Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight lifting

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Weight lifting

"cc21" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    "cc21" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    I used to lift for basketball....I lifted 3 days a week 9 months out of the year for 3 years straight, and I'm still a fricken rail...helped with my jumping though!
    Yeah I saw that pic of you dunking. Whats your vertical? I can dunk to and I'm 5'10ish. My vert is about 35 inches.
    Wow cc....that's getting up there! I just started dunking two hands consistently this past summer, but before that I could dunk one handed since I was in about 10th grade.

I'm 6'3, but I have long arms so I can reach to about 8 feet standing on the ground. I've never actually measured, but if I had to guess I'd say my vert is right around 30 inches or so.
    Thats pretty freaken good man. Once you hit 30 inches you are getting up there. I can't really dunk with two hands. That would be sweet as hell.
    Yeah, it's fun. I did it in an intramural game last month and I thought the other team was going to die. They were more excited about it than I was, lol.

Dunking at 5'10 is nuts though. I played basketball with two guys in high school that were both 6'6 and couldn't dunk (our two centers, go figure), so dunking at 5'10 is pretty impressive.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

i lift about 3 times a week just for fun i want to transfer to makato in a couple years so i wanna start to lift to play football, no supplements any body got any tips on gaining a bunch of muscle?? haha i just wanna be ripped ;D

Thanks josdin00

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Ltrey" wrote:
    "cc21" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    "cc21" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    I used to lift for basketball....I lifted 3 days a week 9 months out of the year for 3 years straight, and I'm still a fricken rail...helped with my jumping though!
    Yeah I saw that pic of you dunking. Whats your vertical? I can dunk to and I'm 5'10ish. My vert is about 35 inches.
    Wow cc....that's getting up there! I just started dunking two hands consistently this past summer, but before that I could dunk one handed since I was in about 10th grade.

I'm 6'3, but I have long arms so I can reach to about 8 feet standing on the ground. I've never actually measured, but if I had to guess I'd say my vert is right around 30 inches or so.
    Thats pretty freaken good man. Once you hit 30 inches you are getting up there. I can't really dunk with two hands. That would be sweet as hell.
    Yeah, it's fun. I did it in an intramural game last month and I thought the other team was going to die. They were more excited about it than I was, lol.

Dunking at 5'10 is nuts though. I played basketball with two guys in high school that were both 6'6 and couldn't dunk (our two centers, go figure), so dunking at 5'10 is pretty impressive.
    I'm 5'8" and used to be able to dunk one-handed in high school...never did it in a game though!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

tjohnson is offline Asst. Coach

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    "cc21" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    "cc21" wrote:
    [quote author=Ltrey link=topic=29879.msg509690#msg509690 date=1166067732]

I'm 5'8" and used to be able to dunk one-handed in high school...never did it in a game though!

[/quote]

that was a 10 foot rim? :

How do ya like them apples?!

x-ray jeff is offline Coordinator

"tb04512" wrote:
    i lift about 3 times a week just for fun i want to transfer to makato in a couple years so i wanna start to lift to play football, no supplements any body got any tips on gaining a bunch of muscle?? haha i just wanna be ripped ;D
    To gain fast,do a light warm-up set of 10,then three sets of 5 reps as near to your max as you can handle.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"tb04512" wrote:
    The usual rule of thumb is if you're going for mass, use low reps with high weight. Like 3 sets of 5 or 4 sets of 4 with the highest weight you can do reps at....something like that.

If you do that for 3 or 4 months, you're going to see a lot more muscle and size.

If you want definition, go for endurance. Low weight, high reps...that will tone your muscles more than it will make them bigger.

Also, make sure you do a wife variety of exercises. Too many guys just do curls and bench presses nowadays, and they end up looking like Popeye. They get big pecks and big biceps, but nothing else. Do some tricep and deltoid exercises too so you are well rounded and don't look like a jerk.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"tjohnson" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    "cc21" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    [quote author=cc21 link=topic=29879.msg509694#msg509694 date=1166068021]
    [quote author=Ltrey link=topic=29879.msg509690#msg509690 date=1166067732]

[/quote]

that was a 10 foot rim? :

[/quote]

YES!!!
    :
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

x-ray jeff is offline Coordinator

I would like to add that, unless you are working out on a machine,to never do any heavy squats or bench without a spotter or two.Good Luck!

Property0f is offline Pro-Bowler

"cc21" wrote:
    "Property0f" wrote:
    Only creatine? No whey protein?
    No I don't take any kind of protein. Does it help a lot?
    Yea lol. If you want to gain muscle mass you should get the equivalent of your body weight in protein each day. Whey protein is natural and pretty cheap too. it's definitely the safest supplement you can take when lifting or doing any kind of exercise. Even if you want to lose weight its good to have once or twice a day.

Im not a big fan of creatine just because of the drawbacks it can have.

Other then whey I take an Omega 3 fish oil supplement called Coromega. But thats it.

Nothing beats a well balanced diet, plenty of fluids, and 8-10 hours of sleep each night when trying to gain muscle. Get all three of these everyday 7 days a week and you'll never need steroids or even creatine for that matter.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"cc21" wrote:
    "Property0f" wrote:
    Only creatine? No whey protein?
    No I don't take any kind of protein. Does it help a lot?
    Yes.

I take it immediately after I lift.
    Your muscles need to food to begin recovery.

You outta do some research on it.
    And some brands are crapola.
    I get Optimum Nutrition Pure Whey.
    You get a massive jug for $30.
    Some of the designer stuff is big bucks and all you are paying for is name and image.
    I do not use creatine.

You should intake 1 gram of protein for every pound you weigh.
    Do not just use the powder.
    Chicken breasts, eggs, and other foods are high in protein.
    I also take antioxidants and fatty acids.
    Thats about it for me.

**I just read the post above mine, we have the same principals*

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast