Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    happy camper is offline Team Alumni

A Vikings related essay I'm writing for English.

Don't know why I'm posting this. Kinda lame.
    ???

In 2003 the Minnesota Vikings lost two straight games to inferior teams at the end of their season. Luckily, the Vikings still made the playoffs. Many felt they made the playoffs only because the rest of the conference was not as good it usually is. Those people would probably be right. In the playoffs, they were slated to play their archrival Green Bay Packers. The same Green Bay Packers that had already beaten the Vikings in two close games in the same season. Games so close, they were both won by last second field goals, one of those games even occurred on Christmas day, and it was not a very merry Christmas present for Vikings fans.

I’ll get back to the Vikings game later, but let’s turn our attention to the movie Dumb And Dumber starring Jim Carrey. In this movie, Lloyd (Carrey) travels across the country in pursuit of a lady he briefly met when he was a limo driver. She lost her briefcase, Lloyd retrieved it and this was his excuse to chase after her. Towards the end of the movie he asked her, “What are the chances of a guy like me ending up with a girl like you?” To which she replies “About one in a million.” He pauses. And then says, “So you’re telling me there’s a chance.” Lloyd was totally oblivious to the fact he was just shot down, but more importantly, he was not letting this bring him down! He was determined. I’m sure what was going through Lloyd’s mind was, “That’s better than one in a trillion!”

Now, back to the Vikings game. Before this game, there was a picture in that morning’s sports page with a picture of Lloyd. Beside this was a quote from the movie that said, “So you’re telling me there’s a chance”. This was, of course, in reference to the Vikings chances of winning the game. In the movie, Lloyd had a one in a million chance to win his lady’s heart, and the same was true for the Vikings, they had a one in a million shot at winning the game. The picture and quote in the paper was mocking the hometown teams chances!

I was not nervous before this game because I also bought into the idea that the Vikings had no chance. Even though I’m a fan, I wrote them off too. So what happened? The Vikings cut through the Packers defense like a hot knife through butter. The Vikings won 34-17. It was magical if you were a Vikings fan. It was amazing to be complete underdogs and then have your team walk into another teams house and defeat them handily.

I learned a couple things from this experience. First, I learned that even when the odds look completely against you, nothing is impossible. Sure, things can be improbable. But it’s never impossible. Even if everyone has written you off, it’s still not impossible to conquer your goal. I have applied this to my life since then. After that game, I cut out that picture and quote and hung it in my room. It’s my personal motto. Some people wear WWJD: What Would Jesus Do? I have Lloyd hanging in my room saying, “So you’re telling me there’s a chance.”

The second thing I learned from this experience that you can’t limit yourself in what you learn from. A Vikings game and a movie called Dumb And Dumber, I admit, sound extremely trivial. It sounds like the least likely place you should learn a life’s lesson from. You can learn a life’s lesson in any situation, no matter how insignificant or miniscule it may seem at the time.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: A Vikings related essay I'm writing for English.

today as a matter of fact, i saw an essay about how the packers were the best team ever..

i took the paper and threw it on the ground.. buuuuh
    i m better than you, so just give up...

tjohnson is offline Asst. Coach

what grade are you in???

How do ya like them apples?!

NaryBim is offline Training Camp

Nah, man its not lame.
    Sometimes great insights can come from observing the mundane.
    I know a guy who spent several years writing about nothing but boxelder bugs (google Bill Holm).
    Believe it or not, he turned it into a pretty good living.
    Who's to say what you see is any less interesting.
    I especially liked the WWLS (what would Lloyd say).
    "When you have fear, bad things happen."
    C. Fason

"tjohnson" wrote:
    what grade are you in???
    College.

Do I sound dumb?
    :-
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I think that was a great essay. I'm bias because I love the vikes and I love dumb and dumber but you tied things together well and explained your reasons for things well. If you were in my class that would be an A paper. Hopefully your prof will think the same, and hopefully he/she isn't a cheesedick fan!! lol

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Pretty good...still needs some polishing though.
    I'd give it a B...but then I'm a lawyer so it might never be good enough for an A+.

LOL!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

Something to remember: You usually want to stay away from refering to either the essay, or yourself.

Is it an English 1121 class, like Freshman Comp., or something more advanced?
    -Sno

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

Here is your essay after running it through with Microsoft Word Spelling and Grammer check. There are a couple of things that could not be changed without changing the meaning of the sentence. But this should help.

However unless the Prof. tells you "I" is okay to use...DON"T use it!

Also, most colleges have a "Writing Center" where they will read over your papers and help you with corrections.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~
    In 2003, the Minnesota Vikings lost two games in a row to inferior teams at the end of their season. Luckily, the Vikings still made the playoffs. Many felt they made the playoffs only because the rest of the conference was not as good it usually is. Those people would probably be right. In the playoffs, they were to play their archrival Green Bay Packers. This is the same Green Bay Packers that had already beaten the Vikings in two close games. These games were so close, they were both won by last second field goals. One of those games even occurred on Christmas day; it was not a very merry Christmas present for Vikings fans.

Back to the Vikings game later, instead let us turn our attention to the movie Dumb and Dumber starring Jim Carrey. In this movie, Lloyd (Carrey) travels across the country in pursuit of a woman he briefly met when he was a limo driver. She lost her briefcase, Lloyd retrieved it and this was his excuse to chase after her. Towards the end of the movie, he asked her, “What are the chances of a guy like me ending up with a girl like you?” To which she replies “About one in a million.” He pauses. Then he says, “So you’re telling me there’s a chance.” Lloyd was very oblivious to the fact he was shot down, but more importantly, he was not letting this bring him down! He was determined. I am sure what was going through Lloyd’s mind was, “That’s better than one in a trillion!”

Now, to return to the Vikings game. Before this game, there was a picture on the morning sports page with a picture of (Insert first name!)Lloyd. Beside the picture was a quote from the movie that said, “So you’re telling me there’s a chance”. This was, of course, in reference to the Vikings chances of winning the game. In the movie, Lloyd had a one in a million chance to win his woman’s heart, and the same was true for the Vikings, they had a chance at winning the game. The picture and quote in the paper was mocking the hometown teams’ chances!

I was not nervous before this game because I also bought into the idea that the Vikings had no chance. Even though I am a fan, I wrote them off too. So what happened? The Vikings cut through the Packers defense like a hot knife through butter. The Vikings won 34-17. It was magical if you were a Vikings fan. It was amazing to be complete underdogs and then have your team walk into another team’s house and defeat them handily.

I learned a couple things from this experience. First, I learned that even when the odds look completely against you, nothing is impossible. Sure, things can be improbable, however, it is never impossible. Even if everyone has written you off, it is still not impossible to conquer your goal. I have applied this to my life since then. After that game, I cut out the picture and the quote and hung it in my room. It is my personal motto. Some people wear "WWJD: What Would Jesus Do?" I have Lloyd hanging in my room saying, “So you’re telling me there’s a chance.”

The second thing learned from this experience is that you cannot limit yourself in where you learn something. A Vikings game and a movie called Dumb and Dumber, I admit, sound extremely trivial. It sounds like the least likely place you should learn a life’s lesson. You can learn a life’s lesson in any situation, no matter how insignificant or miniscule it may seem at the time.
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

Pretty good...still needs some polishing though.
    I'd give it a B...but then I'm a lawyer so it might never be good enough for an A+.
    I'd probably give it a B too. I think the ideas presented are good, but the writing is probably average. I posted this 2 minutes after I was done with it, which is probably something I shouldn't do.

Something to remember: You usually want to stay away from refering to either the essay, or yourself.

Is it an English 1121 class, like Freshman Comp., or something more advanced?
    It's English 121. And she's never said not to use I, so I dunno. She doesn't seem like a very good teacher though.
    :-X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast