COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Women's Group Wants Paterno's resignation

[size=18px]Coach's remarks about alleged assault draw fire[/size]
    By Adam Smeltz
    [email protected]

Women's rights advocates who say Joe Paterno made outrageous remarks about an alleged sexual assault in Florida are asking the Penn State football coach to resign.

Joanne Tosti-Vasey, president of the National Organization for Women (NOW) in Pennsylvania, said Paterno's comments on Monday represent an institutional insensitivity that endangers women.

The coach's remarks came a day before the Orange Bowl, when a reporter asked a question related to Florida State linebacker A.J. Nicholson. Nicholson was accused of sexual assault and was sent home before Tuesday's game.

According to an official transcript from the Orange Bowl, Paterno replied by talking about past suspensions of Penn State players. He then added this:

"There's some tough -- there's so many people gravitating to these kids. He may not have even known what he was getting into, Nicholson. They knock on the door; somebody may knock on the door; a cute girl knocks on the door.

"What do you do?" Paterno went on. "Geez. I hope -- thank God they don't knock on my door because I'd refer them to a couple of other rooms.

"But that's too bad," he said. "You hate to see that. I really do. You like to see a kid end up his football career. He's a heck of a football player, by the way; he's a really good football player. And it's just too bad."

Tosti-Vasey issued a news release late Friday night calling for Paterno's resignation. A Bellefonte resident, she said she sent e-mails Saturday to Paterno, university President Graham Spanier and athletic director Tim Curley.

"When someone of his stature makes light of sexual assault, we have a serious problem," Tosti-Vasey said. "It sends a message that this behavior is not serious ... that sexual assault or rape or violence against women is acceptable for an athlete."

A spokeswoman at the NOW headquarters in Washington said the organization's president, Kim Gandy, supports the call for Paterno's resignation. The group has thousands of members in Pennsylvania, Tosti-Vasey said Saturday, though she didn't have a precise number immediately available.

Guido D'Elia, communications director for Penn State football, said Paterno made his remarks in the larger context of distractions in the bowl-game environment -- the topic of conversation with reporters.

"I think if you were present, you understood he meant no malice," D'Elia said Saturday night.

Nor, he said, did Paterno intend to make light of the assault allegations.

"I think those in the room understood clearly what he was saying," D'Elia said. "Would it have been smarter probably to not even have touched the subject? Probably."

He said later: "If you heard his tone, he really thought it was too bad for everybody. He was concerned for everybody."

Penn State spokesman Bill Mahon said he thought reporters took Paterno's comments out of context.

"I took it as the coach's commenting on the press's tendency to treat somebody guilty as charged," Mahon said Saturday. No charges have been filed against Nicholson, although police in Florida said the matter remains open.

Mahon added later: "What the coach was trying to relay, to the hundreds of press, is that the press rush and pass judgment on people very quickly. ... The coach certainly doesn't have a record of taking these issues lightly."

Tosti-Vasey, however, said Paterno's comments are the latest in a series of insensitive actions by the university's athletic department. The Pennsylvania NOW branch flayed Paterno, Curley and Spanier in 2003 after a football player accused of sexual assault was allowed to play in a bowl game.

Tosti-Vasey said the organization would continue to pressure the university if Paterno does not resign.

"When people take responsibility for themselves, I think it sends a better message to the people they're in charge of -- in this case, the athletes they're role models for," she said.

Steve MacCarthy, Penn State vice president for university relations, said he thought Paterno's comments were taken out of context "to some degree."

"I don't think anyone who knows coach Paterno thinks that he takes those things lightly," MacCarthy said, referring to the assault allegations.

D'Elia said Paterno would be informed about the Pennsylvania-NOW request.

QUESTION:
    How come us guys never sue when women make politically insensative remarks about us? Heck, we don't even have an "organization" because WE'RE MEN!!!!!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

MaddenVodkaAddict is offline Coordinator

Re: Women's Group Wants Paterno's resignation

feminists :roll: Lay off Joe P, he's older and wiser and surely wouldn't mean any harm.
    I Love Kerry Collins (and John Rocker).

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Must be a slow year for their movement and they have to meet their quota. :roll:

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Thank goodness Cajun is not a head coach!

He would not last past the press conference annoucing him as the new head coach! :razz:

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Sure didn't sound to me like he "makes light of sexual assault" in his statement...
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

lol now thinks they can get paterno to retire... he's only been around 40 years
    I m Down For A Boat Party

straight_party.tripod.com

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Wow, that's bullcrap and a half. He didn't say anything that "made light of" sexual assault.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Thank goodness Cajun is not a head coach!

He would not last past the press conference annoucing him as the new head coach! :razz:
    Bring on the CHEERLEADERS!!! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

NOW can just go screw themselves...with those discount "Whizzinators" that they got such a good deal on since Onterrio proved that they weren't useful for their intended purpose!!! :evil4:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE