Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: what was hs football like for you if you played

"Schutz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I grew up in a small town in Northern MN in a school district that played 9 Man Football because most schools were so small it was hard to field a full team.

I played both sides of the ball, as most of us did at RB and S.
    I also returned KO and Punts.
    Hated punt returns by the way.
    gol 'darnit you can get layed out...... ;D

As I've said on here before, I wasn't very good and only made the team because the coach needed bodies.

My biggest dream was to at least get good enough to play at the next level, but alas, I wound up joining the service as, again, my Dads gene pool didn't include athleticism.

Kindof why I get so pissed at the guys who have the god given talent to play at the highest level and yet throw it all away for something stupid like drugs, booze, etc.

:'(

By the way, I also played Baseball, Hockey, Basketball and ran the 2 mile, 1 mile, and 880 leg of our distance relay team in track.

I could run forever my friends.
    I hate 9 man football.
    We had to play against a couple nine man teams in highschool and we'd have to lose a couple guys and usually did really bad.
    It wasn't any fun for us either. Again, I could run forever, but I was damn tired as I was on the field all the time.

By the way, I would strap it on right now if the coach called.
    Course I wouldn't stay on the field very long.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I grew up in a small town in Northern MN in a school district that played 9 Man Football because most schools were so small it was hard to field a full team.

As I've said on here before, I wasn't very good and only made the team because the coach needed bodies.

My biggest dream was to at least get good enough to play at the next level, but alas, I wound up joining the service as, again, my Dads gene pool didn't include athleticism.

Kindof why I get so pissed at the guys who have the god given talent to play at the highest level and yet throw it all away for something stupid like drugs, booze, etc.

By the way, I also played Baseball, Hockey, Basketball and ran the 2 mile, 1 mile, and 880 leg of our distance relay team in track.

I hate 9 man football.
    We had to play against a couple nine man teams in highschool and we'd have to lose a couple guys and usually did really bad.
    It wasn't any fun for us either. Again, I could run forever, but I was damn tired as I was on the field all the time.

;D
    I didn't realize the waterboys ran that much Marr. Or was it becaus eyou were to busy running after the cheerleaders?

"Garland" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I hate 9 man football.
    It wasn't any fun for us either. Again, I could run forever, but I was gol 'darnit tired as I was on the field all the time.

;D
    I didn't realize the waterboys ran that much Marr. Or was it becaus eyou were to busy running after the cheerleaders?
    LOL, you crack me up my friend. On a good team I probably wouldn't have been good enough to even be the waterboy.

One thing I didn't mention, but I was also our High Schools First Chair, First Trumpet/Coronet.
    I also played in the marching band at half time of football games and basketball games.

Pretty funny watching a kid march around in his uniform.
    A girl named Chris was our second chair.
    She hated it during basketball games.
    She said I smelled........ ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"vikingivan" wrote:
    I played for tackle and MLB for RHS.
    Randolph, Mn.
    We were class C, which was the small schools, but still 11 man.
    We weren't expected to do much my senior season.
    Because we only had two returning starters, myself and my buddy "Phil".
    Needless, to say we were co-captains our senior years.
    But, we had a great team chemistry, and a great coach.
    We finished the regular season 9-0.
    We then defeated Henderson in a playoff game, before falling to Harmony in the state playoffs.
    The crowds we got for the games were unbelievable for such a small town, population 350.
    For the playoff games there were over 4,000 people in attendance.

We played schools such as, Claremont, Elgin-Millville, Mazeppa, Morristown, Shattuck, Concordia Academy, St Croix Lutheran, and Minnesota School for the Deaf, MSD.
    They always got away with late hits.

LOL.
    It would suck to be the opposing QB.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I hate 9 man football.
    It wasn't any fun for us either. Again, I could run forever, but I was gol 'darnit tired as I was on the field all the time.

;D
    LOL, you crack me up my friend. On a good team I probably wouldn't have been good enough to even be the waterboy.

One thing I didn't mention, but I was also our High Schools First Chair, First Trumpet/Coronet.
    I also played in the marching band at half time of football games and basketball games.

Pretty funny watching a kid march around in his uniform.
    A girl named Chris was our second chair.
    She hated it during basketball games.
    She said I smelled........ ;D
    Blame it on the Lutefisk ;D

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:

Very similar backgrounds, from your pictures, looks like you are still in playing shape
    ;D

I played for small class C 11-man team.
    Our team was very successful throughout the 70's and 80's.
    1 loss seasons were bad year's for us.
    Very small town, but everybody seemed to try out for the team (and almost everyone made the team).
    I was in a class of 49, and I think we had 18 people from our class on the team.
    I primarily played corner and RB.
    I played MLB one year for JV which I loved.
    Has to be the best position on defense.
    I was also one of the headhunter's on kickoffs which was a blast as well.
    I really enjoyed playing the game, got pissed whenever I got taken out for whatever reason.

I was also a long distance guy in track..
    Small team so we had to enter a lot of events.
    My best events were the 2 mile and mile, but also rran the 440 on the mile relay and long jump (yea really small team).

Hockey in my younger years when I lived in the Mpls area, ranks right up there with football as one of the sports I enjoyed the most.

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Very similar backgrounds, from your pictures, looks like you are still in playing shape
    ;D

I played for small class C 11-man team.
    Our team was very successful throughout the 70's and 80's.
    1 loss seasons were bad year's for us.
    Very small town, but everybody seemed to try out for the team (and almost everyone made the team).
    I was in a class of 49, and I think we had 18 people from our class on the team.

I primarily played corner and RB.
    I played MLB one year for JV which I loved.
    Has to be the best position on defense.
    I was also one of the headhunter's on kickoffs which was a blast as well.
    I really enjoyed playing the game, got pissed whenever I got taken out for whatever reason.

I was also a long distance guy in track..
    Small team so we had to enter a lot of events.
    My best events were the 2 mile and mile, but also rran the 440 on the mile relay and long jump (yea really small team).

Hockey in my younger years when I lived in the Mpls area, ranks right up there with football as one of the sports I enjoyed the most.
    Thanks for the comment but I think the camera's aren't showing the real/whole me.......

I am about 235/5'9".
    Still pretty solid but have a good beer gut working...... Its bought and paid for by the way......;D ;D ;D

Formo is offline Team Alumni

"erik5032" wrote:
    I didn't feel like I wasted my Highschool football experience, because I was good enough to play college ball ( but wasn't able to with the injury) does anyone wish they could go back and either work harder, maybe stand up to the coach, I mean I do... I wasn't supposed to play in the last game of the season, but the coach told me that he wanted me out there. I had a bad feeling about it... I should have told him no
    Ohhh, I have many regrets.
    One was when I started JV both my junior and senior year, I played with reckless abandon.
    I guess that's because I've been so used to playing against guys that were 1-2 years older than me, while I was a late bloomer in the growth spurt department.
    So when I finally was playing against kids my own age/size (well..
    almost.
    lol), I had a heck of a time.
    I remember laying out as hard as I could for a crack block my junior year on the opposing teams biggest defender.
    I think we both got knocked out....
    If I only played like that when I played on varsity...
    =/
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

YogidAbEAR is offline Star Spokesman

my memories of HS football? 3 downs, bigger field, 12 players, lots of bad cliches our coach used to inspire us, best times of my life, worst times of my life, great friendships, tough fights, incredibly hot and awkward equipment, roadtrips, reckless abandon to my personal health. horrific summer workouts, horrific winter workouts, immense pride, immense disappointment, stories i'll be telling for the rest of my life, scars i'll be showing for the rest of my life, broken bones, concussions, knee injuries, laying someone out, making interceptions, annual CFL trips, annual rookie parties, parties

digital420 is online now Team Alumni

i tried out once, made the team as back up qb, and cb. the coaches liked my aggressiveness, and liked that i had balance and agility. he made one mistake..

he said.. "you'll have to drop hockey"

i looked at him, shook his hand and said. "Thanks for letting me be out here." but i choose hockey.

played with the football guys lots of backyard scrimmidges. usually was qb-wr/cb-saftey

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345