Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

what idiots!!?!?!?

This is amazing!
    This is a Christmas fesitval, there is a nativity scene, and there are brochures and other information about the birth of Christ.
    This is a city that is frozen by political correctness.
    What would you expect to see at a Christmas festival but a movie about it.
    And they were just going to show a little clip for advertising for that movie.
    What a bunch of anal retentive chicken hearts!!
    If non Christians are offended then don't go, it is a Christmas festival.
    If I was offended by muslim beliefs then guess what I wouldn't go to the festival.
    Because I would ASSUME THAT THRERE WOULD BE MUSLIM RELATED MATERIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not that it bothers me, but I have the freedom to NOT ATTEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHICAGO
    —
    A public Christmas festival is no place for the Christmas story, the city says. Officials have asked organizers of a downtown Christmas festival, the German Christkindlmarket, to reconsider using a movie studio as a sponsor because it is worried ads for its film "The Nativity Story" might offend non-Christians.
    New Line Cinema, which said it was dropped, had planned to play a loop of the new film on televisions at the event. The decision had both the studio and a prominent Christian group shaking their heads.
    "The last time I checked, the first six letters of Christmas still spell out Christ," said Paul Braoudakis, spokesman for the Barrington, Ill.-based Willow Creek Association, a group of more than 11,000 churches of various denominations. "It's tantamount to celebrating Lincoln's birthday without talking about Abraham Lincoln."
    He also said that there is a nativity scene in Daley Plaza — and that some vendors at the festival sell items related to the nativity.
    The city does not want to appear to endorse one religion over another, said Cindy Gatziolis, a spokeswoman for the Mayor's Office of Special Events. She acknowledged there is a nativity scene, but also said there will be representations of other faiths, including a Jewish menorah, all put up by private groups. She stressed that the city did not order organizers to drop the studio as a sponsor.
    "Our guidance was that this very prominently placed advertisement would not only be insensitive to the many people of different faiths who come to enjoy the market for its food and unique gifts, but also it would be contrary to acceptable advertising standards suggested to the many festivals holding events on Daley Plaza," Jim Law, executive director of the office, said in a statement.
    Officials with the German American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest, which has organized the event for several years, did not immediately return calls for comment. The festival started Thursday.
    An executive vice president with New Line Cinema, Christina Kounelias, said the studio's plan to spend $12,000 in Chicago was part of an advertising campaign around the country. Kounelias said that as far as she knew, the Chicago festival was the only instance where the studio was turned down.
    Kounelias said she finds it hard to believe that non-Christians who attended something called Christkindlmarket would be surprised or offended by the presence of posters, brochures and other advertisements of the movie.
    "One would assume that if (people) were to go to Christkindlmarket, they'd know it is about Christmas," she said.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: what idiots!!?!?!?

Wow, society is way to politically correct nowadays. Not to mention that what the city did is unconstitutional.

Allowing a Christmas festival with brochures about Jesus Christ doest not entangle the government with religion in any way. While preventing people from showing movies/brochures/etc is unconstitutional because its prohibits the free exercise of religion.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" Amendment I of the Bill of Rights

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Sigh.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.
    Embracing diversity means the inclusion of all cultures, not the exclusion of any.
    People are so concerned about being politically correct that they would rather see aworld free of any belief system.

Christmas is a Christian holiday.
    There is absolutely no reason why Christians should be prohibited from exhibiting their views during a Christmas festival.

Absolutely stupid on the part of the city.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Del Rio Guest

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    This is amazing!
    This is a Christmas fesitval, there is a nativity scene, and there are brochures and other information about the birth of Christ.
    This is a city that is frozen by political correctness.
    What would you expect to see at a Christmas festival but a movie about it.
    And they were just going to show a little clip for advertising for that movie.
    What a bunch of anal retentive chicken hearts!!
    If non Christians are offended then don't go, it is a Christmas festival.
    If I was offended by muslim beliefs then guess what I wouldn't go to the festival.
    Because I would ASSUME THAT THRERE WOULD BE MUSLIM RELATED MATERIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not that it bothers me, but I have the freedom to NOT ATTEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHICAGO
    —
    A public Christmas festival is no place for the Christmas story, the city says. Officials have asked organizers of a downtown Christmas festival, the German Christkindlmarket, to reconsider using a movie studio as a sponsor because it is worried ads for its film "The Nativity Story" might offend non-Christians.
    New Line Cinema, which said it was dropped, had planned to play a loop of the new film on televisions at the event. The decision had both the studio and a prominent Christian group shaking their heads.
    "The last time I checked, the first six letters of Christmas still spell out Christ," said Paul Braoudakis, spokesman for the Barrington, Ill.-based Willow Creek Association, a group of more than 11,000 churches of various denominations. "It's tantamount to celebrating Lincoln's birthday without talking about Abraham Lincoln."
    He also said that there is a nativity scene in Daley Plaza — and that some vendors at the festival sell items related to the nativity.
    The city does not want to appear to endorse one religion over another, said Cindy Gatziolis, a spokeswoman for the Mayor's Office of Special Events. She acknowledged there is a nativity scene, but also said there will be representations of other faiths, including a Jewish menorah, all put up by private groups. She stressed that the city did not order organizers to drop the studio as a sponsor.
    "Our guidance was that this very prominently placed advertisement would not only be insensitive to the many people of different faiths who come to enjoy the market for its food and unique gifts, but also it would be contrary to acceptable advertising standards suggested to the many festivals holding events on Daley Plaza," Jim Law, executive director of the office, said in a statement.
    Officials with the German American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest, which has organized the event for several years, did not immediately return calls for comment. The festival started Thursday.
    An executive vice president with New Line Cinema, Christina Kounelias, said the studio's plan to spend $12,000 in Chicago was part of an advertising campaign around the country. Kounelias said that as far as she knew, the Chicago festival was the only instance where the studio was turned down.
    Kounelias said she finds it hard to believe that non-Christians who attended something called Christkindlmarket would be surprised or offended by the presence of posters, brochures and other advertisements of the movie.
    "One would assume that if (people) were to go to Christkindlmarket, they'd know it is about Christmas," she said.
    Well in all fairness this Chrismas Festival seems to be about more then just Chirsmas. It looks like there will be displays of many different religions there to celebrate. Seems like the City did not intend for this to be strictly a christian deal and maybe the idea of a big name company bringing in a large budget film clip as a sponsor would overshadow what they were trying to do.

The city does not want to appear to endorse one religion over another, said Cindy Gatziolis, a spokeswoman for the Mayor's Office of Special Events. She acknowledged there is a nativity scene, but also said there will be representations of other faiths, including a Jewish menorah, all put up by private groups

If this was strictly a christian deal I could see it. It seems that it isn't nor is it intended to be.

Looks like the city wanted a holiday celebration for all cultures to attend. I just can't get really upset about this.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

You know the thing that kills me about this, is Christmas is a Christian holiday.
    Other religions celebrate it as a reason to put up a tree and give presents.
    If they feel offended by the religious implications behind the holiday then they should ignore it all together.

Del Rio Guest

I think if anyone is to blame it is the city. They should have just had a holiday festival if they wanted everyone to attend even so I think Christmas has become more pop culture much like Halloween, a pagan ritual which now in America has absolutely nothing to do with it's origin.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Exactly... don't call it a Christmas celebration... for fear of offending people.
    This really irks me.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Which is why it is better to just not go...thereby dooming the stupid PC celebration...let all the non-Christians go.
    Christians are better served staying home with their loved ones and celebrating the TRUE meaning of Christmas!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Del" wrote:
    If this was strictly a christian deal I could see it. It seems that it isn't nor is it intended to be.

Looks like the city wanted a holiday celebration for all cultures to attend. I just can't get really upset about this.
    That's fine, but they are basically saying that having Christian themes is OK, as long as it isn't toooo Christian.
    :
    If they want it to be enjoyed be all cultures, instead of "encouraging" one company not to display something, they should encourage other cultures to promote their own displays.

I have a friend who is Jewish, and he thinks it is funny when governments try to be politically correct and make Hanukkah into something bigger than it is the the Jewish community.
    Hanukkah is actually a fairly minor festival celebrating the rededication of the Temple of Jerusalem.
    It only gets as much attention as it does because of its proximity in date to Christmas.

The Muslim religious observances in the month of Ramadan is actually much closer in reverence to the Christian observation of Christmas, but this year it fell in late September through late October, so that wouldn't be a focus right now.

Kwanzaa is a cultural, non-religious celebration, and it does not exclude Christmas by any means.
    I know several people who celebrate both.

And on a side note, both the Jewish and Muslim religions acknowledge the birth of Jesus, they just regard him as a teacher and not divine.
    So why would a movie about his birth offend them?

Other than Festivus I can't figure out what cultural holiday is being celebrated by someone who would be offended by a Christmas movie.
    This is nothing other than an example of a government office overreacting and trying too hard to be 100% politically correct.

What's next?
    Maybe they won't allow observance of Breast Cancer Awareness month because it excludes one of the sexes : .
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

[img width=400 height=258]http://www.christkindlmarket.com/images/CKM%202006%20card%20front.jpg[/img]
    http://www.christkindlmarket.com/gallery.htm

It's not a Christmas Fesitval. It's a marketplace. It's located in Daley Plaza (where the famous Picasso sculpture is), which is right by state street, which is where everyone goes to shop. They have some vendors that sell some food and gift items, and they have a tent where you can get mulled wine. It's there to give the holliday shoppers, not all of which are Christian, another place to shop once they're done in [s]Marshall Field's[/s] Macy's.

If it were really a Christmas Festival, I'd be upset about this, but it's not. It's just another place to go buy stuff. So really, it's more a celebration of the secular side of the hollidays than anything else. There are better things to get up in arms about.

Now mind you, the brats and saurkraut, and the mulled wine I had there last year were pretty good, so maybe I'm a bit biased.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast