Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

Are you on the "NO-FLY" list?

Just how dumb can some people, and the government be? Pretty dumb!!

[size=18px][align=center] Are YOU on the "No-Fly" List?[/align][/size]

4-Year-Old Boy on Government 'No-Fly' List
    By KRISTIE RIEKEN (Associated Press Writer)
    From Associated Press
    January 05, 2006 2:18 PM EST

HOUSTON - Edward Allen's reaction to being on the government's "no-fly" list should have been the tip-off that he is no terrorist.

"I don't want to be on the list. I want to fly and see my grandma," the 4-year-old boy said, according to his mother.

Sijollie Allen and her son had trouble boarding planes last month because someone with the same name as Edward is on a government terrorist watch list.

"Is this a joke?" Allen recalled telling Continental Airlines agents Dec. 21 at Houston's Bush Intercontinental Airport. "You can tell he's not a terrorist."

She said it took several minutes of pleading and a phone call by the ticket agent to get on the plane to New York.

Allen, a Jamaican immigrant, said workers at La Guardia Airport were even more hard-nosed before their Dec. 26 flight home. She said a ticket agent told her: "You're lucky that we're letting you through instead of putting you through the other process."

The Transportation Security Administration's "no-fly" list was established immediately after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks to prevent people who may have terrorist ties from boarding commercial flights.

"I know the government is trying to protect because of the terrorist attacks, but common sense should play a role in it," Allen said. "I don't think he should go through the trouble of being harassed and hindered."

TSA regional spokeswoman Carrie Harmon said the agency tells airlines not to deny boarding to children under 12 or select them for extra security checks even if their names match ones on the list.

"We do not require ID for children because there are no children on the list," Harmon said. "If it's a child, ticket agents have the authority to immediately de-select them."

Continental spokesman Dave Messing said Thursday that the airline would not discuss its security policies.

Other people with common names who have encountered "no-fly" list problems at airports include Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga., and actor David Nelson from "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet." Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass., has said he had to make several calls to federal officials before his name was separated from the one on the list.
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Re: Are you on the "NO-FLY" list?

If I'm not on the list, I SHOULD be. :lol:

I can't imagine that this does too much good. Couldn't they just change their name and use a fake ID? It had better be pretty hard to fake an ID in this country, or I'm going to be super-pissed!

P.S. No, "racial" profiling against people who look suspicious is not unconstitutional and evil and all that crap. Trust me, some people (including Arabs or Arab-Americans who appear nervous or angry) look more "terroristy" than others. I've seen more than a few white people who are pretty suspicious-looking.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Prophet Guest

I flew to MN a few weeks ago with my 5 yr old son and he got the 'big search'. I guess the spiderman underwear and light-saber sword were threatening.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

If zim and BBQ aren't on the list, they probably should be! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

wow. airports security is a little over rated.
    We're bringing purple back.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

I just flew to CA last week and I'm flying to Austin TX. This Sunday. I had no problems.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I had no problems with TSA on my MN trip, but the last time I came home from the Philippines, in New York on my return the TSA tore my backpack apart and really thought they where onto something big...

I hated to have it happen in front of my wife and son, but they got me......They took my ball point pen away........No Kidding..... Said I could use it as a weapon...........I said, yea bud whatever you say dick, packed my bag and went home with the only ones I truly love...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Del Rio Guest

I would have told them "HA HA you fools the ball point is the least of your worries, I can turn a tube of toothpaste into a bomb!"

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I would have told them "HA HA you fools the ball point is the least of your worries, I can turn a tube of toothpaste into a bomb!"

:grin: :smile: That is a good one! I really like that!
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

MrGopher16 is offline Hall of Famer

haha and then the fact he said bomb would make them bring him into the cavity search room, in which he would be severely violated.
    ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast