Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    zimtwister is offline Coach

will our kids be better off than we are?

i was asked this and i just do not see it happening. in 1962 the avg. family income in minneapolis was 27,000 and the avg home was 15,000. um gee- that would mean with my 180,000 house i should make 450,000 per year!!!!!!!!!!i think we hit the wall in the late 1980's. prices go up daily yet wages barely go up yearly! i think i will list my home for 600,000 as a joke just to show how ridiculus things have got!
    "you dream of beating me, its time you wake up and apologize."

Del Rio Guest

Re: will our kids be better off than we are?

I'm sure they will be better off on certain issues and fu-bard on the rest. Life has improved steadily over the years in certain regards, it has also taken steps for the worse.

If what you mean when you say "will our kids be better off the we are," you mean will they be able to get a house easily then no I guess they are screwed. :grin:

derio- yeah, i meant finacially. i suppose they will be healthier and more worldlly than we are. on the other hand "are the good times really over for good?"

Del Rio Guest

Well I know one thing is for sure, I look at jobs on the government sight everyday.....a few years ago all they wanted was a bachelors degree now they want a masters at least. When my dad was hired on here all you needed was a diploma or GED.

I think with competition and other factors like out sourcing it will be damn hard to make a good living. They will have to marry a hard working spouse because you need two incomes to get by. My wife doesn't work, but we live a modest life if she wanted nice things like food and electricity she would have to work.

what part of gov. do you work in?

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Personally, I don't think they will be.

My generation was the first in American history NOT to exceed the lifestyle of the preceeding one...that's a nice distinction to have. What that tells me is that the period of growth is over. After all, look at the increasing level of education required to be competative these days. Gone are the years of high school drop outs landing jobs "at the plant" and earning a great wage.

Manufacturing jojbs are exiting the US at a voracious rate. Mexico and Asia will do it cheaper...a LOT cheaper. Find a pair of "American Made" tennis shoes...or bicycle tires for that matter. So, the jobs upon which America was built are dwindling...as is the Middle Class. In essence, it no longer exists.

So, no, I don't think our kids will have it better. I think it will be worse...a LOT worse. Prices keep skyrocketing ahead of wages...and wages keep getting harder to get...it's a vicious cycle which appears designed to deposit us back into a psuedo-fuedal society.

Caine

Del Rio Guest

"zimtwister" wrote:
    what part of gov. do you work in?
    I work on an Air Force base.

Del Rio Guest

Here's another great example. My wife's family lives in Illinois in a small town called Galesburg. Well there was one plant there that employed a majority of the people. Maytag. And it was sent across the border, everyone lost their jobs.

Her brother is 18 years old. He can't even get a job at Mcdonalds. Basically because you have 35 year old engineers that have to get the crap jobs just to try and survive.

Your best bet, at making a lot of money is to go into a service field now. Like automobile work, or landscaping, or what have you. The money will come after you start your own buisiness. People will ALWAYS need others to fix their cars, fix their furnace, ect.

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

it's not too useful to think about averages when it comes to income. If I recall correctly, average real income has slumped or remained somewhat stagnant over the past 25 years. But when you look at that average figure, you have to ask yourself, whose income really has remained the same?

The new york times has recently run a series of in-depth articles on class immobility in America which might be a useful resource to consider this question. Essentially, income wise, America is bifurcated into an upwardly mobile class of people and the other group is experiencing real losses. So when you think about the prospects of the next generation, the answer will depend and you will also have to ask, to what class do they belong?

The nature of employer-employee relationships in the US is changing. Pensions are becoming more rare, the power of blue-collar unions are rapidly eroding, people rarely stay with the same employer their entire lifs. The list goes on and essentially it means that workers are experiencing less job security which will present inumerable challenges to their welfare. Of course, it's not all doom and gloom. Many people have adapted. There are more millionaires in the world today than there were a decade ago. So long as you dont count on that mechanica job at Boeing being there for the next 20 years and you develop talents in real estsate and financial investment, things may be pretty good. But statistically, as a group, I think the next generation will have it tough.

6-KINGS Guest

No way.
    They are in for some very hard times.
    Look at the last 30 years.
    The way Government and social programs are run the whole thing is perched for collapse. The loss or de-industrialization in America, along with the skills needed to sustain or rebuild a collapsed economy will not be in place or available.
    America is becoming a "service" economy. The vast majority of all jobs are in the service industry.

What brought America to the head of the industrial world was it's use of raw materials to produce tangible products.
    Today we still use raw materials but to ship overseas.
    The Textile industry is almost dead. Gone to India, Malaysia and Bangladesh.
    The Steel and iron works have been regulated to bankruptcy. Moved to China.
    Electronics and Technology are our only edge now. And yet that is being stolen and reverse engineered in Taiwan, Japan, India and China.
    Cars and military equipment are built together with dozens of countries.
    Even the commercial aircraft industry is being torpedoed by the Governments of Europe. AirBus the European aircraft maker is largely subsidized by their governments so they can be competitive with the US.
    Just one week ago most new commercial aircraft contracts for the world went to AirBus not Boeing for the first time.
    The Europeans get this money due to the US forming the core of their military readiness. So what would be spent on building and sustaining their own military is used to fuel their economy.
    These countries do this to us yet most have yet to pay off their Marshall Plan money the US coughed up to rebuild Europe after WW II.
    Yeap now that is friendship.

We Gave $11 Billion dollars to foreign aid this year
    $3 Billion More to Israel
    Will give $1 Billion to the UN
    Current US/European theater cost per year is $17 Billion dollars.
    The expansion of NATO will cost the US $125 Billion over the next 10 years.
    Can ya see why SDI(Strategic Defense Initiative) is being pushed for?

Then add in the US social programs which range from $57 Billion to $126 Billion a year based on who is in front of a microphone.

Well I could keep going and going.
    To put it mildly the US is being raped in every sense of the word.
    Much of it our own fault.
    Be if from Democrat or Republican leadership.

So Ya our kids and their kids and their kids..................will have tough times ahead.

6-KINGS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast