Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vikesfan is offline Starter

Were the Vikings always supposed to be blue, not purple??

I was messing around on google a couple weeks ago, trying to find stuff on the Vikes new jerseys, and I came across an interesting couple of articles, that when put together, say that the Vikings team colors have always been registered with the NFL as blue and gold.

The below link states that the Vikings official color registration with the NFL is Pantone 269. I have posted the paragraph that states this.

http://vikings.scout.com/2/11656.html

About the Colors
    What exactly are the Vikings colors? Why don't the helmets match the color of the jerseys? Technically speaking, they are the same color. NFL Properties, the league's licensing arm, states " ... Pantone 269 (the official color registration number) is Viking Purple ... The gold is Pantone 1235." Even though the technical color used on the helmets and jersey's are the same, the colors don't exactly match because the material used to make the jerseys absorbs the dye color differently than the helmets. Unlike the old days when the old jerseys matched the helmets better.

The below link states that Pantone 269 is "blue." Also, the picture of the color Pantone 269 confirms this. Is states: "The colours are bordeaux red (Pantone 193) and dark blue (Pantone 269)."

http://users.ncrvnet.nl/mstol/goodrich.htm

Re: Were the Vikings always supposed to be blue, not purple?

They look purple to me.

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Were the Vikings always supposed to be blue, not purple??

Ok are they color blind? When did anyone ever question what the colors were?? I think everyone would associate the Vikings with the color purple. IMO I don't know how you can think otherwise.

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

It always looked purple to me. It was never the Blue People Eaters.

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    It always looked purple to me. It was never the Blue People Eaters.
    Haha exactly!

I think everybody is misinterpreting my initial post. I have 13 or 14 authentic Viking jerseys, dating back to the late 90's. I have a helmet, a shirt, etc. Everything is purple. I'm NOT questioning that they're purple. Here's the deal:

I was googeling something along the lines of "Vikings jerseys" right before their new ones came out. I was seeing what info I could find. I clicked on an article talking about the Vikes team history. It stated that their official color registration with the NFL was Pantone 269. I was bored, had nothing better to do, so I googled Pantone 269 to see the official color of our Vikes. I was expecting it to be purple. To my surprise, Pantone 269 is dark blue. It's even described as "blue" on a Pantone website. I'm not stating any personal opinion. I know they are purple, and always have been. However, I just found it interesting that they were registered with the NFL under a color that is actually blue.

"vikesfan" wrote:
    I think everybody is misinterpreting my initial post. I have 13 or 14 authentic Viking jerseys, dating back to the late 90's. I have a helmet, a shirt, etc. Everything is purple. I'm NOT questioning that they're purple. Here's the deal:

I was googeling something along the lines of "Vikings jerseys" right before their new ones came out. I was seeing what info I could find. I clicked on an article talking about the Vikes team history. It stated that their official color registration with the NFL was Pantone 269. I was bored, had nothing better to do, so I googled Pantone 269 to see the official color of our Vikes. I was expecting it to be purple. To my surprise, Pantone 269 is dark blue. It's even described as "blue" on a Pantone website. I'm not stating any personal opinion. I know they are purple, and always have been. However, I just found it interesting that they were registered with the NFL under a color that is actually blue.
    Don't worry we were just commenting on the article not directing it towards you, I know you were just posting an article. I was mainly talking about the article when I said they were color blind, not directing it towards you at all, sorry if it seemd that way.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

One fan's blue is another fan's purple!

Purple by any other name is STILL purple!

Purple REIGNS, Purple REIGNS!!!!

A color of the Purple, for the Purple and by the Purple!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"WBLVikeBabe" wrote:
    "vikesfan" wrote:

Don't worry we were just commenting on the article not directing it towards you, I know you were just posting an article. I was mainly talking about the article when I said they were color blind, not directing it towards you at all, sorry if it seemd that way.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't think you were directing it at me, but I wasn't quite sure, so I appreciate the clarification. But yeah, if they're not purple, I must be seriously color blind because every single jersey I have looks purple as purple could be, regardless of what lighting it's under, or any other factor. If someone told me they were actually blue, I think I'd be a little concerned what was wrong with me.

But to clarify a little more, no one in the articles is actually stating the Vikings are blue. I put two articles together to come up with this. One article simply states their official color - Pantone 269 - which the author actually calls "Viking purple" making no references to them being blue. But then I researched it and found that Pantone 269 was actually blue. No one said the Vikes were blue, but when reading the article and than actually researching the color Pantone 269, I was very surprised.

I think I already typed most of this earlier in this thread. Sorry. Started typing and realized I was just repeating myself but seemed easier to finish the paragraph then to stop and erase it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast