Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 94
  1. #1
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Who is the World's Most Popular Athlete?

    First off - the Americans will need to get over ourselves. It isn't Tom Brady. It isn't Kobe Bryant. It isn't Derek Jeter.

    So - who is it?

    My honest guess is probably Michael Schumacher. The Prancing Horse has done an amazing job of building his popularity and f1 racing has world-wide coverage.

    Another guess might honestly be Tiger Woods. Golf has global reach - and so does Nike.

    And I'm sure there are some particular soccer/football types who should be nominated, as well. Ronaldinho? Beckham? Henry?

    Let's keep this to ACTIVE athletes, please. I know that eliminates one who people want to suggest (Michael Jordan) and one who was once EASILY the most well-known (Muhammed Ali) and one who was so well-known he was even a celebrity here even though no one cared (Pele).

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  2. #2
    cc21 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,599

    Re: Who is the World's Most Popular Athlete?

    I think maybe Shaq. Everyone knows who the guy is. Even if you don't know a thing about basketball you know who Shaq is.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Who is the World's Most Popular Athlete?

    Beckham....without a doubt !
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold



    Thanks to PPE for sig

  4. #4
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Who is the World's Most Popular Athlete?

    "coreychavous21" wrote:
    I think maybe Shaq. Everyone knows who the guy is. Even if you don't know a thing about basketball you know who Shaq is.
    Yao Ming is probably better known than Shaq, in my humble opinion.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  5. #5
    vikingTurf Guest

    Re: Who is the World's Most Popular Athlete?

    "AWZeus" wrote:
    First off - the Americans will need to get over ourselves. It isn't Tom Brady. It isn't Kobe Bryant. It isn't Derek Jeter.

    So - who is it?

    My honest guess is probably Michael Schumacher. The Prancing Horse has done an amazing job of building his popularity and f1 racing has world-wide coverage.

    Another guess might honestly be Tiger Woods. Golf has global reach - and so does Nike.

    And I'm sure there are some particular soccer/football types who should be nominated, as well. Ronaldinho? Beckham? Henry?

    Let's keep this to ACTIVE athletes, please. I know that eliminates one who people want to suggest (Michael Jordan) and one who was once EASILY the most well-known (Muhammed Ali) and one who was so well-known he was even a celebrity here even though no one cared (Pele).

    =Z=
    i was about to throw Pele and MJ until I read your request of keeping it to current athletes.
    It's a very tough question indeed, but i think that athlete could be one of the following:
    david beckam
    Yao(simply because of population of china)
    Sachin Tendulkar(again, becoz of population of India)

  6. #6
    vikingTurf Guest

    Re: Who is the World's Most Popular Athlete?

    "coreychavous21" wrote:
    I think maybe Shaq. Everyone knows who the guy is. Even if you don't know a thing about basketball you know who Shaq is.
    only ifyou are in US, trust me, i don't think he is that popular as you think

  7. #7
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Who is the World's Most Popular Athlete?

    "vikingTurf" wrote:
    It's a very tough question indeed, but i think that athlete could be one of the following:
    david beckam
    Yao(simply because of population of china)
    Sachin Tendulkar(again, becoz of population of India)
    Is that last guy a cricketer?

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  8. #8
    vikingTurf Guest

    Re: Who is the World's Most Popular Athlete?

    The reason I don't think Schumacher is not the top most popular is that F1 is not big in 3rd world poor countries, whereas sport like soccer has its appeal pretty much everywhere

  9. #9
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: Who is the World's Most Popular Athlete?

    I would tend to think it is not an American.

    Probably a race car driver or soccer player. Not Shaq. Lebron is bigger worldwide than Shaq now.

  10. #10
    vikingTurf Guest

    Re: Who is the World's Most Popular Athlete?

    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "vikingTurf" wrote:
    It's a very tough question indeed, but i think that athlete could be one of the following:
    david beckam
    Yao(simply because of population of china)
    Sachin Tendulkar(again, becoz of population of India)
    Is that last guy a cricketer?

    =Z=
    Yeah, and nowwadays he is old and people are getting over his hype, but just few yrs back people would worship him alongside their GODS!!! and yeah i am not kidding

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Paralympic Athlete Melissa Stockwell
    By VikingMike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-20-2008, 10:24 AM
  2. Bulldog in Top Ten most popular breeds
    By VikingMike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-17-2008, 01:06 PM
  3. World's Tallest Man Meets The World's Smallest Man
    By Ltrey33 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-15-2007, 11:52 PM
  4. Chad Greenway: Ranked #1 Hawkeye men's athlete
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-03-2006, 06:04 PM
  5. Toughest athlete hands down is Brett Favre.
    By oldschoolmikey in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 03:17 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •