Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

" PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with Turboe ...

PP.O name: Turboe
    Current City: Greenville, SC
    Hometown:
    Wolsey, SD

1) How did you choose your screen name?

My college roommate and teammate (see #3 & 4 below) started calling me "Turboe" because of my last name, and the name stuck.
    It stuck so much that a large percentage of people in college didn't know my real name, but only knew me by Turboe.
    So it was only logical to use it as my screen name.

2) Turboe, could you tell us a little about where you grew up and about your family?

I grew up as I said in Wolsey, SD the youngest of three kids to the best parents anyone could ever ask for.
    My dad worked 2 or sometimes 3 jobs to help give us kids better chances at things they didn't have.
    Going to college etc.
    Great role models, I just hope I can be half as good of example for my kids.
    As for my own family now, I have a wife (of 6 years) and three beautiful girls (16, 12, and 4) in the house to keep me busy.
    The 4yr old will often wear her Sharper jersey and hang watching the game with me (especially if she thinks it will keep her from having to take a nap on a Sunday afternoon).
    I think I told the story on here about her asking to watch the Vikings game a few weeks ago which brought a tear to my eye, but if I didn't I can do it on here later.

[img width=450 height=600]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/Turboe/Vikings/2007-08-13_3311.jpg[/img]

3) What type of student where you in High School? Did you play in any sports or where you involved with any school clubs and such?

Decent student from a grade standpoint
    Math and science anyways, I never could spell or punctuate properly, which you have probably noticed if you have ever read any of my run-on sentances (including this one.)
    I played Football (9-man), Basketball, and sort of did Track in HS.
    Although recruited more for football in college (we had one of the best teams in SD High School at the time so you get a lot more attention), I decided to play only basketball in college (and that is how I got the name Turboe).

4) What did you do after High School?

I mentioned basketball in college which helped get me through the South Dakota School of Mines (also known as SD Tech).
    Our claim to fame was being named by Sports Illustrated one year as having one of the best college mascots/nicknames we were the SD Tech Hardrockers, pretty cool huh?
    Eventually after 5 years a several beers I graduated with a BS in Metallurgical Engineering.

5)What was your first job?

Moved to Pittsburgh and got a job at a Steel Mill in Latrobe, PA as a Metallurgical Engineer.
    After a few years I "Turned to the Dark Side" and went into sales which lead me eventually to starting my own business as an independent sales rep.
    I have been doing this since 2000, and love it.
    I was assuming you meant my first "real" job like towards my career.
    If you meant my first job it was probably mowing lawns or picking rocks on a farm, plus I have some great storys I could tell about working at the nearby meat packing plant during the first couple of summers during college (great motivation)!

6) When did you decide to be such a dedicated fan of the Minnesota Vikings?

I cant remember any particular moment, I just always remember cheering for the Vikes when I was little even though my big brother was a Steelers fan (that is a good story too, but I am getting too long winded here maybe in a follow up post).
    I think it didn't hurt that I had a friend whose family would trek to Met Stadium most seasons for one game, and I started going with his family fairly often.

7) Could you tell us one of your favorite memories that has to do with the Vikings or one of its past or present players, coaches, etc.

I remember going to the games at Met Stadium as a kid and I remember the vendors having hot chocolate in some kind of stainless steel keg apparatus that exploded all over some people a few rows in front of us.
    I remember pulling into the Met parking lot with his parents camper one night a day early thinking we were going to camp out for the night and get an early start on tailgating on Sunday only to find out that the crowd of people was actually showing up for a Sat night Northstars game at the Met Center.
    My buddy and I left his parents in the camper and I saw my first ever hockey game that night.
    As far as individual players the best moments have been meeting and almost getting to play with Daunte at a charity golf tournament in FL before his rookie year (I can tell more about that later if you havent heard it before) and then a few years back meeting and eventually gettting to play a couple rounds of golf with Matt Blair who is the nicest guy you ever want to meet.

[img width=450 height=558]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/Turboe/Vikings/Daunte.jpg[/img]
    [img width=450 height=565]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/Turboe/Vikings/Scan0007.jpg[/img]
    (just some of the episodes that lead to Official PPO Hamper hider title I got)

8}How did you come to find PP.O and what attracted you most to the site?

Someone (I wish I could remember who so that I could thank him) mentioned the name one time and I came in to check it out, and it feels like I have never left since.

9) What other sports teams do you follow?

Probably the only other main team I follow pretty closely is the Lakers (hey my Vikings Room in the basement's colors are pretty much right for a Lakers Room also, but most all of the artwork is Vikings stuff).
    Most other sports I have several teams I pull for, and I tend to root for teams near where I have lived as I have moved around the country.
    I actually spend more time in the Vikings Room watching golf than I do anything since that season lasts longer.

10) When you’re not on PPO what could you likely be found doing with your spare time?

Either working (yes I do that periodically) which is mostly spent behind the wheel putting on my 50,000 miles a year that I normally do.
    I am kind of sick, but I actually love being behind the wheel, it has gotten much more enjoyable since I got a BMW 5-series for my company car a couple of years ago (what the heck I am the boss right and I drove enough Tauruses when someone else called the shots), so that is where you will find me.
    But most likely if business is good, and I have gotten all my work done, you would find me golfing.

11) Do you say a special prayer before Vikings games?

I don't know about a particular special prayer, but I do say a little prayer I guess, and I do have the superstition of trying to have a bratwurst (or two) for every game.
    I boil them (normally Johnsonville) in beer (normally Miller Light, I keep the fancier ones for pouring down my throat) and a quick trip on the grill.
    Then I have to make sure that they last long enough so that I am eating one during both an offensive series and a defensive one as well.

12)Where do you watch away Vikings games?
    Home and Away games in the aforementioned Vikings Room with DirecTV and my new (last year) 65" Mitsubishi TV, it is almost like heaven.
    Was I the only one that was really torqued off that the last game of the year vs Denver was the only one that was not in HD on the NFL Ticket Superfan package?
    By the way since I have family responsibilities I often have to catch portions of the game on a delayed basis with TiVo and that is why I often wont be in the LIVE CHAT so that I don't know what is going to happen.
    Although this year will be fun because about half of our away games are in the Southeastern US (Generally) so maybe I will get to see a new stadium this season (JAX or TN).

13)What is your worst fear?

That I will loose gainful employment, and this entire gig that I have going will come to a screeching halt.
    That and also that they put AD on the Madden cover and something happens.

14) What type of hobbies do you enjoy?

As I mentioned above golfing.
    I am lucky enough to do some volunteer work for Golf Digest Magazine evaluating golf courses for their national rankings in their magazine.
    It has gotten me to many of the finest courses all across the country and allowed me to meet some really interesting people along the way.

[img width=450 height=317]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/Turboe/Vikings/trump1.jpg[/img]
    Me and Trump, now that's a real long story. (again you see how I got the PPO.Hamper hider title).

15) What’s your favorite food?

Ohh man that is the hardest question yet.
    Does "All of them" count as an answer?
    How about Chinese or Pizza.
    And of course a good beer.
    Used to be wings, but my wife the dietician has ruined some of the enjoyment of the foods I used to like most.

16) Where are some of the places you’ve been, and where are some of your favorites.

I have been fortunate to get to Europe a couple of times on business and the UK (Scotland) on a golf trip, all over the US and Puerto Rico.
    Hawaii is probably my favorite place I have been a few times, but as far as a single golf experience playing Cypress Point on the Monterey Peninsula several years back takes the cake.

17) What is one thing you've always wanted to do, but haven't done yet in your lifetime?

Play golf at Augusta National.
    If anyone has any connections, I would need about 2.5 hrs advance notice!

18)If you could live anywhere where would it be?

Probably Hawaii, or maybe Sedona, AZ

19) Do you believe the Vikings will have their big day someday? When they do win the Super Bowl, what will be the first thing you think you will do?

I sure do, and after this year I am feeling like I might actually still be young enough to know that it is happening.
    I would say that the first thing I would do is go out on the front porch and blow my Vikings horn, but you know I would hope that I might be there at the game.
    That actually brings up a good question that I thought about this year.
    We have a neighbor that hosts a killer Super Bowl party every year that I love going to.
    He has a 60" Plasma on the wall and great theater seating, etc.
    It is a great place to watch the game with no distractions allowed in that room.
    But I started thinking if the Vikings were in the game and I couldn't get tickets to be there myself would I rather be there enjoying the day with a group of people, or for superstitious reasons would I have to be holed up down in the Vikings Room by myself just like I was every week during the games leading up to the game?
    Let me throw the questions back on all of you, what would you do if the Vikes were in the big game?

20) Up to this date, what is one of your favorite PPO memories?

Certainly getting the title of Official PPO Hamper Hider was a day I knew I had officially arrived here.
    I dont get a chance to post nearly as often as some, but I hope that I have some quality if not quantity going for me.
    Other than that getting this message to know that I was being selected for the "20 questions" hall of fame was good as well.
    Man as long winded as I got on some of these, you will rue the day you ever sent me this message!

Wow that was kind of fun.
    And now that I have put everyone to sleep, I shall conclude.
    By the way someone IM me if I happen to get busy and miss when this gets posted.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: " PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with Turboe ...

Thanks for sharing Turboe.

I just hope I can be half as good of example for my kids.
    My guess is you will.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Nice read. I like the long ones, where you get all the information.

As I said in my own one, I'll celebrate a Vikes SB win here on PP.O, and then probably head to bed, as it will be early morning here.

Good luck on the business going forward.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Let me know when you need a new BMW...now THAT I do have a connection to.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Good stuff, Turboe!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Nice read Turboe, you need to elaborate on your teaser stories.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Good to learn more about you turboe!
    You didn't say if you ever went to games in the dome.
    If not, you should make it a priority before they tear the shithole down.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

Excellent read, thank you for sharing. Sound like a man that has lived his life fully to this point. May many memories follow.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Nice to meet you, Turboe...good read. So you go from SD to SC, huh? Nice golf country there in SC.

And a good choice of Sedona, AZ...would love to live there too.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Jilly is offline Coach

11) Do you say a special prayer before Vikings games?

I don't know about a particular special prayer, but I do say a little prayer I guess, and I do have the superstition of trying to have a bratwurst (or two) for every game.
    I boil them (normally Johnsonville) in beer (normally Miller Light, I keep the fancier ones for pouring down my throat) and a quick trip on the grill.
    Then I have to make sure that they last long enough so that I am eating one during both an offensive series and a defensive one as well.

Nice to know more about you Turboe. I love the pictures, your daughter is adorable. Where's the picture of you and Brett? You know the one, it was taken on your front doorstep. LOL

Strange ritual but if you think it helps...keep it up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast