Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: You think soccer is safe ?

"fred3105" wrote:
    Soccer maybe boring to watch but in my opinion the hightlights are better than most football highlights if you have played soccer and know a bit about it.

PS
    Arsenal is better than Chelsea
    With the number of frogs playing for them then they can't be classed as an english club .... lol
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Blog Entries

"vikingTurf" wrote:
    "Seriously, though, Chelsea is just like the Yankees here. They should win the triple next year becasue they will own all of the soccer players in the world"

Exactly why i hate Chelsea.....actually i hate all english teams(soccer that is), but I think Real Madrid is more of a Yankees thing. they have all the top players of the World....whatever, GO AC MILAN!!!!!!!
    actually Man Utd are more like the Yankees - most of their fans have never seen them play live and they are disliked intensely by the rest of the country - always good to see them get beaten !! :lol:

Blog Entries

"eelpout72" wrote:
    im becoming more and more of a soccer fan (the other football) recently espcially w/the US national team who are somewhat respectable now. I actually follow a bit of the European leagues now that there are a number of US players playing in leagues abroad. I saw Manchester United play AC Milan in a friendly last summer too and that was rather fun.

Anyhow, anglovike and englishvike, just wondering what you guys think of US soccer now. Aside from having good goalies, do europeans really have more respect for us now or do they still think that we are kind of a joke? Also, we play a friendly against you guys in Chicago later this summer and am thinking about going. I think that it has been some time since the US has played England.
    I think some europeans still don't think of US soccer as being as strong, but thats mainly through ignorance on their part. You seem to have a good set-up at grass roots level and so the strength will come from there - bit like with trying to establish US football here. Originally a lot of players in the US were european/sth americans coming to the end of their careers hence why it was looked on with not much respect.
    Should be a good game in the summer - if you see a player with big ears and face like a road accident then that wil be Wayne Rooney ...lol has been awhile since England played the US and the last time we played you beat us :-(

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "hawaiianvike21" wrote:
    I saw that on the news and i was like wtf. :shock:

That goalie got hit pretty hard with that flare.

Do you know if they caught all those criminals throwing flares on the field??? Thats pretty bad if people can get awaying carrying flares and other stuff into the stadium.
    Don't think anyone was arrested, the governing body in Europe ( UEFA ) are looking into this and there is the chance of fines for the club and playing games behind closed doors.
    Looking at footage of games in Italy before then taking flares and similar into games is a fairly standard thing for the fans.
    Very strange thing to allow
    Damn, that sucks. They should have jails in their stadiums like the eagles do. :lol:

But that is pretty messed up if they have to playt the game with no crowd there. Ive seen that happen and its quite funny seeing a clip of it. Just imagine if a football game had no fans in the stands. :shock: The home team wouldnt really have an advantage anymore.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

English Vike is offline Starter

i'd say about american soccer there's a little more respect these days but still not as much as there should be, a few more players like Damarcus Beasley would help...class player for PSV in holland, dont know if you guys know but they made the semi finals of the champions league last night as well.

i think a big big chance for you guys is the game with England this summer, USA team isnt anything like the standard of the english team (yet) BUT this is a friendly a long way away from home, its likely England will experiment and maybe not take it entirely seriously whereas i'm sure America will as they know a win could give soccer a big boost in the US. Thats gonna give them a decent chance of victory imo.

I almost feel guilty about the whole Chelsea thing, i've supported Chelsea since i was tiny and half the time we were practically bankrupt. I always hated teams like Man U and Real Madrid but now we have become one of them, still i can live with it if it gives us a championship or two...

Red could learn a thing or two from our owner Roman Abramovic, in 2 years he's spent something along the lines of £220m, which i guess is something like $450m, just on transfer fees for players, not including wages.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I hate stupid people! I don't know why people think doing things like this is ok!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Those Soccer fans are just crazy in general.

eelpout72 is offline Starter

"AngloVike" wrote:
    I think some europeans still don't think of US soccer as being as strong, but thats mainly through ignorance on their part. You seem to have a good set-up at grass roots level and so the strength will come from there - bit like with trying to establish US football here. Originally a lot of players in the US were european/sth americans coming to the end of their careers hence why it was looked on with not much respect.
    There's no doubt that the MLS is subpar compared to many euro leagues, but it seems like it is providing the opportunities for younger Americans to grow and improve. As a result, i think that it helps the US national team as it provides more depth and foundation to select players. I do wonder if soccer will ever make it as a "major" sport here though since there is more competition from other sports (and also because there are no commercial breaks, thus less corporate support).

"English Vike" wrote:
    i'd say about american soccer there's a little more respect these days but still not as much as there should be, a few more players like Damarcus Beasley would help...class player for PSV in holland, dont know if you guys know but they made the semi finals of the champions league last night as well..
    Yup, slowly there are more US players playing in the top leagues or good teams in Europe. Aside from Beasley (PSV), there is Bocanegra (Fulton), Reyna (Man City), Gibbs (Feyenoord), Onyewu (Anderlecht), Cherundulo (Hannover), O'Brien (used to be at Ajax) (not mentioning the goalies). There are a few others playing in the primary or secondary leagues as well but dont start regularly. I realize that these guys are not exactly household names, but at least there are more guys getting experience in top flight leagues and we no longer have a national team comprised of college players.

"English Vike" wrote:
    i think a big big chance for you guys is the game with England this summer, USA team isnt anything like the standard of the english team (yet) BUT this is a friendly a long way away from home, its likely England will experiment and maybe not take it entirely seriously whereas i'm sure America will as they know a win could give soccer a big boost in the US. Thats gonna give them a decent chance of victory imo.
    Already making excuses in case you lose, huh? :wink: Not sure if the US will field its top players either but the game is one week before a world cup qualifier so they may just do so. It would definitely be cool to see Rooney, Beckham, Owen, Gerrard, etc., so hopefully they make their way over here.

"English Vike" wrote:
    I almost feel guilty about the whole Chelsea thing, i've supported Chelsea since i was tiny and half the time we were practically bankrupt. I always hated teams like Man U and Real Madrid but now we have become one of them, still i can live with it if it gives us a championship or two...

Red could learn a thing or two from our owner Roman Abramovic, in 2 years he's spent something along the lines of £220m, which i guess is something like $450m, just on transfer fees for players, not including wages.
    I must say that one of the good things about the NFL is the relative parity amongst teams which provides better competition (aside from a few teams that always seem to suck). This seems to be in stark contrast to European leagues that seem to be dominated by the same teams year after year. I think that this is due to the structure of the NFL whereby bad teams get to choose draft picks first and salary caps prevent teams from accumulating all of the top notch talent. I realize that the US structure of sports seems silly to many others around the world (i.e., instead of having clubs), but I think that there are some real merits here. Although, now that i think about it, it would be rather nice to see the Packers relegated to the Canadian Football League. :lol:

Thanks for the reply, fellas.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

now that i think about it, it would be rather nice to see the Packers relegated to the Canadian Football League. :lol:

[/quote]

:sad: Hey we do have some standards up here. Green Bay has to keep their garbage in Wisconsin.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123