BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Wii flies through 37-inch flat screen

[img width=220 height=242]http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/TECH/12/14/wii.danger.ap/storvert.wii.ap.jpg[/img]

SEATTLE, Washington (AP) -- Jaana Baker is no klutz -- note her second-degree black belt in tae kwon do. She's also an avid video gamer who puts out a Web-based comic called "Level 99" in her spare time.

So how did Baker end up launching the controller of her new Nintendo Wii (pronounced "we") right into her 37-inch TV? Like some other owners of the new game console and its motion-sensitive wireless remote, Baker took the freedom to move a little too literally.

A particularly spirited round of Wii bowling caused her to lose her bearings before unleashing what she had hoped would be a perfect strike.

"It was like a loud crack," she said, recalling the moment the "Wiimote" glanced off her coffee table, snapped its wrist strap and hurtled into her flat-screen TV. "It was kind of surreal, actually. I thought I was dreaming at first."

It appears that Baker is not alone. In recent weeks, the Web has been alight with reports of excited gamers losing their grip on the Wii's controller or smacking their arms into nearby objects. (Watch CNN's Miles O'Brien take a swing at a fellow gamer )

After issuing a general "calm down" to its customers a week ago, Nintendo Co. has responded by quietly beefing up the controller's fabric wrist strap, spokeswoman Beth Llewelyn said.

And while most executives would cringe if their flagship product suddenly became associated with shattered electronics and the occasional flesh wound, some observers say the lighthearted buzz could deliver a perfect shot of viral marketing.

"What it says is, this thing is so fun that people get carried away," said Adrian Ho of the advertising agency Fallon Worldwide. "A progressive brand manager would look at that and say, 'You know what? Actually, that's pretty good.' "

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/12/14/wii.danger.ap/index.html

oddmanout22287 is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Wii flies through 37-inch flat screen

From someone who's played the Wii, you have to be REALLY into the game to move the Wii-mote so violently that you throw it into a coffee table or a T.V.
    As long as you don't act like a total toolbox you should be fine.
    PM me if you'd like a sig.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"oddmanout22287" wrote:
    From someone who's played the Wii, you have to be REALLY into the game to move the Wii-mote so violently that you throw it into a coffee table or a T.V.
    As long as you don't act like a total toolbox you should be fine.
    As long as you don't act like a retard when you're playing it's fine! I've been playing for about 3 weeks now, and I haven't done ANYTHING that would result in the fricken remote flying through the television.

The strap goes around your wrist and you actually hold the remote in your hand. You really have to be swinging like a jerk to lose the remote.

Also, every game TELLS you not to have any people or objects around you that you could hit. This lady hit her coffee table which caused the strap to break. If she would have followed directions and not had anything around, her TV would still be intact.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

watch, if people start getting $ or compensation from nintendo..

you'll get a slew of people chuckin their Wii controllers at their tv's.

and i'll enjoy watching the mass scramble to get nintendo's pockets.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall