Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456 14 ... LastLast
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: What is a true fan?

Most bandwagon fans are from the area the team is from, but had no interest in football until their team started winning. Those for me are worse than fans who at least have some football knowledge.

Example #1: This summer I run into someone who I think was a Packer fan. I say I think because I was wearing a viking jersey, and the conversation went like thist:
    Idiot - Hey, nice Jersey
    Me - Thanks
    Idiot - My DAD is a Packer fan. Brett Farve is great.
    Me - Wait, so are you a Packer fan?
    Idiot - Brett Farve and Ahamn Green are going to take the Packers all the way! The Vikings don't have a chance.
    Me- You're an idiot. Nice to meet you.

Example #2: My friend comes back from the Summer and says, "Hey, I got a Moss Jersey in the mail! He is going to look sick in black and silver."
    Me -"Yeah, too bad you guys have no defense at all."
    Him - "It doesn't matter, our offense will be amazing!"
    At this point I should have told him anybody who watches football and has seen the Vikings would know he was wrong, but laughing in his face seemed like a better idea.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    lmao, I agree about rating a fan, I always get a kick out of that. I think the definition is getting hashed out though.

What if your favorite team changes venues? How many are fans of the LA Lakers....or did you jump ship and root for the Timberwolves?

The Lakers moved from Minnesota in the 1950's, most of the people that remember them actually playing here are in there 70's, 80's or 90's. And if they have changed teams it has been 50 years since they moved!
    So what you're saying is that it's ok to change teams if the team moves? What is the statute of limitations on your team? I guess it's ok to be a Wild fan and not a North Stars fan because it happened a while back. [size=9px](this isn't targeted at you....just wondering).[/size]

If a team moves from a city where the fans supported the team (like the Northstars) because the owner was accused of fondling his female workers, and then he runs out of town instead of selling the team!.

Then the fans have a right to decided if they still want to root for them or if they root for the team that replaced them, it is OK in my book.

In-fact, if a team leaves a city the fans in my opinion are not obligated to root for that team, because the team ran out on them. Like what happened in Cleveland, I do not blame the fans for not rooting for the Ravens!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

14 hours oneway, really should have only been 13, though. Got a little off-track on the way up there, but in total 27 hours on the road for one weekend, the road time was Friday and Monday, though.

The 'true fan' thing is all a matter of opinion, personal preference, etc. If you have any doubt within yourself about your being a true fan, then you are likely not a true fan. I know that I'm a true fan, regardless of what anyone else may say. I also leave Sunday gamedays open, unless there's an emergency or something of extremely high importance, but I'll likely try to get out of it first.

My g/f hates when they lose, because I'm usually in a bad mood for a couple hours afterward. I'm usually okay by the next day, though. Although the 2000 and 1998 NFC Champ Games I was probably in a bad mood for a couple weeks afterward.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

i guess it is different if your team moves. if any of my teams moved for reasons like the north stars, i would just be too mad to even watch the sport or cheer for anyone. until the vikigns actually have their new stadium built, they might move. and i would stick with them if they moved because i dont live in the city. but if my oilers(NHL) moved, i would probley just end my life right there.
    We're bringing purple back.

Del Rio Guest

I used to get so pissed when they would lose.

Sadly I don't really get mad over that anymore.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

"JDogg926" wrote:
    ....might it be someone who drives 14 hours just to help root their team on to their first victory? Someone's who's mood is, unfortunately, affected by the outcome of their team's game that day, or their season that year? Someone who refuses to watch anything else while their game is on TV? Someone who gets DirecTV for the sole reason of watching their favorite team? Someone who has enough team clothing, memorabilia, etc. to decorate an entire room and/or show their support through their wardrobe for 2 straight weeks, w/o wearing something twice? Someone who knows basically every player on the roster's name and jersey #? Someone who smiles any time they see a logo or something representative of their team no matter what it is or where they are?
    Most of that paragraph sounds like me, except for the whole 14 hour drive (it's only 5) and the directTV (I can't afford it, yet). Or how about adding "someone who personalizes their license plate in enemy territory and they ain't scared of no one!"

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

"JDogg926" wrote:
    ....might it be someone who drives 14 hours just to help root their team on to their first victory? Someone's who's mood is, unfortunately, affected by the outcome of their team's game that day, or their season that year? Someone who refuses to watch anything else while their game is on TV? Someone who gets DirecTV for the sole reason of watching their favorite team? Someone who has enough team clothing, memorabilia, etc. to decorate an entire room and/or show their support through their wardrobe for 2 straight weeks, w/o wearing something twice? Someone who knows basically every player on the roster's name and jersey #? Someone who smiles any time they see a logo or something representative of their team no matter what it is or where they are?
    Most of that paragraph sounds like me, except for the whole 14 hour drive (it's only 5) and the directTV (I can't afford it, yet). Or how about adding "someone who personalizes their license plate for their team in enemy territory and they ain't scared of no one!"

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

i used to kick and scream and throw things at the tv when things went wrong. i learned to stop doing that.
    We're bringing purple back.

I still do that...sometimes. Not so much kick things, but I break remotes...sometimes and yell quite a bit.

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

You yell? Nah, no way, get outttaaa here..! well, you normally end your postings with an exclamation point.. that's actually a dead giveaway.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456 14 ... LastLast