Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

" PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with VikingMD ...

PP.O name: VikingMD
    Current City: Odenton, MD (midway between Baltimore and Washington DC)
    Hometown: Boone, Iowa
    Basically, I review personnel security background investigations for DOD employees and contractors and decide whether or not they deserve a TS/SCI security clearance.

1) How did you choose your screen name? Zero effort and creative thought went into choosing my screen name. I signed up quickly and used MD due to that fact that I’m residing in Maryland right now. I would like to change it but I read that requesting screen name changes was frowned upon so I guess it’ll stick.

2) VikingMD, could you tell us a little about where you grew up and about your family? Well I was the youngest of six kids. My parents are from Minnesota and my oldest siblings were born in Litchfield but by the time I came around the family had moved to Boone, Iowa.

I loved everything about growing up in a small farming community in the Midwest. Life was simple, it was a close community where everyone knew each other and us kids could stay out catching fire flies late into the night. When I was 11, my Dad was offered a job out in California so we packed up and moved to Bakersfield. I was devastated at first but quickly fell in love with California which is why I won’t mind when the Vikings move to LA. Just kidding, the idea of it really pisses me off.

3) What type of student where you in High School? Did you play in any sports or where you involved with any school clubs and such? I was a decent student but thinking back now, I wish I hadn’t focused so much on the social aspect but rather more on academics. I played volleyball and was on the swim team but slowly lost interest by my junior and senior years. I was known more for my partying skills.

4) What did you do after High School? Went to Cal State Bakersfield for a year but after struggling with tuition I joined the Army, went Airborne and got stationed in Fort Bragg. Six months later, the first Gulf War broke out and I got sent to Saudi Arabia.

5) What was your first job? First paying job? I’m from Iowa, I detasseled corn, and I sprayed beans.
    Sounds pretty hokey but it was good money at the time.

6) When did you decide to be such a dedicated fan of the Minnesota Vikings? I was born into a Viking family. My father and brothers are dedicated Viking fans and as I grew up, it just came naturally. Being a Viking fan was nothing that was crammed down our throats as children but rather something that we all were proud to be part of.

7) Could you tell us one of your favorite memories that have to do with the Vikings or one of its past or present players, coaches, etc? I met my husband because of the Vikings. During the first Gulf War, I had a co-worker from NY who was talking smack that the Giants would beat the Vikings in an upcoming game. I took the bet. My side of the bet was to make him do my laundry which was quite a chore considering it was done by hand with only a 5 gallon jug of water. He bet a kiss. The Giants won so I had to pay up. The night we got back stateside, he asked me out and we have been together since. Our 16 year wedding anniversary will be this May. Great thing is, he eventually became a Viking fan which turned out pretty good because I never would have become a Giants fan. Never ever.

8} How did you come to find PP.O and what attracted you most to the site? I was searching for a good Vikings bar that we could hang out at prior to the game, and this site came up. BTW, there is just a blank page listed for Viking bars on the PP.O website. Anyhow, what I found was much better. I quickly realized that I am just a fan of the Vikings while the rest of you are crazed fanatics. I thought I knew a lot more about the game but I don’t…although I’m learning and one day, I’ll start to throw my two cents in on more football related threads.

9) What other sports teams do you follow? Andy is a huge baseball fan so I’ve learned to appreciate it as well. He follows the Mets, and I keep track of the Twins but not obsessively. We live 20 miles from Camden Yards so we usually go to several O’s games throughout the season and in a few weeks, we’ll be down in Florida to catch a few Twins spring training games.

10) When you’re not on PPO what could you likely be found doing with your spare time? Hanging out with my husband, my friends, and playing with my dogs. I used to run quite a bit. I did a few 10 and 15k runs in the past so I have been working out lately to get back into running shape. I also plan to apply to graduate school.

11) Do you say a special prayer before Vikings games? No, never before a game but I usually do by the fourth quarter. Mostly I promise the Lord that I’ll give more to charities and have better attendance at church, etc…

12) Where do you watch away Vikings games? In 1996, we came back from a tour in Germany and Andy got stationed at MacDill AFB. We used to watch every Viking game at Sneaky’s Sports Bar in Largo, FL which is home to the Central Florida Minnesota Vikings fan club (great group of people). Since we have been in Maryland, we got the NFL package and watch every game from home.

13) What is your worst fear? Needles, snakes, and the continuance of the Vikings SB drought.

14) What type of hobbies do you enjoy? Kayaking, skiing, and going to the beach. Mostly anything that involves the sun and water.

15) What’s your favorite food? Authentic Mexican food. If you live in a border state, you know what I’m talking about. Not the crap you find in Maryland.

16) Where are some of the places you’ve been, and where are some of your favorites. We lived 3 years in Germany and during that time, we made it to France, England, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, Austria, and Czechoslovakia. I loved everything about Europe and would jump at the chance to go back.

17) What is one thing you've always wanted to do, but haven't done yet in your lifetime? I would like to make a trip to Sweden to search out my ancestry. Oh, and also see the Vikes in the Super Bowl.

18) If you could live anywhere where would it be? I’ve been to Lake Tahoe many times, my sister lives less than two hours away. It is my dream to own a cabin in Tahoe. If you haven’t been, you must go.

19) Do you believe the Vikings will have their big day someday? When they do win the Super Bowl, what will be the first thing you think you will do? Absolutely! And when they do, I’m going to Disneyworld.

20) Up to this date, what is one of your favorite PPO memories? Andy and I were lucky enough to make it to two games this past December. I had only signed up to PP.O the week prior to going but we were welcomed with open arms at the tailgate. Everyone was so nice. We can’t wait to make another trip this coming season, especially now that I feel I have gotten to know some of you a little better.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: " PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with VikingMD ...

Thanks for sharing, thanks for converting a Giants fan to a Vikings fan and above all, thanks to both of you for your service to your country.

Hey,

Basically, I review personnel security background investigations for DOD employees and contractors and decide whether or not they deserve a TS/SCI security clearance.
    Can you check on mine?
    Been a ongoing investigation for about 6 months.

;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingMD" wrote:
    20) Up to this date, what is one of your favorite PPO memories? Andy and I were lucky enough to make it to two games this past December. I had only signed up to PP.O the week prior to going but we were welcomed with open arms at the tailgate. Everyone was so nice. We can’t wait to make another trip this coming season, especially now that I feel I have gotten to know some of you a little better.
    That's brilliant!
    It was so cool to meet you and Andy, like you said, right after you signed up!
    And then to spring for another game for your Christmas present, super cool!
    You kids are awesome and I hope you get out here for a game or two this fall!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks for sharing, thanks for converting a Giants fan to a Vikings fan and above all, thanks to both of you for your service to your country.

Hey,

Can you check on mine?

;D
    Have you had the cavity search yet?
    I hear that can either be pleasant or not so pleasant.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Good stuff. This is how you quickly become a favored member here. Get to the game, and meet the rest of the bunch.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Great to know you (and Andy), VikingMD. Thanks to you both for your service to our country.

I’m from Iowa, I detasseled corn, and I sprayed beans.
    Sounds pretty hokey but it was good money at the time.
    What is it with "detasseling corn"? I had never heard of it before...and it seems as if this was the first job for everyone on PP.o!

He bet a kiss.
    Smart man...he must be crazy for you...Giant fans don't usually change their colors.

Andy is a huge baseball fan so I’ve learned to appreciate it as well. He follows the Mets
    Repeat, smart man.
    ;D
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

When I saw VikingsMD, I always assumed you were a doctor.

These threads are great!
    I love learning a little bit about the fellow members on here.
    I cant wait until my own responces make their way to the top of the que.
    These things are so thorough that I think I might actually learn something about myself that I dont know (or it might just be that in the time between answering the questions and responding and when it gets posted I might have forgotten something about myself).
    ???

Seriously though, good stuff VikingsMD, and I also want to thank you both for your service to this great country.

Do you or the hubby play golf?
    I have a buddy who is ex-Army that is living in DC now and I am thinking about a potential golf get-away this summer to see him.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Nice read and glad that you decided to stick around with PP.O.

I quickly realized that I am just a fan of the Vikings while the rest of you are crazed fanatics. I thought I knew a lot more about the game but I don’t…although I’m learning and one day, I’ll start to throw my two cents in on more football related threads.
    We're all fanatics in our respective ways, even you

Feel free to start throwing those two cents more often, there's a lot here that learn more about the game than they currently know or will admit to. Everyone knows something that someone else doesn't, just a matter of putting the info out there
    ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Hey,

Can you check on mine?

;D
    Have you had the cavity search yet?
    I hear that can either be pleasant or not so pleasant.

=Z=
    thats why its been ongoing for 6 months.. he keeps going back for it
    ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Ah... MD =
    Maryland... I just thought you were a Doctor.

Nice to learn more about you.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast