Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

35 Questions with VikingsMike

PP.O name: VikingMike
    Current City: Floral Park, NY
    Hometown: Ozone Park, NY
    Occupation: V.P. Logistics - Ladies/Men’s/Children’s apparel manufacturer

1) How did you choose your screen name? Too complicated to explain... Grin

2) Could you tell us a little about where you grew up and about your family? I grew up in New York City (Ozone Park in Queens county near JFK Airport), with my grandparents, parents, 2 sisters and 2 brothers (I'm the oldest); 9 people under one roof. I had a great childhood. My neighborhood was mixed, so I learned from an early age to treat people of different color and creed equally with respect (or disrespect, as the case called for). My brothers followed me as diehard Viking fans...Tommy's in Texas and Matt's in Florida (one of these years we’ll all meet up at the dome for a game…and the PPo tailgate).

3) What type of student were you in High School? Did you play in any sports or were you involved with any school clubs and such? I was always a good student in school. Played catcher in baseball and O/D line in football.

4) What did you do after High School? Went to Fordham University…joined Alpha Kappa Psi fraternity, which was the best decision I made in college.

5) What was your first job? First real job was with JC Penney in the NY Buying Office’s Intimate Apparel department…repeat, intimate apparel. Wink What a great place for a young guy to start a career…went to modeling sessions (think skimpy clothes), it was pretty cool. As an added bonus, I met my wife Carol while we were working there.

6) When did you decide to be such a dedicated fan of the Minnesota Vikings? During the 1969-1970 season…broke my heart all through the 70’s, but I could never imagine rooting for any other team.

7) Could you tell us one of your favorite memories that has to do with the Vikings or one of its past or present players, coaches, etc. Nothing specific, just watching them over these past 40 years, especially during high school. My best friend was a Cowboys fan...we shared many good (and bad) memories during that time. Living in NY, I never had the chance to meet any of the players, and have never seen them play live. I loved the Vikings of the ‘70’s…my favorite player has always been Alan Page.

Cool How did you come to find PP.O and what attracted you most to the site? It popped up during a Yahoo search. I checked it out, liked the color scheme, joined, posted a bit, went away and “rejoined” the end of 2007. Thanks to Webby and the mods for the great jobs they do.

9) What other sports teams do you follow? Mets, Knicks and Islanders. So the only one without a championship is...

10) When you’re not on PPO what could you likely be found doing with your spare time? Reading, watching movies, riding my bike, hanging out with my wife Carol and enjoying a nice cigar and some brew on the weekends.

11) Do you say a special prayer before Vikings games? No, I figure God’s got more important things to worry about…but we Viking fans sure as hell don’t.

12) Where do you watch away Vikings games? I watch all the games that are not nationally televised either on my laptop (streamtv, thanks Prophet) or at my friend’s house…he’s got the NFL ticket.

13) What is your worst fear? Fear is not an option.

14) What type of hobbies do you enjoy? See point 10 above.

15) What’s your favorite food? Pizza and hot wings.

16) Where are some of the places you’ve been, and where are some of your favorites? Been to a number of places in the U.S., England, Ireland, Greece, Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras. Best place I ever visited was Greece, specifically Mykonos.

17) What is one thing you've always wanted to do, but haven't done yet in your lifetime? Watch the Vikings win the Super Bowl.

18) If you could live anywhere where would it be? Southwest U.S., New Mexico or Arizona.

19) Do you believe the Vikings will have their big day someday? When they do win the Super Bowl, what will be the first thing you think you will do? Yes, I know they will (has anyone yet said they won’t?) At the end of the game, as the clock ticks down, I will be jumping for joy, tears rolling down my cheeks, my daughters and wife will say thank God that’s finally over, my heart will skip a beat, and I will sink back into my chair and light up a victory cigar.

20) Up to this date, what is one of your favorite PPO memories? My single favorite was the Jared Allen thread. Everything else is tied for second place. One day I will have to travel to the dome for a game…that and a SB win will complete my life.

21) Any bad habits? I snore and spend too much time on PPo.

22) Do you have any tattoos or piercings? Not yet.

23) What type of music do you like? I am open to pretty much anything, although I favor rock and the blues. My favorites are Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

24) If you could have 3 wishes granted, what would they be? I need time to work out the other 2, but the first would be a Super Bowl win for the Vikings.

25) Name 1 thing not many people know about you. I am vikesrule from the Packer forum...only kidding marstc09. Grin I have no secrets that anyone is aware of.

26) If you could have any superpower, what would it be? x-ray vision. Grin

27) If given a complete freedom to start afresh, what profession would you choose and why? Car mechanic…I have to feel needed.

28) What is the craziest thing you have ever done? I am a cautious person by nature, so whatever I say here would be completely un-crazy and boring. When I went to Athens in 1982, I made no travel plans, just hopped on the plane as a DHL courier...cost me nothing, but I had to stay one week. Unfortunately, I left my passport in NY. Athens Security actually allowed me through Customs…told me to report to the U.S. Embassy!

29) Which is the funniest prank played on you or played by you? Back in the old days of fraternity life, there was a thing called “Hell Night”. We’d drop off the pledges in the middle of nowhere with no money, little or no clothing, and they had to find their way back to the frat house. Ah, the intelligent things we did. Smiley

30) If you were stranded on a lonely beach, what are the five things that you would want to survive? Hmmm...practic al or not? Not counting people, and in no priority order...beer/whisky, pizza, laptop, a generator and a satellite phone.

31) If you could have dinner with any three people from any time, fictional or non-fictional, who would they be and why? Alan Page, John Lennon and my dad.

32) What's the worst lie you ever told? Did you get caught? a) No, it does not make you look fat. b) Never.

33) How do you deal with someone you don't like?
    If I don't like him, he must be a complete moron...so I would have as little to do with him as possible, probably just ignore him.

34) What is your favorite movie and why? The Godfather. It has everything…love, hate, betrayal, revenge, and many other socially-redeeming qualities. Where else can you see a guy get blown away, and the only thing the hitmen are concerned about is making sure they don’t forget the cannolies. Smiley

35) Which is your most cherished childhood memory? Summer days playing ball from early morning to late afternoon (no adults around), slot cars and Risk on rainy days, a brand new pair of Chuck Taylor con's, and too many other great memories to list.

To put a face with the name, here are 2 recent pictures of me with my wife and 3 daughters:

[img width=450 height=337]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee217/mcmlvi88/Family/FamilyStella2.jpg[/img]
    [img width=450 height=337]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee217/mcmlvi88/Family/Our3Beauties.jpg[/img]

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: 35 Questions with VikingsMike

....5) What was your first job? First real job was with JC Penney in the NY Buying Office’s Intimate Apparel department…repeat, intimate apparel. Wink What a great place for a young guy to start a career…went to modeling sessions (think skimpy clothes), it was pretty cool. As an added bonus, I met my wife Carol while we were working there....
    Fun read Mike.
    Were you drooling over all of them and she was the first person to pay attention to you?
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Great post, Mike! We gotta get lunch again sometime.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

Nice read Mike, a great guy,with sense of humour and great knowledge about football.One of the best ppo ers,hands down.....
    El underdog.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    ....5) What was your first job? First real job was with JC Penney in the NY Buying Office’s Intimate Apparel department…repeat, intimate apparel. Wink What a great place for a young guy to start a career…went to modeling sessions (think skimpy clothes), it was pretty cool. As an added bonus, I met my wife Carol while we were working there....
    Fun read Mike.
    Were you drooling over all of them and she was the first person to pay attention to you?

Definitely drooling (they were unretouched photos of panties, negligees, teddies, etc.).

LOL, I'd say yes, but she still doesn't pay any attention to me.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingMike" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Fun read Mike.

Definitely drooling (they were unretouched photos of panties, negligees, teddies, etc.).

LOL, I'd say yes, but she still doesn't pay any attention to me.
    lmao
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

"C" wrote:
    Great post, Mike! We gotta get lunch again sometime.

How about the week of Jan 26th when the Spaniard is in town.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

"El" wrote:
    Nice read Mike, a great guy,with sense of humour and great knowledge about football.One of the best ppo ers,hands down.....

Can't wait to meet you, El V.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Great read Mike.

I particularly enjoyed this part.

25) Name 1 thing not many people know about you. I am vikesrule from the Packer forum...only kidding marstc09.

You are a great PP.O poster with a beautiful family.
    Thank you for sharing.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

nice to learn more about you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast