Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Frostbite is offline Coach

What did/does your Dad/Parent do for a living?

My folks are both gone now but I think about my Dad every time I see an older cartoon show. Dad was an Animation Artist. He started drawing when he was a kid and never grew out of it. His first gig was drawing background art for Walt Disney in 1955, and later went to work for William Hanna and Joseph Barbera as a principal artist in 1963.
    He also worked on the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show correcting errors produced on the orginal cells, in pre-production in 1961 and 1962.

Dad passed away in 1998 but left behind a great legacy of true hand drawn animation....an almost lost art now. He passed on to me three large photo albums containing original art cells from some of the shows he worked on. I hope to pass these along to my kids when I am gone. One of Dads favorite projects at Hanna Barbera was Johnny Quest. One of the few Prime Time cartoon productions ever made for Television it had a very large appeal to a wide audience, but ultimately could not compete with other Prime Time network shows of that time. Perhaps some of you remember that show?

I never thought about hard work until I saw my Dad often bring artwork home to complete...sometimes working all night to make a production deadline. He always had a smile to offer and a kind word, even when I was out of bed, trying to get into what he needed to finish. I can't even draw a stick figure....go figure? In the mid to late seventies when computer art was beginning, many artists were laid off and others had to adapt or look for other work. It was quite a strain on Dad trying to stay excited about drawing, which was what he felt made animation so fun. He finally did make the adaptation but remained in the trade only a few years after this, retiring in 1981. He made a lot friends along the way. Walt Disney, Jack Kirby, Joseph Barbera, William Hanna, Joe Harris, Bill Waterson, Charles Shultz, Gary Larson, and several others. He always said he was blessed with a tallent. He often tried to help others pursue there art tallents as a mentor for students working toward animation art careers.

Some of you may have wondered about the Icon art on my posts, and the signature question, "where is frostbite falls Minnesota?" This of course is a referrence to the Rocky and Bullwinkle show. This fictional city was based on International Falls Minnesota. I lost a toe to Frostbite climbing Mt Hood, in Oregon, in 1980 (I went to college there)....Thus the name Frostbite.

So...if it's not to personal....let me know something about your Dad/Parent...etc. How you remember them?...What they taught you? An interesting story about them to share? etc.
    Names are not important...helps keep everything in more general terms.

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: What did/does your Dad/Parent do for a living?

my dad just recently retired from US Customs/department of homeland security, and now he teaches at their training academy in Georgia..he grew up in noyes, minnesota, so thats how i became a twins/vikings fan..he taught me everything i know about sports, and im forever grateful that he got me involved in sports at a young age because so much of my life up to this point has revolved around sports..through sports ive experienced so many great moments, and met so many of my closest friends, and i owe that all to my dad

my mom was a medical assitant for years, but now stays home with the dog and cats and looks after the house..she is the one that drove me to alot of hockey games and early morning practices when my dad was working or couldnt make it

looking back on things, i realized that my parents have done everything they can to give my sister and i the life they never had at times when they were younger, and i really hope that one day i find a way to express how thankful i am
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

"Frostbite" wrote:
    Dad was an Animation Artist. He started drawing when he was a kid and never grew out of it. His first gig was drawing background art for Walt Disney in 1955, and later went to work for William Hanna and Joseph Barbera as a principal artist in 1963.

now THAT is awesome..its great that he got to do something he obviously loved for so long and be so successful with it

its a damn shame kids today will never get to see great cartoons like that..today its all this asian anime crap, whereas even when i was growing up in the late 80's and 90's, rocky & bullwinkle was still on tv all the time..its too bad kids today need to watch something semi-violent rather than watching the classic cartoons that suddenly seemed to have vanished for some reason
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Frostbite is offline Coach

Very Cool Olson...Isn't it interesting that we seldom remember to thank our parents for helping us so much along the way? Mine are gone but I did get the chance many times to say thanks. They also lived long enough to see me making my own life, and I know that they both saw that as thanks in it's own way.

Both of your folks are still alive so don't hesitate to tell them both how much you apprecaite them. Thanks for sharing Olson!

Hand Drawn Animation Art is still alive in Comics and other media forms....but it's almost dead. In a way computers have added a lot to art, but I agree with you that the older animation was way better. The reason you rarely see the pre-1970 Cartoons anymore is because many are considered to be offensive/racially or gender incensitive, or to violent. At least, that is what I was told by some of Dads friends.

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

man i loved Johnny Quest!!!
    was one of my all time fav cartoons growing up!!

well. my old man was unique in his own way. He grew up in SSP, moved to duluth with my mom. There he finished off at UMD after returning from Viatnam and touring the states a bit.
    He was was a botony major, and worked as a forest ranger for many years up in the north shore and northern minnesota.
    btw.. he was.. is.. and shall always be a hippie!!

I remember him sitting on the ice rinks with me in the car (warming up after practice) and him flooding the rinks, or building a back yard rink for me to practice on my own on.
    I remember him trying to get me into football, but i was a bit undersized, faster then most of the kids, but undersized.

after i was 8. my parents divorced, and he moved to MPLS again. He's been living the 6am - 4 pm sched for so many years i don't think he could break it if he wanted to. Mostly he was in the 15 years working for a company making custom made wood doors, interior/exterior for many of the big restaurants and private clients.

now he's retired.. well after 2 heart attacks told him to slow down.. and enjoying the labor of his land.. he's back in the botony aspect of things making all kinds of small plant projects around.

(btw he was VERY good with one of his projects many many years ago.. exctremly smiley!!!)

now though he's spending more and more time on his land up north. just off the Knife river i believe. got to see it once, but every time i call there he's getting this, or that so he can clear some area for a new landscaping project.
    he might not gt paid as much these days, but i see more fun in his mood now then ever before.

ohh.. yeah. and it was dad that got me into the Stars/Vikes/Twins/UMD Bulldogs
    all the jersey's and gaer i have marking each of those teams came from him!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

"Frostbite" wrote:
    Very Cool Olson...Isn't it interesting that we seldom remember to thank our parents for helping us so much along the way? Mine are gone but I did get the chance many times to say thanks. They also lived long enough to see me making my own life, and I know that they both saw that as thanks in it's own way.

Both of your folks are still alive so don't hesitate to tell them both how much you apprecaite them. Thanks for sharing Olson!

Hand Drawn Animation Art is still alive in Comics and other media forms....but it's almost dead. In a way computers have added a lot to art, but I agree with you that the older animation was way better. The reason you rarely see the pre-1970 Cartoons anymore is because many are considered to be offensive/racially or gender incensitive, or to violent. At least, that is what I was told by some of Dads friends.

Cheers!
    well its good that its still being used and preserved in some capacity, but its certainly a shame that people are too single minded and soft these days to appreciate that artwork..i grew up to these things, and watched these cartoons every single day when i was a little kid..now when i happen to see a little kid watching something, its always some goofy pikachu ninja garbage or something like that..that computer stuff isnt art at all..theres just no appreciation these days for the hard work and natural talent that went into cartoons and television in the early days..these days, any stiff with a computer could make a cartoon without any original ideas or talent of any kind

like i said before, i watched a ton of rocky & bullwinkle, so im a big fan of the stuff your dad worked on, and thats pretty neat

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

My dad was a skipper and had his own freight boat, it was about 90 meters long but after he has had an heart attack last year ( almost fatal ) he is unable to work. he is now busy trying to arrange that he still gets the OK to work again.

my mom is a nurse in the hospital here in Deventer
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Interesting story Frostbite, you will have to guard those drawings!
    I remember Johnny Quest, fun show.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Prophet" wrote:
    Interesting story Frostbite, you will have to guard those drawings!
    I remember Johnny Quest, fun show.
    I loved the old Johnny Quest. Doesn't Hadji drive taxi in NYC now?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

What a great idea for a thread.

My dad is a Custom Butcher.

He has one of the few custom meat shops left in the United States were you can have the Butcher come to the field and butcher the animal, bring it to his shop, process the meat the way you want it.

He specializes in all aspects of preparation to include specialty items such as smoked/cured sausages, hams, beef sticks etc.

Needless to say I grew up in that environment and still mess with preparing the animals I harvest during hunting seasons (i.e. Deer/Turkey/Beer) into the same types of products.

If you ever find yourself in Northome Mn, stop in and Say hi to Mal and Donna (My Parents).
    They always have some sort of specialty treat ready for a taste test.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast