Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

" PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with cogitans ...

PP.O name: Cogitans
    Current City: Aarhus
    Hometown: Kolding

1) How did you choose your screen name?
    I have used it for different aliases on the internet over the years. At one point I tried to look for some cool name, and I came up with this. It means 'thinking' in latin

2) cogitans, could you tell us a little about where you grew up and about your family?
    I grew up in a town of around 60.000 inhabitants. Pretty uneventful really. My family is basically the standard nuclear family. My dad is an electrician, and works in a company that sets up fire and burglary alarms. My mother is employed at a bank.
    I have a brother, who is 4 years younger than I. He is currently studying to become a physical therapist.
    My dad has two brothers and two sisters, and my mother has one sister. Between them they have 11 children. Everyone lives in the same town, as well as both my grandmothers who are still alive, so we have a fairly large family.

3) What type of student where you in High School? Did you play in any sports or where you involved with any school clubs and such?
    To some extent I guess I have always been the one who did fairly well in school, so I took the school stuff seriously.
    We don't have the same kind of on school activities as you do in the US, with sports and clubs, but I always were a sports freak. During my high school years, I played soccer, volleyball, fitness and probably some other sports as well.

4) What did you do after High School?
    I had one year where I taught primary school as a substitute teacher, before I started college.
    It were pretty fun, and I got to earn a decent wage. I think I got to try to teach every grade from first to 9th, in all kinds of courses from German to gym.

5)What can you tell us about your country?
    Well where do I start. We're not that big a country. Around 5.5 mio. inhabitants. But most of us is pretty proud of our little corner of the world.
    We're a constitutional monarchy, so we have a royal family. The head of that is our Queen, Margrethe II. Her son Crownprins Frederik will eventually follow her. He is married to an Australian woman, and they have two children.
    We're a member of the European Union, but as such we of course have our own politics. We are a member of the coalition with the US, and has contributed all the way in Iraq. Our forces went home recently, so our focus is to be solely on Afghanistan, where our troops battle in the south. We fight along side the British, Dutch and Canadian forces (probably some others), and want more support, from other European countries.
    We have very high taxes in Denmark, among the highest in the world, but most pay them with joy, because we know how it pays for one of the very best welfare societies in the world. We also have a model of flexicurity, where employing and firing of staff is easy, and in exchange there is a generous support of unemployed in the first period, which together gives good dynamics. Many countries are trying to duplicate the system in some way.
    In culture we're mostly know for Authors like Hans Christian Andersen and Søren Kirkegaard. Our most common attraction is the little mermaid statue. But should some of you decide to visit, I might be able to point you in the direction of something a little more interesting.

6) When did you decide to be such a dedicated fan of the Minnesota Vikings?
    We started to get footage from the NFL sometime in the 90ies. I think it were around 93-94 but I'm not sure. I remember that it were when Moon were our QB. The first years we only got the weekly recap of the games, with a weeks delay. Only exception were the Superbowl, which were broadcasted live.
    Anyway, I saw it with interest, and at some point I saw the Vikings, and were mainly impressed by Carter, so at that point I became a fan, and I got myself a Vikings cap.
    It were not till 2000 or 2001 we got real good coverage of the NFL like we have now. At that point I really started to up my interest in the game and the team.

7) Could you tell us one of your favorite memories that has to do with the Vikings or one of its past or present players, coaches, etc.
    I remember how I followed the team in the 2004 season well, because I were living in Belgium, watching the games in a sportsbar each week. I got to meet a good handful of other fans. It were a delight when we beat the Packers by the way, so maybe that were the best memories, since we were the underdog. However I remember the loss to Philly better.
    Some of those I had met were Philly fans, and there were one American and a Canadian guy, who were real good sports about it, and we had a good time. However there were this other guy, that had been at the bar all year. I started of by saying: Hey Mark, today it's your team against mine. To which he responded:
    Have you ever been to Minnesota? I said no, and he said, well I were born in Philadelphia, so shut the fuck up.
    No need to say it were downhill from there. Of course we lost the game, and a huge crowd of Philly fans were obnoxious as hell.

8) How did you come to find PP.O and what attracted you most to the site?
    It's a sad thing that I actually can't remember how I came across it. But I remember that I hadn't read a lot around the threads until I came across something from Cajun. I caught his sig that said something about, quit reading start posting. That's why I signed up right as I found the place.
    As you all know this place is addicting, so it grew on me quickly.

9) What other sports teams do you follow?
    In soccer I follow my home town Kolding's team, as I also do in handball, which is pretty big over here.
    Also I follow Liverpools soccer team.
    In terms of US sports I don't really follow any others, but a couple of seasons ago people like Shock, SnoBum, WBL and others that kept talking about the Twins, has made me look a little at their results, but only loosely. I'll never be a basketball fan, but I decided that I'm now rooting for Minnesota teams all the way. So count me in for TWolves, Wild and Gophers too.

10) When you’re not on PPO what could you likely be found doing with your spare time?
    The odds are that I'll be reading. I read a lot of books, and more often than not, I have 2-3 books going at the same time.
    Other than that I still do sports. Soccer and I run a little. I haven't played recently though, as my ankle has been messed up a little.

11) Do you say a special prayer before Vikings games?
    I really never pray.

12) What time do the games come on where you live?
    The first ones - noon CST - is on at 7pm here. The next row is then at 10 pm, and then the night games around 2am.
    Needless to say, I don't wish for our team to play Monday night, or really any primetime games.

13) Do any of your friends follow the NFL?
    Yes. I have two friends who coincidentally is both 49ers fans. (There are mostly 9ers fans and Green Bay fans here in Denmark for some reason).
    My cousin says he's a New England fan, and my brother appears to root for Philly.
    I can honestly say though, that I'm the one that follows the NFL the most. Maybe along with one of my 9ers friends. I talk a lot with him about the games.

14) What type of hobbies do you enjoy?
    Well PP.O and the NFL is my hobby
    I don't know what else you define as hobbies. Perhaps my reading. I also enjoy playing games, like card games, and boardgames. I'm not a poker player though.

15) What’s your favorite food?
    Fried slices of pork with parsley sauce and boiled potatoes.

16) Where are some of the places you’ve been, and where are some of your favorites.
    I've only been traveling in Europe. I've been to Norway, Sweden, Germany, France, Austria, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Holland, Bosnia, Croatia and Russia.
    I really enjoy many of the places. Each has it's own charm. Maybe the Northern Italy is one of my favorites. But it was also a huge experience to visit countries like Russia and Bosnia.

17) What is one thing you've always wanted to do, but haven't done yet in your lifetime?
    To see a Vikings game live.

18)If you could live anywhere where would it be?
    Really I want to keep living here in Denmark. If I have to say somewhere else, I'd probably say Italy. I don't speak Italian though.

19) Do you believe the Vikings will have their big day someday? When they do win the Super Bowl, what will be the first thing you think you will do?
    Of course they will at some point. Hopefully it'll be soon.
    The first thing I'll do is probably get on PP.O to share my joy with you people. Then the most likely scenario is that I'll be going to bed, as it'll be around 5 am on a work Monday.

20) Up to this date, what is one of your favorite PPO memories?
    The mornings with Del, Proph and a few others in the yell has probably made me laugh the most. I especially remember Dels stories about his hunting trips, of Prophs tales of his meetings with strange characters around the world.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: " PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with cogitans ...

You were a substitute teacher... I'm sorry man.

Nice to get to know you. Hope to see you at a Vikings game at some point soon.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

davike is offline Team Alumni

Nice to get to know more about you Cog! I look forward to meeting you in person someday!

I have never been to a live Vikes game yet either so I feel your pain
    :'(
    And for me its really sad since I have lived in MN all my life
    :-

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

so that is what your name means....I like that

Nice to get to know you

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"NDVikingFan66" wrote:

Nice to get to know you
    Huh? Where did you see that in his answers?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "NDVikingFan66" wrote:

Nice to get to know you
    Huh? Where did you see that in his answers?
    look at the first question

Jilly is offline Coach

Nice to know a little more about you Cogitans. I'm amazed at the amount of foreigners on this site. I think its great! You need to work a little more at converting the rest of your family and friends into Viking fans...after all, you are from Denmark and it only makes sense to be a Viking at heart.

enlvikeman is offline Hall of Famer

"VikingMD" wrote:
    Nice to know a little more about you Cogitans. I'm amazed at the amount of foreigners on this site. I think its great! You need to work a little more at converting the rest of your family and friends into Viking fans...after all, you are from Denmark and it only makes sense to be a Viking at heart.
    Are you from MD?

"24 mil under the cap? there are teams 30 mil over the cap, heck that gives us at least 50 mil to spend"

CollegeGuyJeff circa 2006

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

You sound like quite the interesting character, Cogs. I've always wanted to visit Denmark, so perhaps our paths will cross someday.

Masters in Poly Sci, eh? You should consider starting a thread on Danish politics. Unlike other political threads there wouldn't be any bickering because no one in the US knows anything about the subject. I have a feeling that a lot of people would find it pretty interesting though.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    17) What is one thing you've always wanted to do, but haven't done yet in your lifetime?
    To see a Vikings game live.
    Start saving now!
    I'm sure the game ticket and a place to stay would end up being free from amongst the many folks of PPO!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast