Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

Re: Are you going to watch the Olympics?

I'll be watching the hockey for sure. There is alot of pride in the Olympic Hockey games, and most the player play their heart out for the most part.
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

Prophet Guest

page2

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I watched Georg Hackl on his final run. Man this was that guys 5th OL I think.

Did the American from White Bear Lake place in the luge? He was ahead the last time I saw the standings.

Prophet Guest

I got a kick out of this analysis of Kwan vs tomato boy.

=================================

Page2
    Two Words For You:
    KWAN'S. REPLACEMENT.

Who is the heir to Michelle Kwan, the new U.S. Olympic hero to fill the void she left this weekend?

Snowboarder Shaun White.

And he couldn't have come along at a better time. Because here's the problem with Olympic-sized hype:

Michelle Kwan? Drops out.
    Bode Miller? Downhill dud.
    Apolo Ohno? Skating slip.

And that's just the first weekend.

There's still time for the one-name wonders like Bode and Apolo to redeem themselves in competition (they each have several more events), but for now, they are disappointments.

Thank goodness, then, for White. "The Flying Tomato," all of 19 years old, came in with X-sized hype and delivered with a gold in the men's half-pipe (after nearly not qualifying for the finals).

For a new generation of fans raised on X Games, White translated the stodgy "establishment" of the Olympics into cool. White certainly made it look that way, wearing that American flag bandana over his face during his gravity-defying runs.

Watching White look genuinely thrilled after his qualifying run -- admitting that it was the most pressure-packed experience he's had -- was a reminder that it's cool to be joyous.

If anything, that's Kwan's legacy as an athlete.

And watching White's sincere exuberance after his medal ride, you get the feeling that the true U.S. Olympic spirit -- "the Kwan," as Rod Tidwell might say -- is in good hands with this kid and his X-raised peers.

Viewed together, Kwan's pull-out and White's triumph represents a metaphorical passing of the torch from the old era of U.S. Olympic stardom to what's next.

Emily Hughes might be Michelle Kwan's replacement on the skating team, but Shaun White could easily be Kwan's replacement as the country's Olympic poster athlete.

Where does Shaun White rank in my updated Wheaties Watch? See Big 5, right, for the latest edition!

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Speed skating, and Bobsledding! That will be it for me..

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

did anyone watch Apollo Ono Last night? He was in second place on the short speed skakting about to get to the finish line when he tripped and got pushed back to fourth. It was pretty sad :cry:

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

UKVikingMike is offline Training Camp

Did anyone see the wipeouts in the womens downhill skiing? nasty!!!
    Love to watch these crazy winter sports

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Granny Luger, broke her wrist. Abernathy made her Olympic debut for the U.S. Virgin Islands in 1988 at Calgary. Although never a serious medal threat, Abernathy, a cancer survivor, is popular with the sport's fans and her fellow athletes, 52 years old.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/5103490/detail.html?qs=pt=espn?qs=pt=espn

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    I got a kick out of this analysis of Kwan vs tomato boy.

=================================

Page2
    Two Words For You:
    KWAN'S. REPLACEMENT.

Who is the heir to Michelle Kwan, the new U.S. Olympic hero to fill the void she left this weekend?

Snowboarder Shaun White.

And he couldn't have come along at a better time. Because here's the problem with Olympic-sized hype:

Michelle Kwan? Drops out.
    Bode Miller? Downhill dud.
    Apolo Ohno? Skating slip.

And that's just the first weekend.

There's still time for the one-name wonders like Bode and Apolo to redeem themselves in competition (they each have several more events), but for now, they are disappointments.

Thank goodness, then, for White. "The Flying Tomato," all of 19 years old, came in with X-sized hype and delivered with a gold in the men's half-pipe (after nearly not qualifying for the finals).

For a new generation of fans raised on X Games, White translated the stodgy "establishment" of the Olympics into cool. White certainly made it look that way, wearing that American flag bandana over his face during his gravity-defying runs.

Watching White look genuinely thrilled after his qualifying run -- admitting that it was the most pressure-packed experience he's had -- was a reminder that it's cool to be joyous.

If anything, that's Kwan's legacy as an athlete.

And watching White's sincere exuberance after his medal ride, you get the feeling that the true U.S. Olympic spirit -- "the Kwan," as Rod Tidwell might say -- is in good hands with this kid and his X-raised peers.

Viewed together, Kwan's pull-out and White's triumph represents a metaphorical passing of the torch from the old era of U.S. Olympic stardom to what's next.

Emily Hughes might be Michelle Kwan's replacement on the skating team, but Shaun White could easily be Kwan's replacement as the country's Olympic poster athlete.

Where does Shaun White rank in my updated Wheaties Watch? See Big 5, right, for the latest edition!
    Shaun White ripped sh!t up!!! He is DA MAN!!! Taking the halfpipe to another level!

He has the hots for Sasha Cohen...but she probably won't give him the time of day! :sad:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Granny Luger, broke her wrist. Abernathy made her Olympic debut for the U.S. Virgin Islands in 1988 at Calgary. Although never a serious medal threat, Abernathy, a cancer survivor, is popular with the sport's fans and her fellow athletes, 52 years old.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/5103490/detail.html?qs=pt=espn?qs=pt=espn
    She just needs to wrap her hand and wrist in a club...like Conrad Dobler had back in the day...and get back on that luge!

Go Granny!!! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast