Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

" PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with Cojomay...

PP.O name: COJOMAY
    Age: ( Don't let this one scare you ) Grin I’ll be 69 on January 6th
    Current City: Germantown, Kentucky
    Hometown: Fargo, North Dakota was where I was born and spent the first 18 years of my life. Then I moved to Minneapolis.

[img width=450 height=298]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/cebuned/P1010059.jpg[/img]

1) Cojomay, could you tell us a little about where you grew up and about your family?

I grew up in Fargo, ND. I have an adopted sister who is five years older than me. But I was an only child. My childhood was pretty normal. I grew up in a very traditional home with both a mother and father. My mom was a stay-at-home mom and my dad was a branch manager of Grant Storage Battery Company. Not much unusual happened in my early schooling. I was a very average student but was very active in sports at a young age because I was bigger than most my age. I played football in Junior High. My parents had a lake cabin in northern Minnesota and I spent most of my summers there with my cousin.

2) What type of student where you in High School? Did you play in any sports or where you involved with any school clubs and such?

Again, I was an average student. I didn’t have a lot of friends but I had a few very close friends that I had since childhood when we were all in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts with one another. I played some football in high school but excelled in swimming. In fact, I held the state record in the 100 yard backstroke for several years.

3) What did you do after High School?

After high school I got a swimming scholarship to Hamline University in St. Paul. My goal was to make the Olympic swimming team but I was one man short of qualifying for the team. I did swim for the US in the Pan American games though but didn’t win my race. I received my Bachelor’s degree in English at Hamline in 1961 and then transferred to the University of Minnesota where I received my Master’s degree in English.

[img width=450 height=337]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/cebuned/0610_z1953_studebaker_starliner25_m.jpg[/img]

4) What was your first car? Or was it a horse and buggy? LOL What did you like about it most? Do you have any one story that reminds you about your first car?

My first car was a 1953 Studebaker Commander that was a deep midnight blue color. Gads, I wish I still had it. It’s probably worth a small fortune today. I loved the sportiness of it and look of 'speed' it projected. It was a 'babe-mobile' for sure except I was very shy when I was in high school and college. (I was, really.) I never picked up any 'babes' in it that I can remember.

5) When did you decide to be such a dedicated fan of the Minnesota Vikings?

I became a Vikings fan when they moved to Minnesota (or actually a bit before). More about that in a later question. I still remember their first game with the Chicago Bears in the fall of 1961 when they won. That was one of the highlights of my watching the Vikings to this day.

6) Could you tell us one of your favorite memories that has to do with the Vikings or one of its past or present players, coaches, etc.

There are so many memories. It’s funny but even though I was VERY CLOSE to the team, I never even thought about autographs, pictures, memorabilia or things like that. Funny, isn’t it. Now all of those things are so popular. And even now I don’t have much in the way of jerseys (I don’t even own one) cards, autographs, etc. I have some Viking clothing which I have bought mostly in the last few years.

7) How did you come to find PP.O and what attracted you most to the site?

I was just looking on the net one day and came across PP.O. I had looked at KFAN’s site but was so turned off by the negativity of it all that I didn’t want to be there although I do post on it very occasionally. I think maybe I’ve made 10 posts there in the last year.
    But PP.O has a sense of 'community' to it and I think a lot of people today are looking for companionship from like-minded people. PP.O fulfills that need for many of us. We can disagree with each other and yet people on the site respect each other’s opinions. I think that has a lot to do with the way Webby and the moderators run the site.
    I sure have met several people that I would love to spend some time with on there and I have learned a lot about NFL football. And chatting with the people on PP.O has made me even a stronger Viking’s fan! Now I look at the game more seriously (although I wish I had more knowledge of the game) while before I looked at it more as entertainment.

9) I've heard some rumors that you have a personal in with the Vikings Org. Or some type of personal tie to the Vikings. Are you willing to share that tie with us now, if it is true that is.

OK, I’m gonna let the 'cat out of the bag' so to speak.
    When I was in college at Hamline, I taught a swimming exercise class at the YMCA in downtown Minneapolis. Max Winter (Winter Park named after him) was one of my students. We got to be really close friends. He would give me tickets to the Minnesota Gopher’s games occasionally. He made me aware that an NFL team was coming to Minneapolis (He was the first president) and when I graduated from Hamline he offered me a job in the spring of 1961 with the Vikings. I accepted a job in the 'public relations' sector of the team and worked with the Vikings for three years while earning my Master’s degree at the University of Minnesota. I was simply a 'gopher' for the higher ups and was low man in my department. But I did get to go to many of the games at Met Stadium and met with all of the players and coaches and was on a first-name basis with several of them. That’s why I said earlier that it was so strange that I never got any memorabilia during that time. I left after three years when I got my advanced degree and went into the newspaper business. So that’s where my love for the Vikings really started. I’ll always be grateful to Max for giving me that opportunity.

Actually someone gave me that name. It happened when I lived in Colorado. So the 'Co' is the abbreviation for that state and someone thought it would be funny to use a similar name to 'Cujo' the dog in the Stephen King novel. I added the 'may' because it is the first three letters of my last name. So it’s really nothing special.

11) When you’re not on PPO what could you likely be found doing with your spare time?

I am an avid bow hunter. I bow hunt for deer and turkeys and when I was in Utah and Colorado as a pastor, I hunted a lot of elk. Got several, too. I have done a lot of hunting in other states and met a lot of great people.

12) Could you tell us what your experiences being a Pastor have given you? And how did this calling to serve come to you?

As I said earlier, I started out in the newspaper business in Bottineau, North Dakota and was quite successful winning several awards. But I tired of it and at 35 years of age I decided it was time for a change. I was never into 'religion.' In fact, I NEVER went to church at all. But my hunting and trapping buddy was the pastor of the Lutheran church where my wife and kids went. I’ll always be thankful to him for never pushing me. But we would talk and I would tell him how stupid he was to believe in the things he did. He never put me down for my views. So I’ve always tried to practice that. I finally ended up taking a 'Adult Class' on the Bible from him just because I wanted to go and show others how stupid this who religion thing was. But as they say, 'A funny things happened on the way to the forum...' I started really getting interested in what I wa reading and studying and the more I read and the more I studied, I found a strong need to want to find out more and more. The pastor finally suggested I go on to seminary if for nothing else to lean more than he could teach me. That led to a three year schooling and I finally became a pastor at age 39. I have served churches in Moab, Utah, Buena Vista, Colorado and now here in Kentucky.

13) Do you say a special prayer before Vikings games?

Do you think it would do any good?

14) Could you tell us some things about your great State of KY...

Well, it’s a LOT warmer than Minnesota. Kentucky in the Springtime with all the redbuds and Dogwood trees blooming is absolutely the most beautiful thing. And then add to that turkey’s gobbling and you have the perfect place. Actually Kentucky isn’t a 'state.' It’s a 'Commonwealth.' It’s because of the form of government.

15) What type of hobbies do you enjoy?

As I mentioned before, hunting. But I have time to work in my garden. I love fresh corn and tomatoes so I raise a lot of both. In the winter months I just sit in front of the computer reading PP.O posts.

16)

What’s your favorite food? What’s your favorite tailgate food?

I love virtually any kind of food. Meatloaf is one of my favorites as are good hot wings.
    My favorite tailgate food is good Polish sausage with some grilled onions and green peppers and some mustard and ketchup.

17) I’m sure you must have done some traveling in your days, where are some of the places you’ve been, and where are some of your favorites.

I’ve been in virtually all the states except Hawaii and Alaska. I love the Rocky Mountains. I want to visit Alaska and my wife and I hope to cruise there in a couple of years.

18) What is one thing you've always wanted to do, but haven't done yet in your life time?
    Hunt brown bears in Alaska with my bow.

19) Do you believe the Vikings will have their big day someday? When they do win the Super Bowl, what will be the first thing you think you will do?

I think they will win it someday, but I have no idea when. I just hope I live to see it. If they won the Super Bowl probably the first thing I would do is die so I could die happy.

20) Up to this date, what is one of your favorite PPO memories?

Man, that’s a tough one. Everyday is a memory on the site. Each day brings new information, laughs, and finding out more about some of my favorite people in the country. One memory that really stands out though was you burning your Culpepper jersey. That was one of the funniest things I’ve seen on PP.O

Thanks John....

You are so welcome and thank you for doing this. I am anxious to read about others. I hope I didn’t bore all the readers.

[img width=450 height=467]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/cebuned/Genna_Davis_And_I.jpg[/img]

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

Re: " PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with Cojomay...

again, great stuff thanks Ned and Cojo!
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Very cool.
    I always wondered what your tie to the Vikings was Cojo.

Good read.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I really do like this idea.
    Great job Ned.

COJO.
    You have got to be one of the most interesting people I have ever met (kindof) in my life.

I wish I had the nads to try to go after Mr. Brownie with my bow.
    Props to you my friend if you do.
    ;D

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

This interview topics are just great,IMHO Marr could be a very good guest too.
    El underdog.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Nice job Coj.. Thanks for sharing. I'm a bowhunter as well.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

These are great threads.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Great job, Cojo and Ned...this is a great idea.
    I notice PP.O is open on your screen.
    ;D Have a Happy New Year!
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

Good read!

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

this is prolly the greatest idea for a thread ever. and prolly wouldnt work on any other forum.
    good job COJ. nice to learn about you
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast