COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Why boys should be allowed to play with toy guns

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=504992&in_page_id=1770
    Playing with toy weapons helps the development of young boys, according to new Government advice to nurseries and playgroups.

Staff have been told they must resist their "natural instinct" to stop boys using pretend weapons such as guns or light sabres in games with other toddlers.

Fantasy play involving weapons and superheroes allows healthy and safe risk-taking and can also make learning more appealing, says the guidance.

It conflicts with years of "political correctness" in nurseries and playgroups which has led to the banning of toy guns, action hero games and children pretending to fire "guns" using their fingers or Lego bricks...It says some members of staff "find the chosen play of boys more difficult to understand and value than that of girls." This is mainly because they tend to choose activities with more action, often based outdoors.
    Because boys still feel the need to be "hunters/gatherers."
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Why boys should be allowed to play with toy guns

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=504992&in_page_id=1770
    Playing with toy weapons helps the development of young boys, according to new Government advice to nurseries and playgroups.

Staff have been told they must resist their "natural instinct" to stop boys using pretend weapons such as guns or light sabres in games with other toddlers.

Fantasy play involving weapons and superheroes allows healthy and safe risk-taking and can also make learning more appealing, says the guidance.

It conflicts with years of "political correctness" in nurseries and playgroups which has led to the banning of toy guns, action hero games and children pretending to fire "guns" using their fingers or Lego bricks...It says some members of staff "find the chosen play of boys more difficult to understand and value than that of girls." This is mainly because they tend to choose activities with more action, often based outdoors.
    Because boys still feel the need to be "hunters/gatherers."
    And because we don't want to raise an entire generation of metrosexual nancies.

I'm as urbanized and liberal as they come, but even I loved playing "army" as a kid. Yeesh.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

If a boy isn't allowed to play with toy guns he will grow up being a spineless pussy.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I actually took a different approach.

I wouldn't allow Wildman to play with guns as he had a BB gun at 5 and real guns by 8.
    I wanted him to know from day one that guns aren't toys.

He now hunts, fishes, plays golf and baseball for his high school and has had a steady girl (Babe) and after kicking her to the curb for being to clingy has girls calling the house all the time.

If you can't raise a boy to be a strong male without the use of toy guns then I feel sorry for ya.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:

I wouldn't allow Wildman to play with guns as he had a BB gun at 5 and real guns by 8.
    He now hunts, fishes, plays golf and baseball for his high school and has had a steady girl (Babe) and after kicking her to the curb for being to clingy has girls calling the house all the time.

If you can't raise a boy to be a strong male without the use of toy guns then I feel sorry for ya.

;D
    As long as you explain the differences between toys and real life I am good with that. Its those parents that don't that scare me.

donjen95 is offline Rookie

Guns are REAL Life. If our children don't learn that early we are looking at
    more attacks like 911 from people who do.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

;D
    As long as you explain the differences between toys and real life I am good with that. Its those parents that don't that scare me.
    I hear ya and thought about that, however, at somepoint WM was gonna go to someone elses house and have the opportunity to do the right thing.

If that was a house that had guns and kids that weren't taught that they weren't toys I wanted him to understand what the implications were and what to do.

Basically, my approach was to teach him to do the right thing when he was out of my control.

I told you guys I can be a bit anal sometimes.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

My wife and I made it a point to never push one kind of toy or another onto our children.
    If our daughter wanted to play with guns, fine.
    If you son wanted to play dress up, fine.

Our kids are now 5 and 4.
    What is in their rooms?
    Our daughter has pink everything, an entire treasure chest of princess clothes, a doll house that is better equipped than our real house, and enough Barbie dolls to have their own zip code.
    Our son has every tractor known to man, well over 200 matchbox cars, and no less than 12 different footballs (which he can throw a mean spiral with).
    Kids gravitate toward certain types of play naturally.
    Let them choose their play naturally and they will be just fine.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    My wife and I made it a point to never push one kind of toy or another onto our children.
    If our daughter wanted to play with guns, fine.
    If you son wanted to play dress up, fine.

Our kids are now 5 and 4.
    What is in their rooms?
    Our daughter has pink everything, an entire treasure chest of princess clothes, a doll house that is better equipped than our real house, and enough Barbie dolls to have their own zip code.
    Our son has every tractor known to man, well over 200 matchbox cars, and no less than 12 different footballs (which he can throw a mean spiral with).
    Kids gravitate toward certain types of play naturally.
    Let them choose their play naturally and they will be just fine.
    Very good point.

Although I will probably have no choice to give him a football at an early age. I just can't help it.