Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Why Refs Piss Me Off

Here is my latest ref rant.

I play basketball all year. I have a team and we sign up for every event we can. This weekend we had a region playoff. We played Friday night, we won by 19 and moved on to playing Saturday afternoon to see who goes to the Final.........

First things first I get to the game and one of the refs comes to me right before tip off and says "You can't wear a cutoff under your jersey." (A shirt with the sleeves ripped off) ---- ok can I just wear my jersey with no shirt under it? "NO" "You need a T-Shirt"

I begin to tell him that just the night before I wore a cutoff....all YEAR I wore one....he informed me he won't allow it. SO I run to my car praying to god there is a T in there. In the trunk way in the back is a T shirt. YES! I throw it on and instantly I remember why I had it in the trunk. My wife gave me a hair cut in it a few days prior and we were at my parents. It itched so bad I took the shirt off and threw it in the trunk.....and it still was itching..........god damn it!

The team we are playing is very tall and I have played with two of the guys at Weber State in one of my coaching classes. Very good, very mouthy. So many stories about this game can be told. We ended up going to overtime. In the overtime two of our starters fouled out on very questionable calls, no big deal because you can't really argue a judgment maybe he saw something we didn't.

We are down two........2 seconds left......we have to go the whole distance.
    I am throwing the ball in: I launch the ball to our guy who is double covered he gets it.....BUZZER. WTF??? The ref had the clock started when I released the ball not when it touched our guy.

So we scream and yell and he realizes he made a mistake. We reset the variables and try again. This time however the other team is like oh shit we need to put our center on teh guy inbounding the ball.....and some guys mom was right behind me on the stands yelling that I cheated because I moved back and forth on the baseline, she was also yelling the game should be over because when I threw the ball to my player and he heard teh buzzer he tossed the ball out of bounds so she insisted it was the other teams ball. I eventually told her to sit her fat ass down which she did, but her son took exception and after the game he tried to let me know about it.

Anyway I launch the ball even with lurch on me and it finds it's target he turns he shoots and the ball goes is from damn near half court......we cheer we run to our bench and the ref comes over and says "Sorry guys while I was running down the court I accidentally blew an inadverdant whistle" We need to do it over..... WHAT!??? ARE YOU SERIOUS!???

He was, but he felt bad so he gave us another 2 seconds and let us take it in at half court. I get the ball to our shooter AGAIN and he gets fouled shooting a three and they give him TWO free throws. He makes them and we go into a second overtime, and a third, and we lose by 4.

After the game I see the ref with his arm around one of the other teams players asking him how his mom and dad where and how his brother was. I was furious. In the parking lot afterwards my team was sitting around heartbroken and upset. We won't be playing again for a few months. Up comes one of the players, he asks which one of us told his mom to sit her fat ass down. I admit to it. He tries to push me but it was so obvious he was going to it was easily prepared for. His dad steps in and grabs him and I had to fight every urge in my body to pummel his shit talking ass into the ground.

Itchy shirt and all I held my temper in check.

/rant off

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Re: Why Refs Piss Me Off

Dang Del Rio - YOU AND YOUR TEAM got Del Rio'd!!!!
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

What a bad turn of events! Sorry to here that Del.

It sounds like the ref was a little bit biased to the other team.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

I hate ref's especially towards my Minnesota teams they always seem to screw us over. I swear the Wild, The Vikes even my old highschool got screwed over by the ref and couldn't go to state cause of a stupid call that made us lose the game. grrrrrr :evil:

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

That's a bummer Del! Refs just suck all the way around.

Prophet Guest

That sucks. Hope the refs feel good about that game. It appears that these weren't mistakes to me. Two shots on a three-pt foul??? It's amazing that this slid by.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

F em all... I can't stand ref's, and I am starting to despise sports in general just because they are not fun anymore.... Because of crap like the refs, and this crap with the NFL....

Del Rio Guest

"Prophet" wrote:
    That sucks. Hope the refs feel good about that game. It appears that these weren't mistakes to me. Two shots on a three-pt foul??? It's amazing that this slid by.
    I should clarify, they said the foul was on the ground, and we were in double bonus.

However our guy immediately jumped to shoot as we had only 2 seconds left, the contact happened in the air. EVEN the guy who fouled our player was saying they lucked out on that one.

tjohnson is offline Asst. Coach

Tough situation. I'm a certified HS ref in CT and its obvious they were less than objective in their officiating. I would call the board that covers your games and ask to speak w/ the commisioner or president. I know over here we had two refs act in a similar way and they were suspended for one month each.

Reffing is tough enough as it is w/o ppl like this giving us an even worse name!

How do ya like them apples?!

Del Rio Guest

"tjohnson" wrote:
    Tough situation. I'm a certified HS ref in CT and its obvious they were less than objective in their officiating. I would call the board that covers your games and ask to speak w/ the commisioner or president. I know over here we had two refs act in a similar way and they were suspended for one month each.

Reffing is tough enough as it is w/o ppl like this giving us an even worse name!
    Absolutely Reffing is hard. And I respect people who take on the task. I never argue a call, our team goes through a captain so on timeouts or quarters we refer all gripes to him and he will approach the ref.

This stuff was horrible however and I would agree this is not the norm. I just felt like venting my frustration. I make a miracle pass, our guy makes a miracle shot, a miracle catch and we win.....only to have it turned around by an inadvertant whistle....

Question for you: What is the rule regarding the accidental whistle. It was blown while our guy was in the process of shooting, so the other team had not stopped or anything. He waved off the basket and made up his own rules it seemed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast