Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mogwai is offline Starter

Re: Who's your favorite New Wave band?

television= another great underrated band

Tron is offline Waterboy

Yeah, I would consider The Talking Heads in that category - and very underrated...

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Tron" wrote:
    Who's Shock?
    Shockzilla...a man among men and a valued and highly respected member of PP.O!

You will meet him soon enough! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

If you count Blondie as being new wave I would say them. As for new bands who have been heavily influenced by new wave I'd go for Franz Ferdinand.

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

"Prophet" wrote:
    Is it still new if it has been around for a few decades?
    By my standards, all music released after the advent of MTV is considered "new," a product of a musical dark age. In the early '90's, we nearly achieved a rebirth, but it was shamelessly exploited by commercialized networks who have been recycling this music but making it more overtly sexual and much more retarded to try to keep people from noticing.

(I'm just talking about MOST popular commercial bands. I'm not necessarily insulting whatever it is you listen to, and I don't want anyone going like "Well, this indie band is good," because, sadly, they don't make anywhere near as much of an impact as they ought to).

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

"BBQ Platypus" wrote:

By my standards, all music released after the advent of MTV is considered "new," a product of a musical dark age. In the early '90's, we nearly achieved a rebirth, but it was shamelessly exploited by commercialized networks who have been recycling this music but making it more overtly sexual and much more Challenged Hillbilly Lover'd to try to keep people from noticing.

(I'm just talking about MOST popular commercial bands. I'm not necessarily insulting whatever it is you listen to, and I don't want anyone going like "Well, this indie band is good," because, sadly, they don't make anywhere near as much of an impact as they ought to).
    As far as independant music is concerned, being an indie artist myself, the only impact that matters to me personally is the impact I make on those who listen to and enjoy my music (either live, on CD, vinyl [yes, vinyl] or MP3/online). Sure, I have a smaller audience, but my goals have never been to have mainstream success (my music wouldn't allow that) so a huge "impact" isn't possible or even wanted. It's about a passion for the music itself, not "success" defined by someone elses terms. If someone likes my band or I like another indie band, that's the only impact that matters to me. But granted, if a wider commercial success did happen to me on my terms, I'd welcome it with open arms.

Regarding the "rebirth" of music you mentioned that took place in the early 90's, that was just the mainstream finally noticing the underground, exploiting it and then having it fall out of favor again when sales went down. There was great underground music well before the early 90's and there has been alot since that time. You just gotta find it. You can't rely on someone in a suit in L.A. or Nashville to find it for you.

And let me also stress, I'm not critisizing the music that any of you listen to, you have the right to like whatever you want, just saying that there is great music out there, it just matters where you look.
    Even babies know the difference.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Is Nelly a new wave band? lol

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12