Page 3 of 141 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2006

whiteboy is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: World Cup 2006

"petrodemos" wrote:
    though i must say, the MLS league is moving along nicely, and giving the US a chance to compete, maybe not with the best of the world, but compete nonetheless.
    the us made it to the semi-finals or quarter finals (i can't remember which) back in 2002, lost to germany, a game which the us dominated. the mls has come along great, i know dc united sells more tickets than the washington capitals do. also, the mls is expanding every season.

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

It will happen.

When I was growing up nobody played soccer. Now almost every kid plays soccer. If you grow up playing the sport then you end up following it after your playing days are over. There is no doubt in my mind that soccer will be big in the USA, once there is a demand ESPN and the other sports outlets will give it more coverage.
    We have that in holland with American football.
    And most likely all the country's in europe
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

purpleFavreEaters is offline Coordinator

The USA IS ranked 8th in the world we will do just fine in the cup this year! For us to finish anywhere is the final 4 will be huge! We have the tougest bracket in the whole tourny however so if we make it out of bracket alive we should do really well.

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

"whiteboy" wrote:
    "petrodemos" wrote:
    though i must say, the MLS league is moving along nicely, and giving the US a chance to compete, maybe not with the best of the world, but compete nonetheless.
    the us made it to the semi-finals or quarter finals (i can't remember which) back in 2002, lost to germany, a game which the us dominated. the mls has come along great, i know dc united sells more tickets than the washington capitals do. also, the mls is expanding every season.
    i meant that sincerely, that the MLS is moving along nicely. they however did lose to germany 4-1 recently, and germany to many is somewhat on a decline of the soccer superpower they once were. and the last game i watched usa v. jamaica, they either didnt have all their players, or they looked very pathetic i must say, i hope im wrong, because im all about good matches, but the group theyve been placed in, i would consider the group of death. i would be surprised to see them past group play.

mblack76 is offline Pro-Bowler

"vikingTurf" wrote:
    "mblack76" wrote:
    "vikingTurf" wrote:
    Argentina all the way
    They better. They to me seem the best to win the trophy. Thats if they can make it out of their group. They usually start slow and gather momentum. If they can find their game early and sort out the line up problems they usually exibit in the WC stage they could just go all the way.
    Argentina has never been the same since Maradona left the game, but they always get new talents to compete at the highest level. I personally like their chances this year, in the sense that they are not the tournament favorites like they were in 2002. This time around a lot of ppl are going for Brazil and England(up until Rooney went down) and Holland. As you mentioned, If they can make it out of the first round, they can do deep in the tournament. I know that Holland vs Argentina game is going to be crucial, can't wait for that. I think Argentina's defense is not the greatest and on offense they can attack continuously but not produce goals at times, I have seen that happen many times before. Hopefully they will fare better this time around and hopefully Messi will bounce back in time from the injury and display some scoring skills. Who do you think the highest goal scorer will be, I am thinking of Adriano from Brazil.
    Thats a tough one to answer however thats why we are here.
    I am not really sold on Adriano yet. He is just too inconsistent and has been on a very poor form of late. Tends to be too selfish when things are not going his way.
    However it would be insane to rule him out even thought I dont think he will be.
    That said...
    You gotta start with Ronaldo. Even though he has been hit by injury and a dip in form, he is a deadly striker and never fails to deliver on the big stage. If he stays healthy I think he has the best shot
    Then your boy Adriano. His case could be further facilitated if Ronaldo's game does not improve or he gets injured.
    I would add Luca Toni to that list (if things stand the way they are, he will be making the trip. Not really sure at this point since Lippi does not say much even though I think he would start). The guy has the height and fits the typical Italian play style. Has been on a fine form in lowly rated Roma and level headed.
    Then there is Andrei Shevchenko. I am not sure what team the Ukrainians would bring and how they would handle the pressure but there is always a threat when you play Sheva. He has mastered the art of goal scoring
    I know many would not like this but I would make a case for David Trezeguet even though it sounds a weak one. His game has matured and he is doing just what is expected of a striker- score goals. Now if the French can realise that Trez should be the front man and not Henry then things might go their way. Trezeguet is a better box scorer and can make it happen in tight situations and ugly play, something Henry is not good at. But again, the French have to play for Trezegol to score. To me their team is very very suspect

"vikingTurf" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    I wish the world cup had more hype in the States. By the time the current 7 yr olds are in their 20's the USA will be catching up with the rest of the world in the hype over the World Cup.
    I doubt it will ever happen, football will never reach the popularity that NBA, NFL and baseball has. Am i wrong in thinking most people in US perceive soccer as a women's sport?
    i would have to say that perception has changed in the past decade or so thanks to the MLS.

and the fifa rankings are a little messed up if you ask me, holland is ranked #3, yet has beaten #2 czech republic the last two times. USA is #4 by the way.

------------------------
    The ranking list is produced by a computer program which assigns a team points for every match, according to clearly defined criteria. The factors taken into consideration are:

1. Winning, drawing and losing
    2. Number of goals
    3. Home or away match
    4. Importance of the match (multiplication factor)
    5. Regional strength (multiplication factor)

For each team only the seven best results per year are given full weighting. Results from the past are given progressively less weighting year by year until after eight years they are dropped completely. In this way current success is rated more highly than past results.

from http://fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/rank/procedures/0,2540,3,00.html
    --------------------

since the US and mexico play in a what i would call a lower tier conference,
    their ranking is padded with wins against teams like panama, canada and others

fifa 2006 top 10
    1 Brazil
    2 Czech Republic
    3 Netherlands
    4 USA
    5 Spain
    6 Mexico
    7 France
    8 Portugal
    8 Argentina
    10 England

another interesting fact, denmark #11 did not qualify for the world cup, so the ranking can only be taken so far.

and no one can convince me that US can beat Argentina.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say NOT the USA. It'll be a country that actually cares about soccer. I'm sorry but probably 90% of the population in the US don't give two sh!ts about soccer.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Prophet Guest

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    ...I'm sorry but probably 90% of the population in the US don't give two sh!ts about soccer.
    That's a nice number pulled out of thin air. I'll play that game too. If you take the 12 and under crowd I would speculate that ~75% do care about soccer.

mblack76 is offline Pro-Bowler

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say NOT the USA. It'll be a country that actually cares about soccer. I'm sorry but probably 90% of the population in the US don't give two sh!ts about soccer.
    I coach soccer all year round and you will be surprised at the rate at which the interest in the game is growing.

Page 3 of 141 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast