Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Why Aren't American Sports Fans More Violent?

Why Aren't American Sports Fans More Violent?
    Posted Feb 14th 2007 3:26PM
    by Michael David Smith
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

moviking is offline Training Camp

Re: Why Aren't American Sports Fans More Violent?

I dont know if it is better security or the fact that most fans police themselves. If a group of ogres are being rude, you can bet a larger group will quiet them down. That actually makes sense with what the author said about soccer games being more local affairs with a biger mix of fans.
    A game at the Met might have 10,000 Packer fans at a game, but there is still 50,000 Viking fans to offset any silliness!
    SKOL VIKES!!
    All Hail Bud!!

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Here's a better question. Why are sports fans outside of America so violent?

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I guess I've never thought of this before. Seems like a good question to pose to me.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

PurpleGator is offline Hall of Famer

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    Here's a better question. Why are sports fans outside of America so violent?
    If we want to talk about the incident that happened in Italy, I can give my two cents.
    Since I lived in that city for several years and my family is from there I might be able to help others understand from a different point of view.

What happened in Catania is not the first time.
    We have to go back and think why would these fans react this way.
    This isn't a Packer-Viking rivalry.
    This is a rival that has gone on for over a thousand years.
    This is the battle of the two great cities in Sicily (Palermo and Catania). Palermo is well known world-wide for its culture and people.
    Catania is known for its culture but better known for Mt. Etna (largest active Volcano in Europe).
    The two have been battling it out for years.
    So when a police officer dies people are shocked.
    I am not as shocked but very disappointed.
    I know they are very passionate about there sports but it is much more than sports.
    Some feel that they need to prove to others how important there city/region is.
    In other countries they have rivalries that had nothing to do with sports until now. People have fought and died for there rivalries, cities have been destroyed, lives have been lost, and land has been gained and taken away.
    We just play our sports and make fun of the other team. There feelings, attitude, and character towards there rivals are on a whole other level.

I thought what happens in Italy stays in Italy! lol

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

the only sports fans that are violent are the paretns of little leaguers and high school players....and also maybe a few that attend Detroit Piston/Indiana Pacer Games.

LOL! Good one WVV. character requirement

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I think the title of the article should be something like " Be Thankful that American Sport's Fans Aren't More Violent ".
    I know Italy has been highlighted for the recent and unfortunate incidents but unfortunately a large number of countries have suffered or do still suffer with the problem of violence at games. It's unfortunate that clubs get associated with things like this as the people involved aren't fans but merely latch onto the team as a rallying point for their violent ways.
    Unfortunately once something like this gets established in a country then it never really goes away, the best that can happen is that it is reduced and prevented to a greater degree but it is always there. You only have to look at the way England fans are policed nowadays at international games abroad. Most times there is little or no trouble but you always know that the potential is there for problems.
    We know that there are certain stadiums in the NFL that are not advisable for away fans - such as Philly and New York. I just hope that it gets no further than that or eventually you could go down the same line as soccer which is not something to be desired. That's one thing that gets me annoyed when Iggles or NY fans poh pooh the reputation their home fans have as being harmless fun.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

My bet is that they don't live up to the hype at ny when i go to see that game.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast