Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

" PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with Marrdro...

PP.O name: Marrdro
    Current City: Newport Nes, VA
    Hometown: Grand Rapids until 12 years / Northome MN until 1981.
    Occupation: I am a Telecommunications Engineer that specializes in Department of Defense Satellite systems with a background in Networks, Voice (Radio and Telephone), Televison, VTC, and Tactical Communications systems

(If you don't understand that, I can't explain or I would have to kill you).

Suffice it to say, I know a little about alot when it comes to communications.

1) Marrdro, could you tell us a little about where you grew up and about your family?
    I grew up mostly in Northern MN.
    I moslty lived/grew up in towns like Ball Club, Grand Rapids, and Northome MN.

I have 3 Sisters and 2 Brothers that I am the second oldest in the family.
    All three of us boys enlisted in the service with 2 of us retiring as Senior Chief Petty Officers and one still in the Navy that is a Chief Petty officer.

My youngest sister is married to a retired AF (E-7).
    My Oldest Sister and Middle Sister both live in the Twin Cities area.

My Dad and Mom run one of the last custom slaughter plants in the United States that actually will come to your house and butcher a Cow/Pig etc and then take it back to thier meat shop and age, smoke, process it according to your wishes.

I spent many hours in that shop cutting meat, butchering animals and cleaning things.
    Suffice it to say, I don't have to take any of the animals I harvest hunting to someone to process them.

2) What type of student where you in High School? Did you play in any sports or where you involved with any school clubs and such?

I was an OK student who didn't try very hard to get good grades but still maintained good enough grades to keep my Dad from getting mad at me.

I played Hockey and Basketball when I lived in Grand Rapids but when we moved to Northome they didn't have a Hockey program.

I continued with Basketball as well as Baseball, Football and Track in Northome.
    As I have said before, you didn't have to be good to make the team. Pickings were pretty slim in our little town for athletes that didn't work on a farm or log.

I could run forever so I did pretty good in track though.

I did play Trumpet/Coronet for my High School Band (first chair) and during half time I would have to go up on stage and play in Pep Band (Basketball) and March (in my football uniform) while the coach yelled at the rest of the team.

;D
    I wasn't to bad as I made 3rd Chair in state 3 years in a row.

3) What did you do after High School?
    I joined the Army National Gaurd and went to Fort Leonard Wood MO for Army boot camp and then came home and worked as a logger and as a Power Lineman before joining the Navy in 1981.

4)What did you like and what didn't you like about serving our country?
    When I first came in (1979) most military/uniformed people were really looked down on because of Vietnam.

I remember my first time traveling in my Class A's (dress uniform).
    I was so proud to put that uniform on until I hit the Airport and some Hippie spit on me.

Suffice it to say, I bet that little twerp never spit on a soldier again.

What I liked, sounds dumb, but the fact that I was serving.
    I still get a bit choked up when I look at the flag or see another troop in uniform.

They are America's finest my friends.

5) When did you decide to be such a dedicated fan of the Minnesota Vikings?
    I was born to it.
    Seriously, I was born in 1961 into a family of Packer Fans.

Most of my family switched allegiances to the Vikes (New Franchise) but some stayed loyal to the PUKERS.

One of my Uncles who I really worshipped actually got into a fight one day with another Uncle over this.
    I have cheered for them ever since.

6) Could you tell us one of your favorite memories that has to do with the Vikings or one of its past or present players, coaches, etc.

The day I actually saw Wildman (my Son) hurt after a loss and still wear his AD Jersey to school the next day.

By far my most favorite player is and will always be Joey Browner.
    After he left the team (because of Denny) I learned to cherish the team and not get focused on individual players as they will always come and go and it will usually be when you (the fan) don't think they should leave.

7) How did you come to find PP.O and what attracted you most to the site?
    I got tickets for Me, Wildwoman and Wildman to go see the Vikes play the Hated Deadskins at RFK in 2006.

I was searching for a Tailgate party/info on any Vikes fans in DC and found a post on PPO by Cajun.

I soon found a wide variety of post ranging from the "Taking a Dump" thread all the way up to some very intelligent discussions on the Vikings and Football as a whole.

Some of the stuff Del put out as well as current articles by Singer and the guys were instant sellers.

The Mods seemed to be fair and there weren't that many Yutz's posting one line drivel.

9) Do you have any other ties to Minnesota Sports?
    I cheer for all MN teams.
    I have no allegiances to any others with the one exception of VT (Football) and Duke (Basketball).

11) When you’re not on PPO what could you likely be found doing with your spare time?
    Mostly anything that involves family.

All of us hunt, fish together as well as attend events our Kids are in.
    My daughter trains and competes on her Quarter horse and Wildman plays Baseball and Golf for his High School.

12) Do you say a special prayer before Vikings games?
    Believe it or not, I pray almost all the time but very seldom do I bother the good Lord with requests of that nature other than to spare the players form injury.

13) Could you tell us some things about your great State of VA...
    It doesn't get to cold, I can hunt something 8 months out of the year and fish the rest.

15) What type of hobbies do you enjoy?
    Hunting and Fishing and raising my kids (who are really almost done with me
    ;D)

16)
    What’s your favorite food? What’s your favorite tailgate food?

Taco's, Lasagna, Pizza.

Mrs. Webby's dib.
    Man I should have found that earlier in the year.

17) Where are some of the places you’ve been, and where are some of your favorites.
    I have been to every country in the Med, Almost every state in the US, Canada, almost every country on the Western side of South America, Mexico, Greenland while in the Navy and in my current Job.

I have been in almost every ocean or Sea except for the Black Sea and Dead Sea.

I did 4 tours in the Arabian gulf area by the way.
    If it wasn't for the oil, no one would even go there.

My favorite is either MN or VA.
    After traveling so many times I just like to stay at home now.

18) What is one thing you've always wanted to do, but haven't done yet in your lifetime?
    I want to harvest a Elk with my bow and catch a tarpon.

I also (recent goal) am looking forward to holding my grandchildren, when/if my kids decide to have some of thier own.

19) Do you believe the Vikings will have their big day someday? When they do win the Super Bowl, what will be the first thing you think you will do?

That is kindof a silly question for me when you think about it.

;D
    Of course they will win one and I always believe it will be next year.

This is the first time in a long time that I actually believe we are getting close.

20) Up to this date, what is one of your favorite PPO memories?
    Tough question.

I guess it would have to be that a few of you have sent me PM's telling me that I seem to know what I am talking about.

Everyone likes compliments......Thus the reason that I always praise a good post.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Re: " PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with Marrdro...

Good to get to know ya Marty!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Wow, alot of typos.
    Hope Z doesn't get on me to bad.

;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

1) Marrdro, could you tell us a little about where you grew up and about your family?

I have 3 Sisters and 2 Brothers that I am the second oldest in the family.
    All three of us boys enlisted in the service with 2 of us retiring as Senior Chief Petty Officers and one still in the Navy that is a Chief Petty officer.
    ??? I would have never figured you to be petty.
    :-

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Wow, alot of typos.
    Hope Z doesn't get on me to bad.

;D
    There also seems to be a question missing.

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

Ommitting questions eh? Interesting read there Marr.. thanks for your service to this fine country.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

These threads are great. Your posts seem to hold true to the type of guy you are. Very interesting stuff. Glad to know you!
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Jilly is offline Coach

Thanks for your service Marrdro. My hubby just retired after 20 years and you two would have plenty to talk about since he was a commo guy who worked with TACSAT.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Nice to meet you, Marty (aka Mr. Smileys).
    ;D

Really appreciate your service to our great country. That one thing alone tells me a great deal about the type of person you are.

And with all this:

I am a Telecommunicat ions Engineer that specializes in Department of Defense Satellite systems with a background in Networks, Voice (Radio and Telephone), Televison, VTC, and Tactical Communications systems
    How's your TV reception?
    ;D
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

"VikingMike" wrote:
    Nice to meet you, Marty (aka Mr. Smileys).
    ;D

Really appreciate your service to our great country. That one thing alone tells me a great deal about the type of person you are.

And with all this:

I am a Telecommunicat ions Engineer that specializes in Department of Defense Satellite systems with a background in Networks, Voice (Radio and Telephone), Televison, VTC, and Tactical Communications systems
    How's your TV reception?
    ;D
    I was thinking (in the madden voice) - "Now here's a guy who doesn't pay for his satellite TV" as he circles his head...

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast