Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: What's in the bag and what's your handicap?

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Bkfldviking" wrote:
    I had a handicap of 36 (only because that is as high as it goes).
    I had a real nasty slice when driving and the course I played on had five holes with out of bounds markers.
    I also had a mental block with water hazards.
    If it was visible that is where my ball went, and since hole 5 had a water hazard between the tee and the hole you can imagine where I spent most of my day.

One day I had a beautiful drive straight as an arrow to the green.
    I could almost taste the eagle in my thoughts....until one of the guys in our foursome explained to me that we were on the first tee and my ball was on the sixth green.
    Pissed me off so bad I quit that day and haven't been back.
    A nasty slice, if it is consistent is nothing more than a result of a weak grip and that doesn't mean how hard you are squeezing the club.

If you golf righthanded, as most people do, just take your left hand and rotate it towards your right hand a bit (strenghting your grip) until you figure straighten your slice out.

I recommend you go to a driving range and pay close attention to how you grip the club, exact position of your fingers.
    Hit a few with your fingers in those same spots. If you are slicing, then start working on it by strenghting your grip a little at a time.

Eventually you will find it is going away.
    From then on, always put your hands back on your grips in the exact same spot (all grips have some sort of unique marking to make this simple to do).

Another thing that will help is to slow and shorten your back swing.
    Taking it back slow ensures that you get your club head in the proper position before you bring it back forward and shortening your swing helps get the club head back into position when it hits the bal.

I typically go with a 3/4 backswing if I am slicing bad.

I highly recommend that anyone who wants to golf and have fun should read this book by the way.

Mr. Penick was and still is one of the most respected golf instructors to ever walk the hallowed fairways, bunkers and greens of a sport you can never win.

ive tried everything, and worked with several instructors, and after all of that, i figured to just play my slice..its consistent, and i always know where its going, so ive learned to play with it..no problems with any other club in the bag, just the driver gives me that slice, and luckily for me, it doesnt end up hurting me because i can keep it right in the fairway by aiming my drives

only time it can bother me is on some holes with narrow fairways with tree's to the left..i often have to sacrifice some distance and hit a 3 or 5 wood..other than that, i cant really complain
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Bkfldviking" wrote:
    I had a real nasty slice when driving and the course I played on had five holes with out of bounds markers.
    If it was visible that is where my ball went, and since hole 5 had a water hazard between the tee and the hole you can imagine where I spent most of my day.

I could almost taste the eagle in my thoughts....until one of the guys in our foursome explained to me that we were on the first tee and my ball was on the sixth green.
    A nasty slice, if it is consistent is nothing more than a result of a weak grip and that doesn't mean how hard you are squeezing the club.

If you golf righthanded, as most people do, just take your left hand and rotate it towards your right hand a bit (strenghting your grip) until you figure straighten your slice out.

I recommend you go to a driving range and pay close attention to how you grip the club, exact position of your fingers.
    Hit a few with your fingers in those same spots. If you are slicing, then start working on it by strenghting your grip a little at a time.

From then on, always put your hands back on your grips in the exact same spot (all grips have some sort of unique marking to make this simple to do).

Taking it back slow ensures that you get your club head in the proper position before you bring it back forward and shortening your swing helps get the club head back into position when it hits the bal.

I highly recommend that anyone who wants to golf and have fun should read this book by the way.

Mr. Penick was and still is one of the most respected golf instructors to ever walk the hallowed fairways, bunkers and greens of a sport you can never win.

also, remember, if your right handed, remember to keep your right elbow tucked close to your body.
    When you let your arm get loose and your elbow gets away from your body, thats when your swing starts to slice, because your club head is coming outside to inside, creating sidespin.

Taylor Made R7 Quad, Mizuno mx 17 irons, Odessey White Hot Putter...
    Still at least a 14 HC
    It was worse before i got these clubs though..
    How bout you sideburns.. You want somma this milk??

10 Handicap
    Taylormade R7 10.5 degree driver
    Wilson Staff Irons
    Ping Craz E putter

Have played Pebble Beach, Poppy Hills in Calif....
    Troon, Greyhawk, Eagle Mountain, and The Phoenician in Arizona....
    Pumpkin Ridge in Oregon.....
    and of course, many other nice, but lessor known courses throughout the West.

I play about 80 rounds a year.
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

I have both my testicles and no disabilities thank you very much. ;D

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

What's in the bag and what's your handicap?
    Testicles. They're way above par for the course.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

digital420 is online now Team Alumni

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Bkfldviking" wrote:

also, remember, if your right handed, remember to keep your right elbow tucked close to your body.
    When you let your arm get loose and your elbow gets away from your body, thats when your swing starts to slice, because your club head is coming outside to inside, creating sidespin.
    i have a natural slice on my driver only. after spending days at the range (had this slice most of my golfing life.. all 19 years of it) and walking through each club i can tell that the grip is the same. and probably the biggest factor is the elbow.. this is a key pint in the swing as the slightest difference causes a major difference.

now.. i play the slice on my driver by switching my stance a bit left.. and can end up fareway around 200+ yards.

any time any1 of you are in athens, or if i ever get back in good golfin weather. the old man and i are always up for some tee time.

btw.. have a new ping set, and been on the greens with it now 10 times.. luv the grip and balance they have!!

DiGiTaL

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    You need a golfing license to play gold here, i'm working on it only have had 4 lessons so far.

While in Vegas i hit the shooting range which i wasn't all that bad actually for somebody who never played.
    I never thought about Holland being that bad, however, I hear Japan is pretty bad as well.
    We have a golf club/course close to us here (Cheatam Annex) on the weapons station (Military) that will let you golf all day if they aren't busy.
    $12.00 to walk.

They are also one of the few in the area that allowed youngsters (5 years or so) on the course.
    Its were Wildman learned most of what he knows about golfing.

I used to put a Vikings Football helmet on him and off we would go for a day on the links.

I could beat him then by the way.

As I said earlier, he started to get series about his game a 4 years ago or so.
    Now I can't.......;D
    Believe me you need a license for everything around here!!

That's nice Marr, I'd love to play a game with you, and everybody here on PP.O ( especially Turboe )
    If you say golf you say Turboe.
    Well thank you for the kind words, I might put that on my tombstone.

I am not sure how I managed to miss this thread until now, that is not like me.

Must have been because I was out playing golf or watching The Open Championship yesterday.

Anyway:

Index: 5.0
    Home Handicap :6.0
    Driver:
    Taylor Made R7 Quad (original model), weights set Neutral, Graphite Design YS-6 Reg shaft.
    3W: Callaway Big Bertha Warbird, RCH 99 stiff shaft.
    1Iron: (yeah, I know. can you believe it) Hogan Apex, Apex 4 shaft. (there is a good story, but I wont bore you with it right now, if there is interest I will.)
    3I-9I: Hogan Apex Plus, Apex 4 shafts.
    PW: Snake Eyes #10 (Original EV head) 50deg loft, True Temper Dynamic Gold reg shaft.
    SW: Cleveland Tour Action 900 (Low Bounce Head) 56deg, True Temper Dynamic Gold reg shaft.
    LW: Cleveland Tour Action Reg. 588 Raw Tour Grind, 60deg, True Temper Dynamic Gold reg shaft.
    (about 2 months ago I lost my Snake Eyes #12 wedge that was in my bag for more than 10 yrs, and I am just finally starting to get over the heartbreak)
    Putter: Zebra/Teardrop Z2
    Ping Hoofer Bag

Member at Musgrove Mill GC in Clinton, SC

I probably average 3 times a week lately, but that is decieving because I may go a week or more without playing (which I never did a few years ago), but I still jam in lots of 36 hole days, often in succession on golf get aways.

I havent had quite the experiences that Max above has with pro-ams, but I have gotten to play many of the great courses of the world.
    I have played over 100 different courses each year for the last 11 straight years, although this year may be a struggle right down to the wire.
    The last several years it has been fairly close, as family constraints make it more difficult to keep the streak alive.
    My totals are down a little from a peak back around 2000 (when I played 144 different courses in 28 states, 1 US territory, and 2 Canadian Provinces) but that was before I started my own business and got married.

I have been fortunate enough to play 69 of America's 100 Greatest Golf Courses, and have played golf in 40 states and I hope to stay healthy enough and make the right contacts to fill in all of those missing in both of those categories.

[img width=450 height=337]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/Turboe/GCA%20General/2008-05-16_5627.jpg[/img]
    3rd hole at Torrey Pines last month just before it closed for the open.

[img width=450 height=337]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/Turboe/GCA%20General/2007-07-12_2117.jpg[/img]
    Maidstone out on Long Island.

[img width=450 height=337]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/Turboe/GCA%20General/2007-07-10_1687.jpg[/img]
    The only course where a "Windmill" is good thing to have on it:
    National Golf Links of America.

Again I have not played in a lot of Pro-ams like Max, but have had the chance to meet or play with several interesting people through golf.
    Donald Trump, Matt Blair, Charles Oakley, Tracy McGrady, Daunte Culpepper, James Worthy, Tom Brady, Vince Carter, Greg Norman, and many of the Clemson boys here locally DJ Trahan, Jonathan Byrd, Jay & Bill Haas, Charles Warren.

Golf is nothing, except the greatest game ever invented.

I just noticed after I posted this, that my motto that used to be in my signature is not there anymore, so until I fix that I will put it here:

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

GALLY is offline Starter

I usually go about 100-110 (I've broke 100 twice).
    I have a slice off the tee but when I play for it I usually hit it straight.
    If I do hit the drive good I am right around 290-300 now if I can only be consistent.
    I also suck at chipping (just no consistency).

I have found that when you just go out and have fun none of that other stuff matters.
    I hate golfers that take it too seriously......they make the game not fun anymore.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Love the game, but I don't play enough to be good at it.
    I only started about 7 years ago, and play from 3 to 5 times per year.
    I've come within an inch of birdying a couple of times, but I'm generally happy with anything in the "bogey" range.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast