Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: What We'd Lose if We Had to Buy Only American

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1098198
    Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1098197
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1098196
    Take Shania Twain back too. She is all used up.
    Oh we'll take her back and Randy Quaid is heading back south but Pamela Anderson Lee has to stay in the US as she has had so much California silicon and botox in her she's now made in the USA
    Fine,

But for the time being we are keeping Elisha Cuthbert :P
    Thats alright, she's been passed around the NHL enough, she's all yours. In the words of Sean Avery, you can have "my sloppy seconds".

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1098200
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1098124
    Quote Originally Posted by "BadlandsVikings" #1098103
    Legions of patriotic Americans look for "made in USA" stickers before buying products, out of a desire to support the country's economy.

But what if we all were restricted to purchasing only those goods that were made in America?

Our homes would be stripped virtually bare of........
    http://money.msn.com/how-to-budget/what-if-you-had-to-buy-american.aspx?gt1=33029
    So many elements were left out of that article so that the author could write a pro-import piece...

The problem we face is that the cost of living here is much higher than in China, India, or Taiwan. Those places also don't have things like US taxes, FICA, EPA, or OSHA. Put that all together, and the companies manufacturing over there are paying a LOT less for labor...and pocketing it all as pure profit.

The author tried to argue that, "There's no question that U.S. manufacturers employ far fewer people now -- about 11.7 million in April -- than when the sector peaked at 19.6 million workers in 1979. But the decline in jobs is largely due to technological advances that have reduced the number of workers needed to run factories, Perry and Fisher pointed out.", but I dispute that. General Motors shipped most of it's jobs from Janesville to Silao, Mexico. General Electric reduced it's US workforce by 5000 jobs...but increased it's overseas workforce by - you guessed it - 5000 jobs.

While technological improvements have played a part, they didn't administer the killing blow that NAFTA did.

The truth is, the "Free Trade" agreements only benefit the manufacturers. If I can ship my products anywhere, without tarrifs or fees, then it makes financial sense to go where the manufacturing COSTS are cheapest...and that ain't here.

There are reasons why 95% of the wealth in America is in 3% of the hands...after all, how many $10,000-per-plate fund raisers have YOU gone to? Between big business, big oil, and big finance, we're screwed.

Caine
    Which is why I'm retiring in the Philippines as Ned has done.

The labor rates is so low in those counties, it's unbelievable. My employer TRW, has a factory in Mexico just to reap those cheap rates & even in those countries there's still stiff competition.

It's not uncommon for a TRW employee in Mexico to go out for lunch, be offered another job on the street for a few pennies more per hour at the factory across the street, He'll take that job on the spot, starting there right after his lunch, never to go back to TRW. That is why TRW & other companies have a cafeteria in them, so the laborers don't go out to lunch.
    Sounds like you should move there right now. How is their social security and health care system?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1098205
    How is their ...health care system?
    Willing to be it's not much worse than the US's.

in 2010, Americans were the LEAST satisfied with their health care out of 10 major countries.

in fact, the WHO has USA ranked 37th in the world for health care. Behind such countries as: Monaco, Colombia, Cyprus, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Israel, Morocco, Costa Rica, in fact, they are only two ahead of Cuba.

Philipeans are ranked #60. Not too far off.

A big reason too, is education. in the Philipeans, they are able to cure alot of diseases, they are able to treat most illnesses. The issue is the people a) don't know what is wrong, and b) live in tiny remote villages without access to real medical facilities.

Singer seems smart enough to know when he should get checked out, and considering he's living well enough in the US, he can afford to get treated in the Philipeans.

Some concerning numbers, for supposedly the greatest country in the world:

35: Percentage of uninsured adults who reported that in the last year they needed care that they did not get; 47 percent reported that they postponed seeking care because of cost during the past year.

23: Percentage of families without insurance who report spending less on other basic needs such as food and heat in order to pay medical bills.

30: Percentage of sick Americans who have access to same-day care
    45: Percentage of sick Britons who have access to same-day care.

1: Ranking of health care costs among reasons Americans file for bankruptcy.

Unless I'm making some good money, or have an excellent job that will cover ALL health care needs, I'd take my odds in the Philipeans. At least there you won't have to decide which finger you can afford to have re-attached.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1098208

in 2010, Americans were the LEAST satisfied with their health care out of 10 major countries.

in fact, the WHO has USA ranked 37th in the world for health care. Behind such countries as: Monaco, Colombia, Cyprus, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Israel, Morocco, Costa Rica, in fact, they are only two ahead of Cuba.

A big reason too, is education. in the Philipeans, they are able to cure alot of diseases, they are able to treat most illnesses. The issue is the people a) don't know what is wrong, and b) live in tiny remote villages without access to real medical facilities.

Singer seems smart enough to know when he should get checked out, and considering he's living well enough in the US, he can afford to get treated in the Philipeans.

35: Percentage of uninsured adults who reported that in the last year they needed care that they did not get; 47 percent reported that they postponed seeking care because of cost during the past year.

23: Percentage of families without insurance who report spending less on other basic needs such as food and heat in order to pay medical bills.

Unless I'm making some good money, or have an excellent job that will cover ALL health care needs, I'd take my odds in the Philipeans. At least there you won't have to decide which finger you can afford to have re-attached.
    It's the price we pay in the USA for funding the health care research and drug development that helps the rest of the world. Yes, it is a shame that we have to subsidize the planet both in health care but also militarily but that is where we are.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1098209

It's the price we pay in the USA for funding the health care research and drug development that helps the rest of the world. Yes, it is a shame that we have to subsidize the planet both in health care but also militarily but that is where we are.
    If you truly believe that is why, I feel bad for you.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1098195
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1098191
    Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1098184
    Quote Originally Posted by "Traveling_Vike" #1098173
    You Canadians can have all of your stuff back except for Tim Horton's.

:lol:
    You have to keep Celine Dion in Vegas too :P
    We'll give you justin bieber if you like
    And Jim Carey. I never liked him.
    You can have Howie Mandel and Michael J Fox back. We have enough OCD and Parkinsons here

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1098210

Oh, don't feel bad for me. I sleep well at night knowing that the USA is there to protect and subsidize it's little sister Canada.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1098215

Oh, don't feel bad for me. I sleep well at night knowing that the USA is there to protect and subsidize it's little sister Canada.
    Deflection shields at full power I see.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1098216

Of course I understand it is hard for you to see correctly with the blinders on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1098217
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1098216

Of course I understand it is hard for you to see correctly with the blinders on.
    Sorry, I get used to all the benefits of living way up here. I need to realize not everyone is as fortunate when it comes to certain things. (not worrying about what happens if I get sick/hurt, being one of them)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast