Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Are your kid's teachers this stupid

Classroom Trash Can Used As Toilet

CHARLESTON, S.C. - A fifth-grade teacher allowed five students _ a boy and four girls _ to use a trash can as a toilet during a school lockdown drill when no one was supposed to leave the classroom.

The Charleston County teacher, Philip Frandino, was reprimanded last year for putting cardboard around a student's desk and keeping him isolated from his classmates for two hours for talking, The (Charleston) Post and Courier reported Friday.

On Tuesday, Frandino gave the Charlestowne Academy students permission to use the trash can. When a girl used the bathroom, other girls held up jackets to shield the view while other students stood on the opposite wall with their backs turned, school district spokesman Jerry Adams said. Boys also did the same for the boy.

"It's not acceptable," associate superintendent Patricia Yandle told the newspaper.

During the drill, which lasted less than an hour, Frandino called the school's main office and said students needed to use the restroom. It's unclear what the he was told to do, but Yandle said he was not told to have students use the trash can.

"We always learn something" during lockdown drills, school district spokesman Jerry Adams said Friday. "And clearly communications between the classrooms and the main office to get directions on things was one of the issues here."

Adams said as much privacy was given as possible. He also said students were given sanitary wipes.

The teacher was on administrative leave with pay. Frandino did not comment on the situation to The Associated Press.

Adams said officials were still looking into the incident.

"In a drill like this, teachers and principals have discretion and they have to make decisions," Adams said. "I'm not going to second-guess that today."

The school sent a letter to fifth-grade parents explaining that in an effort to follow lockdown procedures and ensure students' comfort, the teacher allowed the trash can to be used as a toilet. The lockdown was practice for an intruder entering the building.

Last year, Caren Weldon walked into Frandino's fourth-grade classroom and found her son surrounded by a cardboard box.

She planned to re-enroll her child this year, but didn't when she found out Frandino would be her son's fifth-grade teacher, she told the newspaper.

"Thank you, Lord, my child is not in that class," she said. "It just shows he makes poor decisions when it comes to the children."

Yandle said if the school had been on an actual lockdown and students needed to use the restroom, she would have encouraged them to think about something other than the bathroom.

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2006/10/14/ap/strange/d8ko0rvo2.txt

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Are your kid's teachers this stupid

Dear God, man...

If it was just a drill, I would have said eff it, and hit the john.

A while back, it was found unconstitutional to deny someone use of bathroom facilities, as it can cause unnecessary public humiliation and hygiene/safety hazards.

I'm not sure of the specific case or court, but there is precident.

In short: when ya gotta go, you gotta go...
    -Sno

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I'm a teacher and we actually just talked about if we had a lockdown and if this teacher was at my school there would be no issue because we were told if this situation were to occur that we should have a bucket or something for the kids to go if they had to.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

outcast316 is offline Pro-Bowler

VKG where do you teach?
    Signature not changing until the Vikings win the Super Bowl. Started- 7/8/2005

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Haha I'd tell those kids to hold it,it'll put some hair on thier chest!

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

"outcast316" wrote:
    VKG where do you teach?

I teach in Brown Deer, WI just North of Milwaukee

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

I don't know what my school would say but they are not allowed to leave the room under any circumstances during a lockdown.
    I don't know about using trash cans as a toilet though, that seems a little extreme.

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

"WBLVikeBabe" wrote:
    I don't know what my school would say but they are not allowed to leave the room under any circumstances during a lockdown.
    I don't know about using trash cans as a toilet though, that seems a little extreme.

Yeah, but what else are they going to do? At least the girls would have somewhere to sit!!

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    "WBLVikeBabe" wrote:

Yeah, but what else are they going to do? At least the girls would have somewhere to sit!!
    They hold it for a little bit.
    It's not that hard.

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

I don't know, when little kids gotta go they gotta go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast