Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: We no longer have property rights.

"ColoradoVike" wrote:
    this really has nothing to do with the president in power. He didn't have any say in who is sitting on the supreme court justice. I guess it's just that someone saw an opportunity to vent.

To clarify, the local government takes the property and then may re-sell it to a private interest when it supposedly will benefit the public good. property does not just change hands from private owner to private owner.This law has been on the books in weaker form since ~1924.

Can it be abused? sure. Any law can. Will it be? hard to say, in some places, where the citizens have become lethargic and dont care what their local governments do, it's more likely than in other places where people care and act like they care.

I'm not making any judgement on this. I'm post-berserk. It is now law and there's a lot more productive things one can do to make sure it's doesn't affect you adversly than accusing people of being in denial or flaming a political party whose policies you dont agree with.

Plus, this cuts both ways. A local government could take a Walmart store+parking lot and turn it into a Ford plant or into a golf course + condominiums.

If you're worried about your private property rights in your area, join the ACLU and raise hell.
    Thank you! This has absolutely nothing to do with Bush. And as far as that guy bitching about crude oil prices, don't complain about gas prices my friend. We are SPOILED in America. We're used to gas prices being 1.80-2.20, in the UK they regularly pay over 5 dollars a gallon. Most of the rest of Europe and most of Asia pays well over 4 dollars a gallon. Really the only places they pay less than us is where they produce it (all the 'stans). So count your blessings. And really, what does Bush have to do with oil prices? HE wants to open up the Alaskan oil reserves, which the liberals are and have been blocking for years.

Really no matter who we have for a president, Liberal, Conservative, Green, or Communist as long as we're dependant upon foreign oil (which we're going to be until it dries up or we all start using hydrogen) the gas prices will be higher, because they can be, and the oil companies want to make money and they know they have us by the short hair.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"CanadaViking" wrote:
    I am not sure of the rules regarding government buy outs for homes that are in the way of corporate gain here in Canada, but I have read before that the gov't will compensate above and beyond the market value(in Winnipeg). They do this to alleviate the stress of such a predicament.

As far as your President goes, we up here in Canada are maybe a bit scared of the power afforded to this man G.W. Bush. I am not bashing Republicans or anything, it is more of concern for this particular President, as he seems to be hanging from strings with a hand up his a$$ controlling his mouth.

I am truly sorry if I offended any of Bush's supporters on this thread however my opinion of Bush is unwaivering, he is a silly guy. The same can be said for the powers that be here in canada right now as well.

Sorry for the rant, but the man scares the hell out of me!

Cheers!!
    I'm not sure how it's portrayed up in Canada, probably worse than it actually is, but Bush doesn't have THAT much power. If anything, the party has more power than he does. The constitution is still in place, the checks and balances are still in place, and other than the Patriot Act he hasn't really been afforded any serious wartime powers that he's abused. He may have used them misguidedly at times, as we're seeing in Iraq (whcih by the way congress passed bipartisanly) but he hasn't abused his power. He won't become a dictator, so any extra power he's been afforded has been blown way out of proportion. The bottom line is, he still needs the Judiciary and the Congress to do anything of measure.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I don't want this discussion to become any more political than it already is. I will say this now... I am a liberal and some people will call me an extremist.

This has nothing to do with Bush really. You can say Fuck Bush all you want but this time he really didn't have control.

You see, the reason this disgusts me so much is that it means that a large corporation can destroy a poor (probably rural) community who can't stand up for themselves because of a lack of resources. Then, once they have destroyed the entire community they can put in a couple of high rises, a strip mall, and a Jiffy Lube.

bryonfos is offline Starter

You cannot blame Bush at all, and you know what? You can't even blame the Republicans, look it up. All 4 Republican Justices voted against this. It was the Democrat Justices that passed it. Justices are completely out of control, Republicans have been complaining about activist judges for years. This is the proof of their concerns. I firmly stand against this, and am personally considering contacting Mr. Wilf about possibly constructing a strip mall through all the Democrat Supreme Court Judges homes. Do you think he'll go 4 it?
    The only thing worse than a Packer is a Cowboy

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"bryonfos" wrote:
    You cannot blame Bush at all, and you know what? You can't even blame the Republicans, look it up. All 4 Republican Justices voted against this. It was the Democrat Justices that passed it. Justices are completely out of control, Republicans have been complaining about activist judges for years. This is the proof of their concerns. I firmly stand against this, and am personally considering contacting Mr. Wilf about possibly constructing a strip mall through all the Democrat Supreme Court Judges homes. Do you think he'll go 4 it?
    Wow. Thats the way to think. :roll:

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

"mnjamie" wrote:
    F*#K BUSH and his Republican Monkeys !!!!
    Wow, some nice words for us Republicans there. Just say F&%K your opponents...that's a great way to get us Republicans to listen to you.

"mnjamie" wrote:
    -- Republicans introduce a "softer" version of Pres. Bush's social security privatization reform yesterday
    At least the GOP is trying to do something about Social Security. The Democrats are just sitting by waiting for the 2008 elections, hoping they win. There shouldn't be a question that there are problems with Social Security that have to be dealt with. The Democrats know that there's problems, they just don't want the GOP to be credited with reforming Social Security (the Democrats have had this issue since the program was created). Remember back in 1999 and 2000 when Bill Clinton was saying there are problems with Social Security? Remember when Harry Reid said there were problems with Social Security? Remember when Chuck Schumer said there were problems with Social Security? Did the problme all the sudden dissappear? No! All the Democrats are doing is playing a dangerous political game, waiting for 2008 so they may get the chance to reform Social Security. If they want to complain about President Bush's reform plan, they should at least have some ideas of their own on how to fix the system.

Update-It's not total privitization under Bush's plan, it's partial privitization. I'm sick of Democrats pushing the impression that Bush wants to complelty privatize the system. He dosen't.

"mnjamie" wrote:
    -- Light sweet crude oil back to $60 / barrel again today (all time high)
    Tell me, what does Bush have to do with these prices going up? Nothing. All Bush can do is try to make our country less dependent on forgien sources of energy so we have to pay for less energy. We can't control what prices OPEC sets, all we can do is become less dependent on them. Bush's energy plan has been stalled in Congress for four years now...if we can get some sort of energy plan through, we can become less dependent on forgien sources of energy. Only then will gas prices start to go down. ltrey33 also brings up a good point on how we're much better off than most countries.

"mnjamie" wrote:
    -- Supreme Court saying I dont own what I sweat daily to pay for
    What do President Bush and the GOP have to do with this ruling? Nothing at all. You can't pin this on a political party, you can only pin this on the Supreme Court justices who voted in favor of this ruling.

"mnjamie" wrote:
    -- WAR IN IRAQ STILL HAS NO END IN SIGHT !!! Contributing to $430+ Billion (yes, that is a "B" at the beginning) in national debt
    This could go off into many seperate arguments. I'll say one thing though: The Iraqi security forces are getting their training along well, and we'll probably be at a point next year where we can start pulling troops out. I think we're going to start pulling troops out next year regardless of what happens; there will be lots of political pressure to do so.

"mnjamie" wrote:
    -- Nation wide home prices at all time high (but still the gov't can now low ball ya if they want and steal your dream home right from under you all in the name of progress)
    Tell me how Bush has caused this.

"mnjamie" wrote:
    - Unrelated note, Congress and Bush pass laws making it almost impossible for people who need to, to file for bankruptcy. They now first have to go through consumer credit agencies (big business) for @ the min. of 6 monthes and still no guarantee will be allowed to file.
    Honestly, I haven't studied this issue a whole lot, so I can't make a judgment on it. Once I have studied the issue, I'll have something on this.

"mnjamie" wrote:
    Can't wait till the next pres. election ... Anyone know how many days till then ????
    All I can say is, Cheney 2008 :grin: . J/K, I'm pulling for Rudy Giuliani in 2008. For the record, I'm a right-of-center Republican. I'm conservative on some issues and more moderate on others. Don't get me wrong though, I'm a GOP "loyalist" (I do volunteer work w/ my local GOP and such).

BTW, I won't have any replies to anymore political posts in the next week and a half or so-I'll be on a trip. Don't think I'm running away from a debate, I just won't be here.

One more thing-Many of these posts are why there shouldn't be politics on this fourm.

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

6-KINGS Guest

Wow what a thread!
    We have to get past the finger pointing and really understand that no single man, judge or corporation is behind this.
    This is not an idea that just sprang up.
    This judgement, like so many is an action in response to a culture of elitist thought. A culture that crosses both sides of the isle, color and religion.

It is the slow,steady and systematic reshaping of our Republic.And in many many ways not for the better.

Look into the history books and see it has happened countless times before.

Take the time, you have the net. Look up the judges, where they came from, who schooled them, what organizations they belong too and the picture will become clearer.

Study up on this group because they have many more bombs to drop on our rights.This is not the beginning, it started so long ago and we are a long way from the end.
    And you are fooling yourself if you think this is Republican vs Democrat.
    That is what they want to think.
    America is about to change A LOT!!

6-KINGS

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234