COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

World WILL NOT end in 2012!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080709/sc_afp/sciencearchaeologyentertainmentfilmskull

There was a thread on here sometime ago about how some people predicted the world would end on December 21, 2012. Well, here's an interesting article on Yahoo today.

How about this for the next instalment of the Indy franchise: "Indiana Jones and the Dodgy Antiques Dealer"?

Less than three months after the Quai Branly Museum in Paris discovered that a crystal skull once proclaimed as a mystical Aztec masterpiece was a fake, it is now the turn of the British Museum and the Smithsonian Institution to find they were victims of skull-duggery.

Scientists from those two prestigious institutions on Wednesday said their crystal skulls were cut, honed and polished by tools of the industrial age, not by Mesoamerican craftsmen of yore.

"The skulls under consideration are not pre-Columbian. They must surely be regarded as of relatively modern manufacture," they say.

"Each skull was probably worked not more than a decade before it was first offered for sale."

The skulls became star exhibits in all three museums long before the Indiana Jones movie, "The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," hit the movie screens this year.

The superstitious deemed them part of a collection of 12 skulls, endowed with healing or mystical powers, that dated back to the ancient culture of Central America.

Reuniting all 12 skulls, together with a putative 13th, would conjure up a massive power that would prevent the Earth from tipping over on December 21 2012, the "doomsday" in the Mayan calendar, according to one fable.
    For more on the topic use the link above. I guess that's good news FOR ALL OF YOU WHO BELIEVED THIS DRIVEL.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: World WILL NOT end in 2012!

well now I can sleep at night knowing I won't nessecarily be dying in 4 years

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    well now I can sleep at night knowing I won't nessecarily be dying in 4 years
    You could still die tomorrow.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

dammit...

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

The Mitchell-Hedges skull (in the British Museum of Mankind) is the most interesting of all the crystal skulls. The stories of it's past are pretty crazy (found by Mitchell-Hedges in Honduras), although, Mitchell was known for his outlandish tales... so people aren't sure if any of it is true.

Although, they can't tell what carved this skull. The interesting point is, the carving of the skull itself goes against the grain of the quartz, which is practically impossible, even by today's standards.

It's by far the most realistic looking skull of the bunch and it's the only one
    with a detachable jaw.

Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"C" wrote:
    The Mitchell-Hedges skull (in the British Museum of Mankind) is the most interesting of all the crystal skulls. The stories of it's past are pretty crazy (found by Mitchell-Hedges in Honduras), although, Mitchell was known for his outlandish tales... so people aren't sure if any of it is true.

Although, they can't tell what carved this skull. The interesting point is, the carving of the skull itself goes against the grain of the quartz, which is practically impossible, even by today's standards.

It's by far the most realistic looking skull of the bunch and it's the only one
    with a detachable jaw.

That makes one hell of a cool paperweight

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

This is the most baffling of all the skulls... they called it "The King"

Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"C" wrote:
    This is the most baffling of all the skulls... they called it "The King"

looks like Jim Carrey

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

You mean I can actually come out of the closet and live four more years because the Y2K virus didnt do anything????

Thank you Josdin for the sig

"ChiTownVike" wrote:
    You mean I can actually come out of the closet and live four more years because the Y2K virus didnt do anything????
    ;D

Troy Smith knows... Your Quaterback will know too.