Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

" PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with The Dropper ...

PP.O name: The Dropper
    Current City: Portland, Ore.
    Hometown: Grand Forks, ND
    Occupation: Restaurant administrator, full-time student, sometime distiller.

1) How did you choose your screen name? I'm clumsy. Alas, I wish there was more to it than that, but I'm constantly dropping things.

2) The Dropper, could you tell us a little about where you grew up and about your family? Well, I was born and raised in the fine city of Grand Forks in the Red River Valley. Not a bad place to be raised, I suppose, but not terribly exciting either. One thing I do appreciate about growing up there though, is that when you leave, every other place seems magnificent. Now that I've put some distance between myself and my boredom-ridden teens, I actually find a lot of beauty in North Dakota and love going back to visit.

3) What type of student where you in High School? Did you play in any sports or where you involved with any school clubs and such? I was somehow a straight A student, social deviant, choir boy, and skateboard punk all at once. Fact.

I didn't play any team sports, but like I spent a good deal of my time skateboarding from about 8 years old onward. Nowadays I don't get on my board much anymore, but the wifey got me into soccer a few years back and we play in an indoor league.

Despite my being in choir, I really didn't end up hanging out with that crowd. My scene was considerably less wholesome...well, for Grand Forks anyways.

4) What did you do after High School? Immediately after I went on a 2 month road trip around the US. I decided I wanted to live in Eugene, OR, so I did. Hazy days.

A couple of years later I went to culinary school, and have essentially worked in food service since, mostly for microbreweries. Now I'm back in school while also working part time, and I'll be done in June. After that, it'll be law school more than likely.

5)What was your first job?
    Workin' at the car wash!

6) When did you decide to be such a dedicated fan of the Minnesota Vikings? When my grandfather told me I was a Vikings fan. I was about six. He was probably one of the only authority figures I ever listened to. Obviously he gave good advice.

OK, so I didn't really become dedicated until a little older, but as long as I can remember I've been a Vikings fan.

7) Could you tell us one of your favorite memories that has to do with the Vikings or one of its past or present players, coaches, etc.
    My dad took me to see Joey Browner speak at the Elks Club when I was, oh, probably 7-8 years old. Great speaker with a good sense of comic timing (from what little I remember). Told a story that I still recall about how no one wanted to play on the Minnesota Vikings when he was drafted because they had the unfashionable uniform choice of black shoes with white socks. Fortunately for Joey, they switched to white shoes shortly thereafter.

8}How did you come to find PP.O and what attracted you most to the site?
    I guess I just stumbled across it. I was attracted by the pretty colors, but I stayed for the content.

9) What other sports teams do you follow? I'm a proud member of the Timbers Army (Portland's un-American Football Team):
    [youtube=425,350]ISxNURopKOM[/youtube]
    Portland Lumberjax Lacrosse (yes, that is me):
    [img width=450 height=337]http://a138.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/31/l_2c5618f82fe8b809460615b6709d07c1.jpg[/img]
    I'm also a fan of Oregon Ducks Football and Basketball. And I'm a sometimes fan of the Trailblazers and Portland Winterhawks (farm team for the Chicago Blackhawks), but I'm pretty fairweather with these last two.

10) When you’re not on PPO what could you likely be found doing with your spare time? Well, I don't have much free time, but when I can I try to squeeze in some reading or exercising my dogs (and by proxy, myself). Oh, and there's that drinking thing, but what do you expect from someone who's worked for microbreweries and distilleries the last seven years?

11) Do you say a special prayer before Vikings games?
    No, but I have a pregame ritual. It involves a great deal of bacon, hashbrowns, eggs, and coffee (games here on the West Coast are on at 10 am). This is followed by copious amounts of alcohol.

12)Where do you watch away Vikings games? There are a few different bars in these parts. I have a crew that includes my brother and a mixed bag of hooligans that generally move around throughout the season. Where we go depends on whoever wins the weekly debate (no smoking vs. pro-smoking vs. good breakfast vs. cheap breakfast vs. good beer, etc).

13)What is your worst fear?
    Losing the people I love.

14) What type of hobbies do you enjoy? I compose music from time to time (generally small chamber ensemble or choral pieces). I also play the vibraphone, guitar, and accordian, but unfortunately I haven't had any time for those in a while.

15) What’s your favorite food? Bacon and butter (if there is such a place as heaven, this damn well better be served at the pearly gates). I'm also a big fan of foie gras, veal sweetbreads, well-marbled beef, sheep kidneys, lamb osso bucco, well-crafted ales and Bourbon.

16) Where are some of the places you’ve been, and where are some of your favorites. I've been in 34 states and 10 countries (outside the US), but I can't say I've spent a lot of time in each. My favorite places that I've actually spent time in are the Italian Riviera, Prague, Holland (primarily Amsterdam and Nijmegen), Southern Spain (Seville, Grenada, and Malaga in particular), and Greece (especially Peloponnese).

17) What is one thing you've always wanted to do, but haven't done yet in your lifetime? Save another person's life (at least not that I'm aware).

18)If you could live anywhere where would it be?
    I wouldn't want to live anywhere else but Portland as far as the US is concerned, but I'd really like to live in southern Spain someday. Maybe that's where I'll retire if I have any kind of money to do so.

19) Do you believe the Vikings will have their big day someday? When they do win the Super Bowl, what will be the first thing you think you will do? Of course they'll win the Superbowl someday. When they do, I will cry like a little girl. Tears of sweet joy.

20) Up to this date, what is one of your favorite PPO memories? Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to meet a ton of PPO'ers. I was at the dome for the Bears game this last season, but I couldn't find the PPO tent right away so I didn't have too much time to hang out.

I did have a helluva good time getting smashed with PacNWVike up at Qworst Field in Seattle in '06 (which happened to be the best game the Vikes played that year).

Otherwise all of my happiest memories are well documented in the taking a dump thread.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: " PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with The Dropper ...

That is a wicked beard you're my new favorite poster. I bet Jared Allen will rock that one day.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

14) What type of hobbies do you enjoy? ...I also play the vibraphone ...
    Does that count?
    I'm assuming that has something to do with 900 #s.

Great read!
    Look forward to meeting you someday.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Nice, always loved the state of Oregon...but I've never been there... hahaha.

I'm also a fan of Ducks football and I hope to live in Portland at least for a couple years.

You're beard/mutton-chops seem Duane Allman inspired. Cool stuff.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

Well done there.. good read overall.

I didn't know you were related to Favre..
    ;D

19) Do you believe the Vikings will have their big day someday? When they do win the Super Bowl, what will be the first thing you think you will do? Of course they'll win the Superbowl someday. When they do, I will cry like a little girl. Tears of sweet joy.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"BadlandsViking" wrote:

20) Up to this date, what is one of your favorite PPO memories? Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to meet a ton of PPO'ers. I was at the dome for the Bears game this last season, but I couldn't find the PPO tent right away so I didn't have too much time to hang out.
    WTF???
    Two time zones and you couldn't find a big purple tent right under a giant billboard?

Next time - no excuses!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"The" wrote:
    Otherwise all of my happiest memories are well documented in the taking a dump thread.
    That's always a good place to store your fond memories.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"Prophet" wrote:
    14) What type of hobbies do you enjoy? ...I also play the vibraphone ...
    Does that count?
    I'm assuming that has something to do with 900 #s.

Great read!
    Look forward to meeting you someday.
    Vibraphone.

"Zeus" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:

WTF???
    Two time zones and you couldn't find a big purple tent right under a giant billboard?

Next time - no excuses!

=Z=
    I was given faulty directions. And I may have been intoxicated. Maybe.

We did meet though, however briefly. And I gave Webby a bottle of hooch.

Here's a few updates:

1) I'm definitely distilling more again. I would say my job title is Distiller/sometime foodie at this point.

2) I've been accepted to several law schools, so that's where I'm headed next fall. As it stands right now, I'll probably be attending the University of Oregon, but I haven't ruled Lewis & Clark out yet (still waiting to hear a final decision from them).

3) Here's a somewhat more recent pic next to my primary still (unfortunately, sans beard):

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast