Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    fungus83 is offline Training Camp

Why crow? (explanation please)

Alright so, this is probably a stupid question - but I just got to know! I've been on the boards for a few months now and have noticed that a lot of people use this 'crow' expression. I understand in context what this is supposed to mean... You know, sucking it up, eating your own words, put your foot in your mouth, swallow your tongue, etc... But why crow? Where did this whole thing get started. I swear, I've never heard it in my life! This may be because of a few different factors. 1. I live on the West Coast (Las Vegas, to be exact) and 2. Maybe I'm too young for it (19 yrs.)?

Can someone explain. I want to be included in the slang here haha, but I just gotta know where this came from!

Thanks.

And go Vikings, of course!

Re: Why crow? (explanation please)

"fungus83" wrote:
    Alright so, this is probably a stupid question - but I just got to know! I've been on the boards for a few months now and have noticed that a lot of people use this 'crow' expression. I understand in context what this is supposed to mean... You know, sucking it up, eating your own words, put your foot in your mouth, swallow your tongue, etc... But why crow? Where did this whole thing get started. I swear, I've never heard it in my life! This may be because of a few different factors. 1. I live on the West Coast (Las Vegas, to be exact) and 2. Maybe I'm too young for it (19 yrs.)?

Can someone explain. I want to be included in the slang here haha, but I just gotta know where this came from!

Thanks.

And go Vikings, of course!

I think both of your reasons why you aren't familiar with the term are correct.
    Here is an official explanation...

What is the origin of "eat crow" or "eating crow," and exactly what does it mean?
    To eat crow means 'to suffer humiliation', and specifically 'to be forced to admit to having made an error, as by retracting an emphatic statement'. An example from the mystery writer "Ellery Queen" in 1930: "I should merely be making an a$$ of myself if I accused someone and then had to eat crow."

Crows are notoriously disagreeable birds, in every respect. Scavengers, they are not suitable for eating. An old joke among outdoorsmen holds that if you get lost in the woods without any food and manage to catch a crow, you should put it in a pot with one of your boots, boil it for a week, and then eat the boot. Eating crow, therefore, is an especially unpleasant and humiliating thing to have to do.

The expression to eat crow is surprisingly recent. It is originally and still chiefly an Americanism, first found in the mid nineteenth century. The original form was to eat boiled crow.

Bottom line....is it is used for those that talk WAY TO MUCH POOPOO only to have their words come back to smack them in the face.....and often they are too cowardly to face the same forum that they popped off in!
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

Thanks for that explanation.
    I was actually wondering what the origin of it was too.
    I know everyone says it here but didn't know if someone here started it or what.
    So thanks!

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

LOL, I knew I wasn't the only one.

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=149&topic=27101.0
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"PurplePride80" wrote:

LOL!. You weren't the only two. There have been others before you & there will be others after.

Which reminds me, I believe we are about due for another "What does SKOL mean?" thread.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Thanks.. Same boat here.. Used the term.. Understood it somewhat.. Never knew why it was crow and what not

One Love

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

crows eat on dead animals and poop.
    Who would want to eat it.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Of course, you could just drink Old Crow (like the Beastie Boys)!!!
    LOL
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Ah ha! So that's the explanation. Interesting...that's just one of those old colloquialisms that you say/hear all the time but never get the meaning of. Thanks for the info!

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

"PurplePride80" wrote:

Did you ever eat that plate of crow I served you after the Twins/WhiteSox series? ;D ;D ;D

[color=red]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast