Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

What We'd Lose if We Had to Buy Only American

Legions of patriotic Americans look for "made in USA" stickers before buying products, out of a desire to support the country's economy.

But what if we all were restricted to purchasing only those goods that were made in America?

Our homes would be stripped virtually bare of........
    http://money.msn.com/how-to-budget/what-if-you-had-to-buy-american.aspx?gt1=33029

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: What We'd Lose if We Had to Buy Only American

your house would be made of shitty non-Canadian lumber

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "BadlandsVikings" #1098103
    Legions of patriotic Americans look for "made in USA" stickers before buying products, out of a desire to support the country's economy.

But what if we all were restricted to purchasing only those goods that were made in America?

http://money.msn.com/how-to-budget/what-if-you-had-to-buy-american.aspx?gt1=33029
    So many elements were left out of that article so that the author could write a pro-import piece...

The problem we face is that the cost of living here is much higher than in China, India, or Taiwan. Those places also don't have things like US taxes, FICA, EPA, or OSHA. Put that all together, and the companies manufacturing over there are paying a LOT less for labor...and pocketing it all as pure profit.

The author tried to argue that, "There's no question that U.S. manufacturers employ far fewer people now -- about 11.7 million in April -- than when the sector peaked at 19.6 million workers in 1979. But the decline in jobs is largely due to technological advances that have reduced the number of workers needed to run factories, Perry and Fisher pointed out.", but I dispute that. General Motors shipped most of it's jobs from Janesville to Silao, Mexico. General Electric reduced it's US workforce by 5000 jobs...but increased it's overseas workforce by - you guessed it - 5000 jobs.

While technological improvements have played a part, they didn't administer the killing blow that NAFTA did.

The truth is, the "Free Trade" agreements only benefit the manufacturers. If I can ship my products anywhere, without tarrifs or fees, then it makes financial sense to go where the manufacturing COSTS are cheapest...and that ain't here.

There are reasons why 95% of the wealth in America is in 3% of the hands...after all, how many $10,000-per-plate fund raisers have YOU gone to? Between big business, big oil, and big finance, we're screwed.

Caine

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1098124
    Quote Originally Posted by "BadlandsVikings" #1098103

So many elements were left out of that article so that the author could write a pro-import piece...

The problem we face is that the cost of living here is much higher than in China, India, or Taiwan. Those places also don't have things like US taxes, FICA, EPA, or OSHA. Put that all together, and the companies manufacturing over there are paying a LOT less for labor...and pocketing it all as pure profit.

The author tried to argue that, "There's no question that U.S. manufacturers employ far fewer people now -- about 11.7 million in April -- than when the sector peaked at 19.6 million workers in 1979. But the decline in jobs is largely due to technological advances that have reduced the number of workers needed to run factories, Perry and Fisher pointed out.", but I dispute that. General Motors shipped most of it's jobs from Janesville to Silao, Mexico. General Electric reduced it's US workforce by 5000 jobs...but increased it's overseas workforce by - you guessed it - 5000 jobs.

While technological improvements have played a part, they didn't administer the killing blow that NAFTA did.

The truth is, the "Free Trade" agreements only benefit the manufacturers. If I can ship my products anywhere, without tarrifs or fees, then it makes financial sense to go where the manufacturing COSTS are cheapest...and that ain't here.

There are reasons why 95% of the wealth in America is in 3% of the hands...after all, how many $10,000-per-plate fund raisers have YOU gone to? Between big business, big oil, and big finance, we're screwed.

Caine
    +1 well said Caine
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1098120
    They wouldn't have hockey either.
    We're bringing purple back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1098135
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1098120
    They wouldn't have hockey either.
    That's fine. Send em back up here where they belong. Quebec City really wants their team back. Hamilton, Saskatoon, Regina. I bet all those cities could support pro hockey.

Or put the NHL back to an 8 team league.

Montreal, Quebec, Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edminton, Vancouver and Hamilton. Basically, same teams the CFL has, except sub Regina for Quebec city.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

We'd lose 90% of the 7/11's in the country along with half the gas stations and most of the liquer stores.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1098161
    We'd lose 90% of the 7/11's in the country along with half the gas stations and most of the liquer stores.
    You wouldn't be going on any cruises. Most of them are registered in third world countries with relaxed labour laws.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

I think it's safe to say that if we could only buy American, America would start making those things we want and need, though they may cost more. Some things like oil and diamonds would have to imported, or a substitute used.

To say buying USA hurts the USA economy is silly. Maybe it slightly hurts the world economy, but certainly not the US economy.

I think it's telling though that the US still leads the world in manufacturing. Especially considering China and India each have 4 times the population.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

You Canadians can have all of your stuff back except for Tim Horton's.

:lol:

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast