Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Re: What is a true fan?

lmao, I agree about rating a fan, I always get a kick out of that. I think the definition is getting hashed out though.

What if your favorite team changes venues? How many are fans of the LA Lakers....or did you jump ship and root for the Timberwolves?

I think a True fan is someone who stays with a team through the rough and tough times. Cheers for them day in and day out. They pretty much have the depth chart memorized. They act like they are that teams gm/ head coach. They are the people that needs to know what is happening with there team that day.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    lmao, I agree about rating a fan, I always get a kick out of that. I think the definition is getting hashed out though.

What if your favorite team changes venues? How many are fans of the LA Lakers....or did you jump ship and root for the Timberwolves?

The Lakers moved from Minnesota in the 1950's, most of the people that remember them actually playing here are in there 70's, 80's or 90's. And if they have changed teams it has been 50 years since they moved!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

I think we can all agree on a general defintion of "someone who stands by their team through good and bad."

What is much harder to define is when a person is standing by his team. Some fans are always looking on the bright side, some fans criticize in bad times but do it constructively and still support the players, some fans will outright bash the team, asking for immediate trades or benchings.

I personally do not think the last type of fan is anything more than a bandwagoner. A fan does not cheer one game, then ask for the star player to be benched the next, only to support him again when he returns to form. That is not standing by your team at all. I'm not talking about mid-game depression, thats fine, even expected. Demanding Brad Johnson start the next game is not.

Yes, there are more extreme cases, you could jump ship and start cheering for the Buccaneers. Still, for that one game you lost all hope and abandoned the team. That is not what a fan does.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

I think the concept of a "true fan" is a question that everyone has to answer to themselves...sorta like a religion...it's between you and "your team". I have to say that I like other teams...and dislike others...it makes football more enjoyable if you can watch a game and know that you want one team to win. I wouldn't buy jerseys or hats of the other team, but I do enjoy them (the look, don't touch policy). Most of my second favorite teams I like because of their ties to the Vikings. I like Tony Dungy a lot...I want his teams to do well (as long as it doesn't interfer with the Vikies). I also like Jack Del Rio's Jacksonville...don't ask me why, but I just really don't like Billick. Sometimes I'll cheer for a team because I like a player. I don't think this makes me less of a fan, it just makes me more of a fan of the game.

Prophet Guest

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

The Lakers moved from Minnesota in the 1950's, most of the people that remember them actually playing here are in there 70's, 80's or 90's. And if they have changed teams it has been 50 years since they moved!
    So what you're saying is that it's ok to change teams if the team moves? What is the statute of limitations on your team? I guess it's ok to be a Wild fan and not a North Stars fan because it happened a while back. [size=9px](this isn't targeted at you....just wondering).[/size]

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

....might it be someone who drives 14 hours just to help root their team on to their first victory? Someone's who's mood is, unfortunately, affected by the outcome of their team's game that day, or their season that year? Someone who refuses to watch anything else while their game is on TV? Someone who gets DirecTV for the sole reason of watching their favorite team? Someone who has enough team clothing, memorabilia, etc. to decorate an entire room and/or show their support through their wardrobe for 2 straight weeks, w/o wearing something twice? Someone who knows basically every player on the roster's name and jersey #? Someone who smiles any time they see a logo or something representative of their team no matter what it is or where they are?
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

Del Rio Guest

When I said what I did about liking teams, I meant having more then one Favorite team, sort of like spreading out your emotional investment so as you never get burned lol.

I know a few guys like this, and even that is fine, just don't try to talk shit when one of your 23 favorite football teams does good lol.

"JDogg926" wrote:
    ....might it be someone who drives 14 hours just to help root their team on to their first victory? Someone's who's mood is, unfortunately, affected by the outcome of their team's game that day, or their season that year? Someone who refuses to watch anything else while their game is on TV? Someone who gets DirecTV for the sole reason of watching their favorite team? Someone who has enough team clothing, memorabilia, etc. to decorate an entire room and/or show their support through their wardrobe for 2 straight weeks, w/o wearing something twice? Someone who knows basically every player on the roster's name and jersey #? Someone who smiles any time they see a logo or something representative of their team no matter what it is or where they are?
    The 14 hours...that's there and back right? If so, I'm a fan, but if not, Atlanta was only 8 hours from Raleigh.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

sports is like a religion to some people. for me it is at least. when my team wins, my week goes good. when my team loses, watch out because i am going to be mad for the rest of the week until we play again. i be sure not to plan anything but watch the game on game days. i do the same things before the game begins. if a lucky charm stops working, i have tons of other things to try for next week.

"JDogg926" wrote:
    sounds pretty much right on the money. but i dont think you have to do all of that to be called a true fan. most of those things are taking it to the extreme.
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast