Thread: World Series

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

World Series

OK, after fuming all night and day about my beloved Cardinals getting swept in the World Series, I think I'm finally ok!

First off, I don't feel nearly as bad losing to the Red Sox as some other teams, like the Yank Me's. The Sox played an absolutely outstanding postseason. This was their time, they have an amazing group of players from Schilling to Damon to Ortiz to Lowe to Pedro to Varitek and they all stepped up at different times in the postseason and helped out their team immensely. They dominated at the mound, never once trailed in all four games, and were just plain better.

I understand this Series is all about the Sox, their return against the Yankees, and their ending "the curse". But, let me just say that before this season, the St. Louis Cardinals were picked by everybody to finish 3rd in their division behind the Cubs and Stros, and not even make the postseason. But they assemble a superb group of hitters and their pitchers overachieve, and they end up with the best record in baseball and a trip to the Series. A lot has to be said for Tony LaRussa and his outstanding managing job with this team, and I feel that with Pujols, Rolen, and others in the fold for years to come, the Cardinals will be very competitive for a long time.

But hats off to the Red Sox and their fans, they deserve this. What a great time to be a sports fan in New England.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

World Series

Yeah, they should be good but injuries can happen and look how that late season injury to Rolen hurt them. You just never know what can happen!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

World Series

Soirry, sd, but you guys beat my Brewers in 1982 (and was there at Game 3 to witness it). Good to see the Sox get off the 80 year snide.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

SHOW-TIME is offline Pro-Bowler

World Series

Yea Parttttyyyy!!!! GO SOX!!! Did anyone happen to see the press conference when La russa was almost crying
    so yeah eatingpieinbed some friends of mine http://www.purevolume.com/eatingpieinbed

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

World Series

F*CK the SUX!!! Their fans better enjoy it while it lasts because Georgie will come out firing with both barrels...and he will spend whatever it takes to come out on top...might as well, he already takes enough sh*t from the rest of MLB for spending the most. Just remember fans of the rest of baseball...the Red Sux were second in payroll, so their management bought a championship as well, so they were never an "underdog", in any sense of the word!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

World Series

"cajunvike" wrote:
    F*CK the SUX!!! Their fans better enjoy it while it lasts because Georgie will come out firing with both barrels...and he will spend whatever it takes to come out on top...might as well, he already takes enough sh*t from the rest of MLB for spending the most. Just remember fans of the rest of baseball...the Red Sux were second in payroll, so their management bought a championship as well, so they were never an "underdog", in any sense of the word!
    That's a good point. If you look at all 8 playoff teams, only the Twins did not have a huge payroll in 2004. The Twins did it the old way, developing players from the local pool of talent rather than spending big on free agents. It is refreshing to see a team do that but they'll never be able to get past the Yankees or Red Sox that way. They didn't make the playoffs this year but the Oakland A's are another team that doesn't spend big and usually does well.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

World Series

"cajunvike" wrote:
    well 'bought' or not, its good to see someone smack the smile off the NYY fans ..... guess they won't be so ready to start chanting 1918 anymore ... :lol:
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

World Series

I am sure that the smile will be on the Sux fans next year and they will have some chant of their own (e.g., "2004" or "ALCS")...will you want the smile smacked off of their smug faces then?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

World Series

"SHOW-TIME" wrote:
    Yea Parttttyyyy!!!! GO SOX!!! Did anyone happen to see the press conference when La russa was almost crying
    Gee, I wonder why that was. Maybe it's because even though nobody believed his team had a shot in hell at the Series, he did...and they made it with the best record in baseball and the most runs scored in the Major Leagues, and yet they got swept. I would be disappointed too.

World Series

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    Soirry, sd, but you guys beat my Brewers in 1982 (and was there at Game 3 to witness it). Good to see the Sox get off the 80 year snide.