Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

When/how did you become a Viking fan?

My purple blood goes back to '83 and the days of Bud Grant. Channel 4 had started showing NFL football the year before but at that time none of the teams really grabbed my attention.
    So in '83 was the first pre-season game played outside of North America when the Vikes squared off against the-then St. Louis Cardinals at Wembley Stadium. I got tickets for the game, as Wembley was only a 20 minute drive away ( shortest journey I'll ever have to see them play ! )and then wondered who to support. I lived in Northolt which is a suburb on the edge of West London and for reasons I don't know, seems to have the name Vikings in various forms in the area. There is a Viking Sports soccer team, there was a pub called The Viking - always full of motorbikers. The clincher was that the local telephone exchange name, where I worked as an engineer, had been called Viking in the days before all-number dialling.
    So taking it as sign of fate and good fortune I went and saw my first live NFL game, joined the purple faithful and celebrated a 28-10 win over the Cardinals. The bonus was annoying the hell out of a group of Cardinal fans sat behind me who fumed as the 'brit' saw his adopted team beat them.
    Following them hasn't always been easy, especially in the early years as we had to make do with a highlights show a week behind, newpapers never had the results in until Tuesday ( wednesday for MNF games ) and generally information was hard to come by. I could write a long article on what being a NFL fan was like this side of the pond. Least now with the net and satellite TV I'm only a short way behind you guys with news and I have been very fortunate to finally get to the TC to see them again.
    My family and work colleagues just let me get on with, so you can say I have the purple blood well and truly.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

JTSnow is offline Pro-Bowler

when i was 8 i went to some store and the had a vikings short and i like it so much i got my mom to buy it, then after that i made them my favorite team. but before i liked the vikings i liked the packers, never again.
    [img:4c22618921]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/vikingstw/Untitled-1.jpg[/img:4c22618921].

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Born in 1966, I spent 8 of the first 10 years of my life in St. Paul (with a two-year tour-of-duty in Pompano Beach, Florida).

I grew up with radio commercials from Twin City Federal advertising whatever they were advertising, but always endorsed by "Bench-warmer Bob Lurtzema".

I got to watch Tarkenton, Yary, Krause, Page, Eller, Marshall, Foreman, Rashad, and all the "Old School" Vikings every week. And, of course, all my friends and relatives in the TC area were Vikes fans too.

Then came the tragic day that 3M transferred my Dad to Wisconsin. I was dragged away from my beloved Minnesota, and sent screaming into the depths of Wisconsin. Suddenly surrounded by green and gold, I clung to my purple memories and waited anxiously for football season.

This was, of course, the late 70's, and Green Bay was HORRIBLE. One of our neighbors would bet me a quarter on the games...I won more than I lost.

Time passed, I got older and, like many of you, found my attention drifting into other activities. Sports, girls, guitars, girls, beer, girls, oh...and girls too. I remained a Viking fan, but wasn't real avid. I missed most of the '80's due to the Military, and was hit-or-miss in the 90's due to bars and women (lots of hazy Sundays).

About 8-10 years ago I started following the team closer and closer. And, as the years have passed, I have gotten more involved in what they do beyond Sunday (Draft, Free Agents, Ownership, etc). I suppose I have become a more "complete" fan. Further, living in Wisconsin, I also follow the Packers fairly close (Know your enemy), mostly looking for more things to zing the Packer faithful with.

Being married (for the moment anyway) and raising kids (an "almost 16", and "almost 14", and twin "almost 6's"), I now spend virtually no time in bars, and find I look forward to my Sunday with the boys more and more. "The Boys" being, of course, the Vikings. My wife (for now, anyway) is a Packer fan, but the girls are all biased in my favor.

I suppose I am now a more "complete" fan. During the years of the Purple People Eaters, I was too young to really appreciate them. Now, being so far removed from them - and surrounded by Green and Gold everywhere I look - I can only dream of winning the lottery and heading back to Minnesota.

One side effect of my increased fan intensity is that everyone who knows me - even in passing - knows I'm a Viking fan. Almost every day I am wearing SOMETHING that proclaims my affiliation - a hat, shirt, jersey, sweatshirt, socks, or a combination thereof. Win, lose, or draw, my colors are on display. An island of purple in a sea of green and gold.

So, before the rest of you nod off, I'll wrap it up here. Great thread, great stories. A lot of similarities amongst those of us who started young. Keep 'em comming.

Caine

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I was born a vikings fan and will always be a vikings fan. My parents weren't big vikes fans but for some reason I went with them and stuck with them. Everyone in MN went for them so I just went for them too but didn't really think about it.

Then I moved to NC and realized how much I really liked the vikes. I haven't stopped liking the vikes since.

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Been watching football since I was a little kid but didn't really have a team until 1987 when I saw the Vikings in the playoffs against the 49ers. Back then the 49ers of course were the dynasty to beat, but I have always been one to pull for the underdog, so I started cheering for the Vikings. Sacked Montana 4 times, picked him off twice, and won the game. It was amazing. So I started pulling for the Vikes in other games and soon became a fan.

It was also easy to pull for the Vikings after that because a couple years earlier they drafted one of my favorite players EVER, Chris Doleman. He was my idol, partly because I played defensive end in high school and he remains my favorite Viking of all time still today.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

OK, here's my story. Should be pretty interesting since I'm one of the older Viking fans on the site...

My first exposure to the Purple Gang was the 1975 team - 12 and 2, best team in the NFC at the time. We made the playoffs and were taking on the Dallas Cowboys at Met Stadium. If I remember correctly, Fran Tarkenton had been named the NFL MVP that year, and the Vikes, arguably, had their best team ever that year. They were about 10 point favorites in that game, and it was pretty tight the whole game. The Vikes had a 14-10 lead with about 4 minutes or so left in the game. The Cowboys had about 75-80 yards to go for the go-ahead score, and the Vikes' D had been pretty fierce all afternoon. Little did Fran know it, but his father had died of a heart attack earlier in the game.

The Cowboys did pretty much nothing but pass on that last drive. With about 1 minute to go (I THINK) the Cowboys' Roger Staubach threw a long pass down the right sideline, looking to hook up with Drew Pearson. At about the twenty yard line, Pearson and the Vikes' Nate Wright were stride-for-stride with each other, Wright on the inside and Pearson on the outside. As the ball came down, Pearson distinctly gave Wright a shove, knocking Wright down. Catching the ball off his hip, Pearson kind of looked around for a flag and, assuming he'd gotten away with the worst pass-interference NON-call in NFL history, danced into the end zone. The Vikes were definitely crushed, and the replay of that play (if you ever see it), clearly shows Pearson pushing Wright down. Anyway, the final score was Dallas 17, Vikes 14. The game did not end on that play (the Vikes got the ball back one more time), but perhaps their finest season ever did end that day.

They DID go to the Super Bowl the next season (losing 32-14 to Oakland), but that was the last time they went.

I have been a fan ever since, and I have my Dad Ken (died 1992) to thank for that. As I was growing up, EVERY Sunday during the football season was reserved for watching the Vikes, no matter WHAT was going on in our lives... Some of my fondest memories of growing up were on those Sundays, cheering on our boys with my Dad. We weren't really close in his later years, but on those Sundays, it was like I was 10 again, and my Dad and I had at least one thing in common then...

I miss my Dad, but remembering him keeps my blood Purple, and I'll DIE a Viking fan...
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

GREAT story, Shock!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

That was deep, very cool, except for Pearson getting away with what was clearly pass interference. I've seen highlights of that game and to say that was highway robbery would be an understatement. Looks like this franchise has been kursed and detested from the very begining.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"cajunvike" wrote:
    GREAT story, Shock!
    Your turn.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    GREAT story, Shock!
    Your turn.
    I already did that in the last thread for this...it's up to you to find it!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast