Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Re: YOUR Good Cop Stories

Driving While Black.

Ask Marr sometime about the $750 parking ticket that the meter maid gave me at the Vikings playoff game. Which by the way the Hearing officer threw out after which she said I quote " Was absolutely ridiculous" But that is for another thread....

Honestly I know several good ones but I have had way more bad than I have had good.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

yup
    [youtube=425,350]WNDlf6hA6TY[/youtube]

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I have mostly had pleasant encounters with LEO's (Law Enforcement Officers).
    I did have 1 bad one because of a friend.

As far as good, the best 1 had was one morning around 4am I was on my way to work.
    Nobody was on the road at the time and as I approached a stop light to take a left it went yellow.
    I knew if I went through it would probably turn red before I got there.
    I said what the heck and went for it.

Well, there was a Sheriff Deputy that I did not see.
    He was on me instantly.
    He approached (I had my hands on the wheel, interior light on, and window down).
    He asked me for for license and asked if I knew why I was being pulled over.
    I replied, "Yes sir."

He came back within minutes and gave me my license.
    He said I was getting a verbal warniong and thanked me for my service (I have Army Veteran license plates).
    I said thank you and that was it.

I do carry a concealed gun now so the law is very specific about a traffic stop.
    I put myself in the LEO's shoes; they do not know what they may encounter these days.
    They have to take every precaution.
    If you are polite they will be polite as well.
    This is not the time to be a wise ass.
    A few months ago a local LEO was shot after he pulled over a conceal carry licensee and the cop was fatally shot.

Just follow the rules and when you get caught, man-up and take it.

Blog Entries

I've had two run-ins with a cop

First was a speeding ticket, going 121 in a 90 zone.
    Most cops let first offenses go, he didn't.
    Although it pissed me off, he was doing his job, so whatever.
    gave me a ticket for $250, and the great thing about our crappy legal system, is you can get almost any charge dropped.
    I challenged it in court, and got it dropped to an $80, no demerit point "disobeying a street sign" charge, all likely because the cop did not want to show up in court.
    Overall experience with this cop: okay, can't complain too much

second, I was accused of shoplifting (i wasn't fyi)
    Hauled me and some kid who was shoplifting (i happened to talk to him in the store, so I got hauled in with him) into the back room, and the store owner called the cops.
    While waiting, i managed to sweet talk the owner (happened to be a vikings fan) out of charging us.
    Cops show up and its the regular old powerhungry, asshole in high school who couldn't do anything with his life, so decides to get a job where he can fuck with people anytime he likes (disclaimer: Not labelling all cops as this, but we all know those kind of cops exist).
    After stating my case, and the other kid agreeing with me, he still wanted to charge me.
    he tried convincing the owner to press charges, as if he either a) had a quota to fill, or b) just genuinely like screwing with others.
    Took about 15 minutes of him arguing with the owner to let us go with a warning.
    so overall asshole factor: about an 8.5 out of 10.

overall, I've had more problems than pleasantries with them.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I have mostly had pleasant encounters with LEO's (Law Enforcement Officers).
    I did have 1 bad one because of a friend.

As far as good, the best 1 had was one morning around 4am I was on my way to work.
    Nobody was on the road at the time and as I approached a stop light to take a left it went yellow.
    I knew if I went through it would probably turn red before I got there.
    I said what the heck and went for it.

Well, there was a Sheriff Deputy that I did not see.
    He was on me instantly.
    He approached (I had my hands on the wheel, interior light on, and window down).
    He asked me for for license and asked if I knew why I was being pulled over.
    I replied, "Yes sir."

He came back within minutes and gave me my license.
    He said I was getting a verbal warniong and thanked me for my service (I have Army Veteran license plates).
    I said thank you and that was it.

I do carry a concealed gun now so the law is very specific about a traffic stop.
    I put myself in the LEO's shoes; they do not know what they may encounter these days.
    They have to take every precaution.
    If you are polite they will be polite as well.
    This is not the time to be a wise ass.
    A few months ago a local LEO was shot after he pulled over a conceal carry licensee and the cop was fatally shot.

Just follow the rules and when you get caught, man-up and take it.
    Pretty much sums it up.

Make them as comfortable as possible. STAY IN THE DAMN CAR, keep your hands on the wheel, radio off, light on if it's dark, window down obviously, even keys on the dash. Anything to take some stress out of the officer's job will help you out. Don't be a douchebag, just be polite and honest with them.

And never consent to a search.

Blog Entries

also, a tip i've learned, and heard from people with experience (one was a lawyer) if you get pulled over for a traffic violation, never admit to anything.
    If they say, do you realize you were going 30 over the speed limit, don't say yes.
    If you admit, and they make note of it, you have no case if you choose to challenge the ticket.
    If you stay quiet, (but polite) and get a ticket, usually you can get it bumped down to a lesser violation, or dropped entirely, since no police officer wants to waste hours out of their day to go to court for a speeding ticket. (if its a serious violation, then thats not usually the case)

This just happened like last weekend. In the town I live in we have a new cop and rookies love to give tickets well I was with 2 of my friends and my friend was driving 67 in a 55 he comes to the window and was like I just pulled you over to warn you about your speed Im not going to give you a ticket just slow down then small talked for a second he was super nice which is a nice change for the town I live in since they have all been dicks.

No matter how bad my life gets at least I m not a Packer fan.

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    I'll give you one when they don't pull me over
    Then don't speed dumbass
    ;D

No matter how bad my life gets at least I m not a Packer fan.

enlvikeman is offline Hall of Famer

While patrolling in 1998 I saw a 6 year old girl that I knew walking down the street.
    I knew her from her school and other people in the community.
    I went out of my way like 99% of other cops to approach children and throw the football around or just see how they were doing.
    Anyway I drove by her and waived.
    She waived back and smiled.
    The girl was walking with her mother.
    The mother saw what happened and smacked the girl on the back of the head and yelled "Don't waive at no police" and I could of swore I heard "especially white police".
    That right there was my wake up call.
    And there are thousands of "so called" parents out there to teach their children to hate cops....even before they have any negative interaction with them.

I never let this incident really effect me though.
    I still do my thing.
    But that incident just showed me right there why there are so many people that hate the police....that really don't have a reason to.
    They have just been programmed by parents, movies, cop shows and peers who enjoy crime to hate police.

"24 mil under the cap? there are teams 30 mil over the cap, heck that gives us at least 50 mil to spend"

CollegeGuyJeff circa 2006

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    also, a tip i've learned, and heard from people with experience (one was a lawyer) if you get pulled over for a traffic violation, never admit to anything.

If they say, do you realize you were going 30 over the speed limit, don't say yes.
    If you admit, and they make note of it, you have no case if you choose to challenge the ticket.

If you stay quiet, (but polite) and get a ticket, usually you can get it bumped down to a lesser violation, or dropped entirely, since no police officer wants to waste hours out of their day to go to court for a speeding ticket. (if its a serious violation, then thats not usually the case)
    I have also heard you should really noy say crap.

I know as a concealed handgun carrier if I am ever involved in an incident (and hope I am not) I should say as little as possible.

Also, very important.
    If you are involved in something requiring the law, make sure you are the first to call 911.
    If someone is with you, tell them.
    It's always better to be the first to call.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast