Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: It will be a Merry Christmas at Walmart again...

Yeah, when maytag left Galesburg the economy went to hell.
    I lived in Macomb, IL for a while the effects first hand.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Del Rio Guest

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I think about all that is left there is railroad work. My father in law is the Animal Pathologist for the state so he is safe, but her brothers and just about anyone out of HS can't land a job. You have 40 year olds who worked for Maytag their whole lives busting ass at Dairy Queen. No one is going to hire a 16 year old kid.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I think about all that is left there is railroad work. My father in law is the Animal Pathologist for the state so he is safe, but her brothers and just about anyone out of HS can't land a job. You have 40 year olds who worked for Maytag their whole lives busting jiggly butt at Dairy Queen. No one is going to hire a 16 year old kid.
    Therein lies the danger of relying on a big company as the major employer in any one town or area.
    It happened in my town as well...in this case, it was Union Underwear (Froot of the Loom) who pulled out.
    I have always told all of my relatives who would listen...get a marketable skill and master it...that way you will never really be out of a job...you can always work for yourself.
    Where I live, good handymen can make a bundle...there are a ton of people who are on waiting lists for work to be done and will pay good money for good craftsmanship.
    It ain't Bill Gates money, but you won't starve either...and you won't be at the mercy of THE MAN!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I think about all that is left there is railroad work. My father in law is the Animal Pathologist for the state so he is safe, but her brothers and just about anyone out of HS can't land a job. You have 40 year olds who worked for Maytag their whole lives busting jiggly butt at Dairy Queen. No one is going to hire a 16 year old kid.
    Therein lies the danger of relying on a big company as the major employer in any one town or area.
    It happened in my town as well...in this case, it was Union Underwear (Froot of the Loom) who pulled out.
    I have always told all of my relatives who would listen...get a marketable skill and master it...that way you will never really be out of a job...you can always work for yourself.
    Where I live, good handymen can make a bundle...there are a ton of people who are on waiting lists for work to be done and will pay good money for good craftsmanship.
    It ain't Bill Gates money, but you won't starve either...and you won't be at the mercy of THE MAN!
    Since my situation has happened, I move backed to my small town I grew up in, in Western ND.
    I have been doing exactly what you just said Cajun.
    I've been working as a handyman/carpenter with my dad.
    I have never been my own bos and I love love it.
    What I can't believe is where booked until at least next summer.
    Everyone seems to be adding on to their house.
    I probably will go back to working for someone else again in the future. But doing the hands on work will help with the education I have.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567