Page 11 of 141 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2006

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

Re: World Cup 2006

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060514/7/6s35.html

Manchester United's Van Nistelrooy will be first choice up front and Kuyt can fill in on the right wing. The 23-man squad contains only two players, midfielder Phillip Cocu and goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar, with FIFA World Cup experience.

so like i said, im pulling for Nistelrooy as top goal scorer.

i see the english fans are a little upset with the selection, i wonder, do you think its because they want to be a more defensive this world cup?

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"petrodemos" wrote:
    i see the english fans are a little upset with the selection, i wonder, do you think its because they want to be a more defensive this world cup?
    No, we're pissed because he has only four strikers in the squad two of whom are currently injured and not guaranteed to be available for the tournament. Add to that the one of the remaining two is a 17 year old who has played only a couple of reserve games this year, has not played any first team games for his club let alone international level- then you'll see why we're a trifle concerned with Sven's choices ....
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"petrodemos" wrote:
    It's because Sven-Goran Eriksson (the England manager) has come to the conclusion that he doesn't have to care that much because, win or lose, he's gone the moment his World Cup campaign ends. He's going to play (more than likely) with a 5 man midfield and hope that we our midfielders can score all our goals. It's not so much that he's gone defensive, it's that he has totally checked out of the England job, mentally. He's picked a player (Theo Walcott) who he has admitted he has never seen play in a match, he's picked injured (Wayne Rooney), unfit (Michael Owen), and passed-it (Sol Campbell), players. While I agree with bringing in Michael Carrick (especially if Sven decides on a 5-man midfield), Aaron Lennon (as he has been in great form for Spurs and has played regularly, something which Shaun Wright-Phillips cannot argue), and Stewart Downing (I'm a HUGE fan of Downing), I cannot understand Sol Campbell's inclusion over Ledley King, Owen Hargreaves's inclusion over Kevin Nolan, or Theo Walcott's over Darren Bent.

Sven even said himself he couldn't logically justify Walcott's selection. It was something he decided on during the morning before he handed in his squad selection. That, to me, is ridiculous. He's had 2 years preparation for this tournament, a full season of Premiership football to see the form players, and he ignores the highest-scoring Englishman at the highest level of English football for an untried 17 year old?!

Don't get me wrong.. Theo Walcott has it in him to be a GREAT player. He played against my team (Luton Town) last season and was a huge threat. Every time Southampton (his now-former club) played a ball over the top, every Luton fan drew their breath as Theo ran underneath it. He has LIGHTNING pace, a manager once said of him that he can run on water, and I have to believe that's true. But the thing is, this (his game against my club, Luton) was a game against a team that had just been promoted from the third tier of English football, playing with back-up centre-halves and a goalkeeper fresh out of the youth team. While he scored with a great finish from the corner of the penalty area, a good keeper will never be in that position.

I just think it's too early to throw him against the best in the World. Especially as he is not good enough for Arsenal (read Arsene Wenger's comments about why he hasn't yet played for Arsenal), but somehow is good enough to be regarded as one of the top 23 English players currently plying their trade.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Hopefully Italy actually shows at a tournament for a change.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

How come england think they have a great chance to win the world cup? I never understand the blind faith they have.

GK: Robinson - very good, but hardly a buffon type keeper and if Robinson gets injured you have absolutely nobody

DEF: Terry and Cole are world class, Ferdinand is overrated and error prone, Neville is consistently very good but not amazing, Campbell is having a tough time but is good, why oh why was King not in the squad?

MID: Lampard, Gerrard, Cole are all amazing world-class players, but Beckham is hilariously overrated, Hargreaves isnt England quality, Downing and Lennon are great players but untested at such a high level

FWD: Rooney and Owen are two of the top strikers in the world, but both will be totally unfit, even if they do go. Defoe should have been automatic, Johnson hasnt got the quality to scare Nesta or otyher high calibre defenders. Walcott, like Downing and Lennon, untested but very good.

If ALL the England players remain FULLY fit then they MIGHT have a chance of winning the World Cup, but I dont see that happening.

And before anyone mentions the fact taht im scottish, the major differences between scotland and england are that scotland fans know we are poor, and expect to be poor, whereas england fans tend to live in this fantasy land where they are far and away the best team in the world. And secondly, England has a population of 50 million, Scotland of 5, therefore England SHOULD be better than Scotland, and the fact that you are should hardly be a bragging right

England and Spain, always dreaming!!!
    Vikings from all over the world. Lets unite!

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"spunk_goblin" wrote:
    How come england think they have a great chance to win the world cup? I never understand the blind faith they have.

GK: Robinson - very good, but hardly a buffon type keeper and if Robinson gets injured you have absolutely nobody
    You mean the Buffon who has been injured for much of this season and who is now being investigated for illegal gambling? Yeah, I'd love to have him over Robinson. And who do Italy have as backup keepers? 36 year old Angelo Peruzzi or Marco Amelia.. Sounds very much like they've not got much in reserve either. And yes, before you say anything, I realise your point wasn't to compare England's World Cup goalkeepers with Italy's, but by bringing Buffon into the equation and say other than Robinson England has "absolutely nobody", I felt it necessary to clarify Italy's position too.

DEF: Terry and Cole are world class, Ferdinand is overrated and error prone, Neville is consistently very good but not amazing, Campbell is having a tough time but is good, why oh why was King not in the squad?
    I agree with you on this. Ferdinand is over-rated, but can still do a job and has been steadily getting back to where he was (whereever that is) before he got banned for missing a dope test. As long as Terry is alongside him I'm confident. And as for Campbell/King.. I totally agree with you. Sol has ost that all-important "recovery pace" that is crucial for defenders these days. He's fat and slow, his awareness is appalling and his judgement is even worse.

MID: Lampard, Gerrard, Cole are all amazing world-class players, but Beckham is hilariously overrated, Hargreaves isnt England quality, Downing and Lennon are great players but untested at such a high level
    I can't be bothered to get into that again.. I wrote essays on that subject on here last time his name was mentioned! Again, I agree with you on Hargreaves. He shouldn't be there. He is a classic example of Sven picking players he is used to rather than players who deserve to be there. I understand what you say about Downing and Lennon, but they have played consistently well at club level (Downing for the last 2 years - interrupted this season through injury of course, but he has the sweetest left foot of any Englishmen in the Premiership - and Lennon for all of 2006 and the end of 2005), and could provide England with different options during the tournament. Let's not forget Trinidad and Tobago are not exactly the highest calibre country in the tournament.. Maybe they could have a shot against them?

FWD: Rooney and Owen are two of the top strikers in the world, but both will be totally unfit, even if they do go. Defoe should have been automatic, Johnson hasnt got the quality to scare Nesta or otyher high calibre defenders. Walcott, like Downing and Lennon, untested but very good.
    Again, I agree. Rooney shouldn't have been picked, in my opinion. EVEN IF (and that's a BIG if) he manages to recover from his fractured metartarsal, he'll be woefully unfit to play any part in the competition until the Semi's at least. If Owen is not match fit by the time the tournament starts, the physio's need to be replaced. Owen is getting out of his injury-nightmare now, and it shouldn't be too much to ask of him to play 60-90 minutes of training matches once or twice a week between England's training camps before the World Cup starts. That should be more than enough to get him back to match fitness. Again, agree with you on Johnson. He shouldn't go, especially so because he couldn't score as many in the Championship as Darren Bent did in the Premiership!

And who cares what Alessandro Nesta thinks? :razz:

If ALL the England players remain FULLY fit then they MIGHT have a chance of winning the World Cup, but I dont see that happening.
    And before anyone mentions the fact taht im scottish, the major differences between scotland and england are that scotland fans know we are poor, and expect to be poor, whereas england fans tend to live in this fantasy land where they are far and away the best team in the world. And secondly, England has a population of 50 million, Scotland of 5, therefore England SHOULD be better than Scotland, and the fact that you are should hardly be a bragging right
    And yet we still do!

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

HOLY $hit Benet lmao, did you miss anything in there ?

Good point about owen. Playing for 60 minutes in practice matches and against paraguay and T&T should give him the fitness he needs for the later rounds

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

I just hope Scotland does well in Germany.

Page 11 of 141 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast