Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

What's wrong with these ads in Minnesota?

I looked at the ads and frankly I can't see much to get upset about.

A conservative group recently started an advertising campaign in Minnesota showing veterans and families of slain troops expressing their support for the Iraq war, only to have the head of the state Democratic Party condemn the ads as "un-American, untruthful and a lie." He furthermore demands that Minnesota television stations pull the ads "and send a message that we will not tolerate this kind of 'swiftboating' anymore." At least one station so far has complied with the request, which is reason enough for outrage.
    But there's been precious little of that. Aside from a handful of bloggers covering the issue and an appearance of one of the veterans on Fox News' "Hannity and Colmes," the media has ignored the issue completely, essentially proving one of the ad campaign's main points. The current media meme, at least as it concerns the homefront, is that most returning veterans have turned against the war and those still in field are demoralized and jaded. Meanwhile, parents of slain troops like Cindy Sheehan continue to rack up air time and column inches. The ad campaign seeks to correct this blatant misrepresentation.
    Which is exactly why Democrats are trying to stop it with accusations that the ads are somehow "untruthful." The claim is absurd on its face, but their list of so-called lies is so slim that a brief analysis is warranted. The veterans in the first ad say that "our enemy in Iraq is al Qaeda -- the same terrorists who killed three thousand Americans on 9/11." To liberal ears, this is apparently the equivalent of claiming Iraq was behind September 11. But that's not what the veterans said. In any case, last we checked Abu Musab Zarqawi, who has publicly sworn loyalty to Osama bin Laden, is the leader of "Al Qaeda in Iraq."
    Democrats have also taken issue with the ad's statement that U.S. troops "overwhelmingly" support the mission -- a fact clearly upheld by record-setting retention rates in the military branches. The retention rate in the Army, for instance, is the highest it's been in five years, especially in combat units currently serving in Iraq. And that about covers the "lies."
    The more disturbing issue here is that Democrats are trying to silence a contrary point of view, and are doing so by calling soldiers and military families "un-American." Whenever Republicans attempt to counter antiwar sentiment, be it from the Cindy Sheehans or Paul Hacketts, Democrats shed crocodile tears over the "crushing of dissent." But this is what crushing dissenters actually looks like -- a smear campaign designed explicitly to keep the public from hearing the other side.
    Fortunately, readers can see the ads for themselves at www.midwestheroes.com and decide what's so "un-American" about soldiers and families supporting the war.

I don't mean to start a political debate but I just can't see what all the flack is about.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Del Rio Guest

Re: What's wrong with these ads in Minnesota?

Is that the reason we are in Iraq now? It changes daily.

I say let the ads be shown who cares. People can think for themselves.

One question though: Are there ads and Billboards of Anti-war as well? I doubt it. What Sheehan is doing is National news not local. If they allow the Vetran signs then I guess no one would have a problem with ads that say the exact opposite right?

Not likely the right wingers would have their panties in a knot, just like the lefties do over this.

It's a no win situation for the American PUBLIC. The real PEOPLE that keep this country going to have two parties bitching over useless propaganda adds.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

i remember hearing something about one of the soldiers moms presented in the video.. wasnt really his mom but was his step mom. his real mom is against the war but his step mom is for it.. and they showed the step mom but reffered to her as "mom"

i really dont care either way though. theres so much junk that goes on with the war.. so much ill never know from either side.. i just dont pay attention anymore.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Seems to me I remember a place in Northern Minnesota having a sign right next to the Army recruiters telling how many soldiers had been killed in Iraq. I don't remember the right asking that sign to be taken down although there was a "stink" about it.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Is that the reason we are in Iraq now? It changes daily.

I say let the ads be shown who cares. People can think for themselves.

One question though: Are there ads and Billboards of Anti-war as well? I doubt it. What Sheehan is doing is National news not local. If they allow the Vetran signs then I guess no one would have a problem with ads that say the exact opposite right?

Not likely the right wingers would have their panties in a knot, just like the lefties do over this.

It's a no win situation for the American PUBLIC. The real PEOPLE that keep this country going to have two parties bitching over useless propaganda adds.
    You give the general American public too much credit IMHO...LOL

Most people want to be told what to do...and how to think...pretty pathetic for a country that considers itself to be a DEMOCRACY! :cry:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

As a veteran, I think the ads should continue to be shown. In fact, I wish they were shown nation wide, not just in Minnesota.

I also realize that my view is not the global view though. I would expect nothing less of a democratic response in a state as liberal as Minnesota. I am not upset at the democratic request to pull the ads, although I am extremely surprised that a station complied. Very few media outlets smile and nod when told they need to censure their publication. Which station was it?

Anyway, I see no need for outrage. What this comes to is two sides expressing their opinions in legal, albeit incenting ways. I support our troops and the present conflict. I have also been called much worse things than Un-American, so I let that slide off...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

**tick, tick, tick**

Del Rio Guest

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Seems to me I remember a place in Northern Minnesota having a sign right next to the Army recruiters telling how many soldiers had been killed in Iraq. I don't remember the right asking that sign to be taken down although there was a "stink" about it.
    I am not from Minnesota so I have never seen the sign that may or may not have been there.

From the sounds of your description though the Vetran ads are a campaign to spread a message. Not one sign sitting in contrast to another opinion that is clearly visable for the world to see.

The ads would make no difference at all to me and my own opinion either way. I just can't take anyone seriously when it comes to these discussions when they blame a party, knowing for certain that is the left put together a campaign to be aired locally that was againts the war in the opposit manner of the one being discussed that the right would shit themselves in the same way.

And again I would state the people that matter in this bickering gain nothing. It's simply an argument between two groups of people who think they know what is best for the world about who gets to spread what propoganda they want to use to influence the masses.

Cajun: I probably do give people too much credit. The only way I justify my statements is to say if you can't think for yourself you wont last long anyway so Darwin will take care of you in the end, and it will matter very little.

Del Rio Guest

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    **tick, tick, tick**
    LMAO

I have my hand on the button captain, awaiting orders..........

*Tick, Tick, Tick*

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"happy camper" wrote:
    i remember hearing something about one of the soldiers moms presented in the video.. wasnt really his mom but was his step mom. his real mom is against the war but his step mom is for it.. and they showed the step mom but reffered to her as "mom".
    Careful making that distinction. I know a lot of step parents who are more of a parent than the displaced one. Many step mothers (and step fathers), especially those who marry into the family when the children are very young, have just as strong or an even stronger bond with the child than the displaced biological parent.

What's the saying, "Anybody can be a father, but it takes a man to be a daddy"...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast