Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

We still like it here, but the question is, why?

[size=18px]We still like it here, but the question is, why? [/size]

This used to be a great area for sports fans. But lately local teams have provided little reason to cheer. Yet fans remain optimistic, stubbornly refusing to quit watching.

Jim Souhan, Star Tribune
    Last update: April 23, 2006 – 12:06 AM

I had never visited the Twin Cities before flying here from Dallas for a job interview in the winter of 1990, arriving with no winter coat and wondering whether Minnesotans had invented a device specifically to unfreeze nose hairs.
    What I found beneath a foot of snow was a great sports scene in the trendy tundra of Minneapolis.

In 1991, Minnesotans showed off their sporting chops, not to mention a large banner at the Metrodome proclaiming "We Like It Here!"

There were plenty of self-esteem issues wrapped in that deceptively simple declarative sentence, but there were lots of reasons for fans to like it here, despite black ice, high taxes and Herschel Walker.

In the span of 11 months, we played host to a Super Bowl, a Final Four, a U.S. Open, the Stars' Stanley Cup finals run, and a World Series.

The Wolves had made a feisty debut under scrappy coach Bill Musselman, at a juncture in franchise history when losing was still quaint.

The North Stars had yet to go south, Dennis Green had revived the Vikings, and Clem Haskins hadn't gotten caught.

The highlight of this run of drama and civic pride: one of the greatest World Series ever.

When Gene Larkin's long single sent Dan Gladden home on Oct. 27, 1991, there was no better place than Minnesota to be a sports fan or writer.

Now? As staff writer Jeff Shelman's article in today's Star Tribune enumerates, our sports scene has become hopeless.

Yet we seem to be one of the most forgiving fan bases in the nation. KFAN's hosts call their most rabid, least realistic listeners "rubes," and never has a stereotype fit so snugly.

Only in Minnesota could ...

• The NFL team receive praise for trading a quarterback who finished second in the league MVP voting in 2004 for a second-round draft choice in 2006.

• The NFL team employ a novice head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator and personnel director, plus mediocre running backs, receivers and linebackers, and inspire widespread fan optimism.

• The NHL team establish itself as the New York Yankees of revenue and stadia, behave like the Kansas City Royals of player procurement, and sell out every game.

• The NBA team need only one victory over a bad team (the Wolves' blowout of the Celtics after the Wally Szczerbiak deal) for the public to endorse a trade that cost the franchise another first-round draft pick.

• The baseball team squander opportunities to chase another World Series title with passive-aggressive moves in free agency, and still remain Our Little Scrappers.

• We build a state-of-the-art arena for the niche sport of hockey, approve a new football stadium for the only local team guaranteed not to leave or contract, and bellyache about building stadiums for the franchises we are most associated with nationally -- the Vikings and Twins.

Where once Kirby Puckett's fist pump and Jack Morris' scowl defined Twin Cities sports, latter years have given us more pessimistic imagery.

In 1992, we had Eric Fox's walk-off homer against Rick Aguilera ruining the Twins' hopes of repeating.

In 1993, the North Stars playing their last game at Met Center, amid chants of "Norm Sucks" aimed at carpetbagging owner Norm Green.

In 1998, we had Gary Anderson missing, Morten Andersen making, and the slush of our city streets filled with Vikings' car flags.

In 2000, we had Randy Moss trying to sneak his posse into Giants Stadium before 41-doughnut.

• In 2001, we had the Twins' second-half collapse, and Tom Kelly retiring.

• In 2002, we had Adam Kennedy and the Rally Monkey crushing the Twins' World Series hopes.

• Since then we've had the Tice Ticket Travesty, the Love Boat Scandal, a lousy Twins season, the implosion of the Wolves and Holy Cross beating Gopher hockey.

Ah, but we Twin Citians can always find hope. After all, the Swarm made the playoffs, the Lynx drafted Seimone Augustus, and we still like it here.

Jim Souhan can be heard Sundays from 10 a.m.-noon on KSTP AM 1500. He is at [email protected]

We still like it here, but the question is, why?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

crazyB is offline Starter

Re: We still like it here, but the question is, why?

:smile: you love it because it's part of you, "maybe it's because i'm a Londoner that i love London town" it's in the song.
    just think if you had the money would you leave Minnesota or just buy a better bigger house in Minnesota?.. :smile:

I live in London England and i don't think i could ever leave if i had the cash i'd buy a holiday home abroad but still stay in London.
    it's just all about being proud of your root's it never seam's to matter you could live in city that has nothing going for it at all but still like it co's that's where you grew up.
    8)

8) crazyB that s Mr crazyB to you 8)

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I guess most people fall in love with where their from and roots are hard to kill.

I've been to many places in the world, some being very very nice, but in the end I always get home sick and can't wait to get back to Connecticut......It's where I call HOME....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I'm orriginally, from North Dakota, I've been living in West Virginia for the last 6 years, yeah Idon't freeze my arse off anymmore but I'm homesick and ready to move back.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I was born and raised in South Florida.. I love it in Florida, but Wisconsin is now where I call home. I don't mind Wisconsin, but I will always have a special place in my heart for Florida. I have been in Wisconsin for the past 15 years, and I was only in Florida for my first 13 years on this earth, however it is what I call home.

Since I been watching Football, the Minnesota Vikings have been my favorite team. It would have been easy for me to be a Bear fan seeing as though my father is a huge Chicago Bear fan. My parents were both born in Chicag, so my dad stays true to his roots. Having grown up in Florida, it would have been easy for me to be either a Dolphin, or Bucs fan. My second oldest brother is a Tampa fan, so it would have been easy to follow in his footsteps. What can I say, I just love the Vikings, always have, always will....

I don't know if I can relate to that article since i am from Washington, but it seems to me, from the TV, that Minnesota loves their football!!! I mean Washington loves their Hawks but it still is fair whether fan kind of town!!! Minnesotans seem to stick through thick and thin!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Minnesotans seem to stick through thick and thin!!!
    Despite the best efforts of the local sports writers to change our mind! :lol:
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

i am a diehard twins, vikings, and timberwolves fan..i love my teams and i would never part with them under any circumstance..i will always support my teams no matter how many times the wolves, twins, or vikes miss the playoffs..our teams have been competitive the last so many years, and have given alot of fans a reason to stay interested..the twins had the period where they were so close to the world series lately, and the twolves were only 1 decent nba referee away from facing the pistons in the finals 2 years ago..the vikings are on their way up from the disappointing seasons of 3 and 4 years ago, and have been the preseason superbowl pick for many experts lately..realistically the twins are 1 slugger and a kyle lohse departure away from breaking out..the timberwolves would instantly rise with the departure of kevin mchale, and new advisors for glen taylor (since he knows nothing about basketball at all)..and the vikings now seem to have almost everything in place to live up to expectations
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

1990? Johnny come lately. Obviously not a true fan lol!

I live in an area without a professional NFL team.

Every year I see a lot of people wearing whatever team is hot.

A true fan wears the purple and gold .

It takes grit to be a true fan. Win or lose we never quit.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Gift is offline Coordinator

It's funny cuz it's true.

Go Vikes!
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast