"marstc09" wrote:
    Thank you!

[size=11pt]Wisconsin Senate approves statewide workplace smoking ban[/size]

Under the bill, the ban would take effect in July 2010
    http://www.twincities.com/allheadlines/ci_12362434
    2010? What's wrong with July 2009?

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: Wisconsin Senate approves statewide workplace smoking ban

Wait... people smoke inside at work in Wisconsin? Are you serious?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

I know a lot of people here applaud this action because we all KNOW the dangers of cigarette smoking, but did anyone think this through as far as the concensus on this board for legalizing marjuana?

Where will you legally be able to enjoy your new freedom?

Your home?
    Haven't you seen the American Lung Association advertisment telling us how smoking one cigarette in your third floor apartment affects people on the street.
    Now add the intoxicating vapor to the evils of "second hand smoke".

Bars?
    Illegal to smoke there.

Imagine the second hand smoke defenses.
    DUI:
    "I wasn't smoking, but I was at this party and it was pretty stuffy in there."
    Workplace:
    "I don't smoke, but I was out with some of my buddies and I probably inhaled some of their smoke."

Imagine the litigation.
    A neighbor sues because your patio party caused copious amounts of iintoxication vapors to overcome his children who were out playing in the yard.
    Instant payoff of mortgage.

Part of me (the vindictave part) is LMAO, but part of me is sadly shaking his head over the "cradel to grave" involvment of government.

"Bkfldviking" wrote:
    I know a lot of people here applaud this action because we all KNOW the dangers of cigarette smoking, but did anyone think this through as far as the concensus on this board for legalizing marjuana?

Your home?
    Haven't you seen the American Lung Association advertisment telling us how smoking one cigarette in your third floor apartment affects people on the street.

Bars?
    Illegal to smoke there.

DUI:
    Workplace:
    "I don't smoke, but I was out with some of my buddies and I probably inhaled some of their smoke."

Imagine the litigation.
    A neighbor sues because your patio party caused copious amounts of iintoxication vapors to overcome his children who were out playing in the yard.

Part of me (the vindictave part) is LMAO, but part of me is sadly shaking his head over the "cradel to grave" involvment of government.
    Couple of points... Smoke from Marijuana doesn't have the same effect as second hand smoke from cigarettes. Totally different monsters.

And about where to smoke weed: Well, in Amsterdam... you either have to smoke it where you bought it or smoke it at your house... I imagine it would be the same way here. You can't just walk into a restaurant over there and toke up a joint...

Anyways, there are countries that successfully prohibit smoking of cigarettes in public places that still allow smoking of marijuana.

NYC is a great example... it's shocking to me that ANYONE at ANY job is allowed to smoke in doors (whether at work or at bars)... it's just not right. If you want to smoke, go outside.

At the same time, NYC's laws against Marijuana have become pretty lenient and they rarely bust for pot in this city.

Anyways... just adding some perspective.

"C" wrote:
    "Bkfldviking" wrote:

Your home?

Bars?
    Illegal to smoke there.

DUI:
    Workplace:

Imagine the litigation.

Couple of points... Smoke from Marijuana doesn't have the same effect as second hand smoke from cigarettes. Totally different monsters.

And about where to smoke weed: Well, in Amsterdam... you either have to smoke it where you bought it or smoke it at your house... I imagine it would be the same way here. You can't just walk into a restaurant over there and toke up a joint...

Anyways, there are countries that successfully prohibit smoking of cigarettes in public places that still allow smoking of marijuana.

NYC is a great example... it's shocking to me that ANYONE at ANY job is allowed to smoke in doors (whether at work or at bars)... it's just not right. If you want to smoke, go outside.

At the same time, NYC's laws against Marijuana have become pretty lenient and they rarely bust for pot in this city.

It doesn't have to be logical, only the PERCEPTION of danger will be enough.

Smoke from Marijuana doesn't have the same effect as second hand smoke from cigarettes. Totally different monsters.
    According to the same American Lung Association studies on smoking, on marijuana "cigarette" has more carcinogens than a pack of cigarettes.
    Your right they are different monsters, and one is bigger.

The outcry will be fueled by the same mass hysteria you just wittnesed with swine flu, 174 reported cases among a population of 300,000,000 and people were staying home wearing masks and the "walking well" were flooding ER rooms across the nation.

That is why the government will succeed in taking over every aspect of our lives, because people are too F..en stupid to figure these things out for themselves (or so we are told).

"Bkfldviking" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Bkfldviking" wrote:

Your home?

Bars?
    Illegal to smoke there.

DUI:
    Workplace:

Imagine the litigation.

Smoke from Marijuana doesn't have the same effect as second hand smoke from cigarettes. Totally different monsters.
    According to the same American Lung Association studies on smoking, on marijuana "cigarette" has more carcinogens than a pack of cigarettes.

The outcry will be fueled by the same mass hysteria you just wittnesed with swine flu, 174 reported cases among a population of 300,000,000 and people were staying home wearing masks and the "walking well" were flooding ER rooms across the nation.

That is why the government will succeed in taking over every aspect of our lives, because people are too F..en stupid to figure these things out for themselves (or so we are told).

lol.... something tells me you live in a Red state.

Do you even know what carcinogens are? lol....

Just because they have more carcinogens, doesn't meant they don't have more toxins (also... do you have a link for that stat?).

I've lived with smokers, both cigarettes and weed.... trust me, cigarettes are much worse.

"C" wrote:
    "Bkfldviking" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Bkfldviking" wrote:

Your home?

Bars?
    Illegal to smoke there.

DUI:
    Workplace:

Imagine the litigation.

lol.. something tells me you live in a Red state.
    Do you even know what carcinogens are? lol....

Just because they have more carcinogens, doesn't meant they don't have more toxins (also... do you have a link for that stat?).

I've lived with smokers, both cigarettes and weed.... trust me, cigarettes are much worse.
    something tells me you live in a Red state.
    Geography is not your strong suit.
    California is bluer than NY (unfjortunately).

Do you even know what carcinogens are?
    I work in a hospital and yes I know what carcinogens are:
    The term carcinogen refers to any substance, radionuclide or radiation that is an agent directly involved in the promotion of cancer or in the increase of its propagation.
    Common examples of carcinogens are inhaled asbestos, certain dioxins, and inhaled smoke.

I am a smoker, since 16.
    I'm now 64, a black belt in TaeKwonDo, run two miles a day, take stairs rather than elevators, park several blocks from work and consider myself in fair shape for my age (doughnuts are more of a health risk for me than cigarettes ;D)

While agree that noone should smoke indoors for any reason, I consider that as common sense that doesn't need regulation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast