Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re: Violent Defense, a Video of my team!

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "IBleedPurple28" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    Ultra is right it is football. However the best advice I can give him is that Parents can be a pain in the ass. If the parents are complaining about it. Right or wrong enough parents complain it can come back to bite you big time. Main reason I don't coach anymore. I alweays belived evryone plays no matter ability. I had so many parents complain about this that so and so was costing the team becasue they made a mistake. I coached for 2 and a half seasons. They tried to get me too not coach by comoolaining non stop to the director(he told nme about it for about every week) My half season I had had enough, even though we were 4-0 I said "If you think you can do better go ahead" Needless to say they tried it their way and did not win a game the rest of the season. Just keep the parents on your side if you can.

I'm pretty sure Ultra has had his run-ins with some parents if he has been coaching for 6 years. Its not really a hard thing to overcome, "if you dont like how I coach then take your kid off my team, if you want him to learn...then shut up and let me do my job." haha Maybe not in those exact words but you get the point.
    Some parents are afraid of the truth.
    But 95% of them are great and trust us very much.

When it comes to opposing coaches or parents on our butts because they think we are dirty and they tell us to go to hell, the soldier in me wants to come out and ask that parent "what number is your son?"
    Then give them the throat slash gesture.
    But I am a professional and do not do that.
    Plus, I would probably get banned.
    You scare me.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"baumy300" wrote:
    Jesus... Those kids are athletic for how young they are.

You can't teach aggressiveness.
    They were 9-10 as of Aug. 1.
    Some are 11 now.

No, you cannot teach aggression.
    However, you have to give the players the proper environment in order for them to learn it for themselves.

My son for example, we have talks all the time and I ask him what is going through your mind in certain scenarios.
    I am very interested in hearing what he has to say.
    But no matter what I tell him, he has to mentally figure it out on his own.
    Sure, I can say get aggressive and he can go out there and look it...but still not be aggressive.
    The big difference in our players is that we have provided them with the physical skills and techniques and they are now getting the mental game

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "baumy300" wrote:
    Jesus... Those kids are athletic for how young they are.

You can't teach aggressiveness.
    They were 9-10 as of Aug. 1.
    Some are 11 now.

No, you cannot teach aggression.
    However, you have to give the players the proper environment in order for them to learn it for themselves.

My son for example, we have talks all the time and I ask him what is going through your mind in certain scenarios.
    I am very interested in hearing what he has to say.
    But no matter what I tell him, he has to mentally figure it out on his own.
    Sure, I can say get aggressive and he can go out there and look it...but still not be aggressive.
    The big difference in our players is that we have provided them with the physical skills and techniques and they are now getting the mental game
    Not saying the coaching didn't put the kids where they are, but you are lucky to have them as players. I coached one year of 7th and 8th football as a favor for someone. I was excited for it to be honest. It was for 9 man football and 7 kids showed up. Two days later a mother brought a kid (he was crying) to practice and said all he cared about was his playstation. He didn't want to be there obviously. One more kid came out after his parents agreed, but wow. We got close to scoring a few times, but I can't say much else. I tried making them aggressive, tough, knowledgeable (just basics, they never played before and really didn't want to be out in the first place) and just overall average players, but no dice. Here are some highlights:

* While in shotgun, the ball was snapped so high and the line was so bad, the snap was picked off for a TD. The snap was....

* When playing a team that sounds like yours (big, good, athletic) my starting guard and tackle came back to the huddle after the first play crying. They said "they are too big." I told them to toughen up. The tackle started crying because he thought I was mad at him.

* Ran a double reverse with the slot in motion. He took it from the QB and tossed it to a WR crossing who then threw it to a back who was wide open. Keep in mind this back was my fastest player. The back had a good 15 yards on everyone when he made the catch on the 35. He was brought down a little past the 50.

* After holding almost a 3 hour practice explaining the fundamentals and basics of defense the day before the game (not much contact, just explanations) I almost shit myself when my DT remarked to me while on defense "Boy these guys are sure easy to block." Yes, he sure blocked them
    :

* Since I had to play the kid who cried because his mom made him go out (he was a guard) he got us 2 false starts in one drive because he was picking dandilions off of the field. He also would sometimes forget to move when we said "hut" and get bowled over.
    ;D

These are just a few of the things I had to put up with. I did everything in my power, but other than 2 kids of the 9, no one wanted to be there, or they just didn't care. Plus the fact they had no knowledge about football before the season didn't help.

Sorry to make this post all about me Ultra, but I just want you to appreciate what you have

I can try and find a video by one of the parents and try to upload it. You wont believe it.

IBleedPurple11 is offline Pro-Bowler

haha damn man that doesnt sound fun at all....you can only do so much as a coach.

*SKOL!*

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

"IBleedPurple28" wrote:
    haha gol 'darnit man that doesnt sound fun at all....you can only do so much as a coach.
    Haha, it wasn't funny then because I looked stupid, but yeah now it's a little humorous
    ;D

Oh I forgot the best one. My DT who was also my center got confused on D once, and when the other team came out of the huddle and was setting up, he took the ball and snapped it at our MLB!!!!!!!

Everyone just looked at us like "Wtf you guys." He said he thought we were on offense
    :-\

See, you can't even make this stuff up.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"baumy300" wrote:
    "IBleedPurple28" wrote:
    haha gol 'darnit man that doesnt sound fun at all....you can only do so much as a coach.
    Haha, it wasn't funny then because I looked stupid, but yeah now it's a little humorous
    ;D

Oh I forgot the best one. My DT who was also my center got confused on D once, and when the other team came out of the huddle and was setting up, he took the ball and snapped it at our MLB!!!!!!!

Everyone just looked at us like "Wtf you guys." He said he thought we were on offense
    :-\

See, you can't even make this stuff up.
    He must have been hit in the head one too many times

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Good stuff man.

It's a different world when they have never played before I would imagine.
    At age 8 (3rd grade) is when we transitioned from flag to tackle.
    It was rough, but we had a good squad and went 7-0.

I applaud your efforts.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Sweet video Ultra. Thanx for sharing. You coaches sure have your "D" "bring it". Those are some monsterous hits. Especially that first one. I think that one would have knocked me the fuck out. LOL!

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

At that age, it truly is about mentality, but that all changes once the kids start getting into their teens.

The mentality stage should already be in place, and the physical aspect kicks in. Some kids, when i played then (and even now), were physically better than me in every imaginable way. They were faster and stronger. Some still are. We had one guy, his name was "Big Mac". he was 6'0 and a mean 200-something odd pounds. IN 6TH GRADE. how was a relatively normal kid supposed to compete with that?

When it gets to high school, it's all about technique.

And ultra, your son is lucky to have had the chance to play football at an early age. it truly does help.

sharper42 is offline Pro-Bowler

wow you take this youth football pretty seriously
    our only sure-handed receiver

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast