Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 115
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,232

    Re: Vikings new linebacker?

    "Caine" wrote:

    Also, when Law Enforcement officers "step out of line" they ARE punished...usually a lot worse than the rest of us.
    See, if you or I get arrested for a Domestic, we get some jail time, a ticket, and some public ridicule (for being a tard).
    If a cop gets one, he loses his job.
    We get multiple DUI's...no biggie.
    Cop with multiple DUIs...loses his job.
    And the list goes on.
    Cops get fired or suspended all the time for things that you or I would merely get a slap on the wrist for.
    They are held to a FAR higher standard.
    all your examples are while not in uniform. what about when a citizen detains the wrong person? is it kidnapping? what about when 5 officers beat an unconscious man? i'd be happy if i only lost my job and didn't spend 5 years in the pen for assault with a deadly weapon with intent to do great bodily harm.

    "Caine" wrote:
    Ironically, those who insist that they meet that higher standard are, more often than not, incapable of meeting that standard themselves.
    The same people screaming about bad cops are typically people who believe themselves to be above the law or that they are somehow owed something by our society.
    :

    being a libertarian pretty much takes me out of that group. so i must be a druggie and have several run in with police? (a response to another generalization posted)
    :

    give me a break

    "Caine" wrote:

    Also, in NO OTHER PROFESSION are you so vehemently HATED for simply putting on a uniform.
    Too many people lump the majority of honest, hard working, honorable Law Enforcement Officers in with the small yet VERY noticable minority of floop-tards that slipped through the screening and got hired.
    since their job is to interrupt your day and what your doing and to make you pay a fine in a normal scenario than why would they be beloved?

    best case scenario they save a life or stop a crime from being committed. thats why they get a big fat pay check , great pension and retirement. no one shows up to my work with cameras when i figure whats wrong with the vehicle im working on. only when some shop is ripping their customers off.

    if your job offers you a shotgun/m-16/40 as standard issue , than you should have thick enough skin to deal with being labeled as does every other profession.


    http://justlube.net/?page_id=44

  2. #102
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139

    Re: Vikings new linebacker?

    "fourdoorchevelle]<br" wrote:

    Also, when Law Enforcement officers "step out of line" they ARE punished...usually a lot worse than the rest of us.
    See, if you or I get arrested for a Domestic, we get some jail time, a ticket, and some public ridicule (for being a tard).
    If a cop gets one, he loses his job.
    We get multiple DUI's...no biggie.
    Cop with multiple DUIs...loses his job.
    And the list goes on.
    Cops get fired or suspended all the time for things that you or I would merely get a slap on the wrist for.
    They are held to a FAR higher standard.
    all your examples are while not in uniform. what about when a citizen detains the wrong person? is it kidnapping? what about when 5 officers beat an unconscious man? i'd be happy if i only lost my job and didn't spend 5 years in the pen for assault with a deadly weapon with intent to do great bodily harm.[/quote]

    Yes, the initial examples I gave were typically out-of-uniform infractions.
    But the POINT was that for the very SAME infraction, their penalty is typically HIGHER.
    When they screw up on the job, their every action is looked at under a microscope, and split second decisions are debated for hours and days.
    They have FAR less latitude than you or I.

    As for detaining the wrong person, it goes to "good faith" errors.
    Sadly, criminals don't typically have the word "Criminal" stenciled on their forehead, so SOMETIMES the officer has to ascertain the identity of people who may resemble the physical description.

    I was pulled over once because a car similar to the one I was driving was used in a hold up.
    I allowed the officer to search the vehicle - to confirm it was not the one he was looking for - and I continued on my way, untasered and unbeaten.
    Should I have gotten my knickers in a knot over the event?

    "fourdoorchevelle][quote" wrote:
    Ironically, those who insist that they meet that higher standard are, more often than not, incapable of meeting that standard themselves.
    The same people screaming about bad cops are typically people who believe themselves to be above the law or that they are somehow owed something by our society.
    :

    being a libertarian pretty much takes me out of that group. so i must be a druggie and have several run in with police? (a response to another generalization posted)
    :

    give me a break[/quote]

    My generalization was an intentional response to NUMEROUS generalizations I had been fielding throughout the discussion.
    Yet, oddly, you want to haul me on the carpet for the ONE I did, and support those made previously?


    And, in the paragraph quoted, I used the word "typically".
    Most of the people I see that are "Cop Haters" DO fall into the category I described...not ALL, but MOST.
    Hence, the word "typically".


    "fourdoorchevelle][quote" wrote:

    Also, in NO OTHER PROFESSION are you so vehemently HATED for simply putting on a uniform.
    Too many people lump the majority of honest, hard working, honorable Law Enforcement Officers in with the small yet VERY noticable minority of floop-tards that slipped through the screening and got hired.
    since their job is to interrupt your day and what your doing and to make you pay a fine in a normal scenario than why would they be beloved?

    best case scenario they save a life or stop a crime from being committed. thats why they get a big fat pay check , great pension and retirement. no one shows up to my work with cameras when i figure whats wrong with the vehicle im working on. only when some shop is ripping their customers off.

    if your job offers you a shotgun/m-16/40 as standard issue , than you should have thick enough skin to deal with being labeled as does every other profession. [/quote]

    Their JOB is to enforce the law.
    If you are having a negative run in with them, typically (There's that sneaky word again) you have BROKEN a law, and are on the receiving end of a citation/arrest.
    So, again, that would be a self-inflicted situation.

    Yet somehow it's always the Officer's fault for arresting you, or for citing you.

    You say that no one shows up with cameras when you fix a problem...and you don't get fired if you guess wrong.
    You don't have to make split second decisions that have lives hanging in the balance.
    Your customers don't automatically hate you, and aren't pissed off when they come to see you (usually).
    Most people don't fight you when you give them a bill.
    And, I'm willing to bet that no one has ever shot at you while you were working on their car.

    But you want to compare the two jobs?
    On what basis?
    There IS no comparrison.


    Know what the #1 cause of death is for Police Officers?
    Suicide.
    Know why?
    Because of the incredible stress we - as a society - put on them.
    They have to be perfect, every time.
    They have to get the right guy, the right way, and before anyone else gets hurt.
    And if they don't...well, they get crucified in the papers, on tv, and on the internet.

    Ever screwed up an auto repair?
    Were you dragged through the mud for it?
    I doubt it.

    But hey, keep on hating cops.
    That's your perrogative.

    Caine


  3. #103
    PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,738

    Re: Vikings new linebacker?

    My favorite line from cops is "SHUT UP OR YOU'RE GOING TO JAIL!"

    I've been arrested twice in my life for continuing to speak, I refused to accept a plea bargain and chose to take it to trial, but the prosecutor dismissed the charges...BOTH TIMES! (in two different counties)

    Cops don't seem to believe in the freedom of speech when it doesn't suit their needs.

    I wasn't going to, but ok, I’ll elaborate. The first time, my brother-in-law was being punched by his girlfriend, while in an argument, with many witnesses' and the police refused to do anything about it- I assume because she's female and there's a double standard. I wouldn't let it go, so off I went.

    Second time, I was watching some fights outside a bar and the bouncer was breaking up one of the fights and was holding a guy on the ground while the police showed up. The cop jumped out of the car and immediately told the bouncer that he was under arrest. The bouncer (who was black by the way in a town that is 99. something white) said "I'm the bouncer" and started to walk toward the bar. He didn't get two steps and was being tasered in the back. That's when I started telling the cop that he's the bouncer and the cop told me to "SHUT UP OR YOU'RE GOING TO JAIL!" in their usual manner. Also, I was 20-30 feet away from where the cop was, I think that was a big part of the dismissal of the obstruction of justice charges.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,232

    Re: Vikings new linebacker?

    "Caine" wrote:
    "fourdoorchevelle]<br" wrote:

    Also, when Law Enforcement officers "step out of line" [size=10pt]they ARE punished...usually a lot worse than the rest of us[/size].
    See, if you or I get arrested for a Domestic, we get some jail time, a ticket, and some public ridicule (for being a tard).
    If a cop gets one, he loses his job.
    We get multiple DUI's...no biggie.
    Cop with multiple DUIs...loses his job.
    And the list goes on.
    Cops get fired or suspended all the time for things that you or I would merely get a slap on the wrist for.
    They are held to a FAR higher standard.
    all your examples are while not in uniform. what about when a citizen detains the wrong person? is it kidnapping? what about when 5 officers beat an unconscious man? i'd be happy if i only lost my job and didn't spend 5 years in the pen for assault with a deadly weapon with intent to do great bodily harm.


    Yes, the initial examples I gave were typically out-of-uniform infractions.
    But the POINT was that for the very SAME infraction, their penalty is typically HIGHER.
    When they screw up on the job, their every action is looked at under a microscope, and split second decisions are debated for hours and days.
    They have FAR less latitude than you or I.[/quote]



    so should the police who beat the motionless do pen time? isn't that only right? or is loosing their job enough? again your statement of much worse punishment i think is false. loosing your job when powers are abused is pretty much a given in any field . avoiding jail time is a whole separate issue

    "Caine" wrote:
    As for detaining the wrong person, it goes to "good faith" errors.
    Sadly, criminals don't typically have the word "Criminal" stenciled on their forehead, so SOMETIMES the officer has to ascertain the identity of people who may resemble the physical description.
    again compare citizens arrest with the wrong person to an officer doing the same thing. is there a penalty for the officer ? or is it considered part of the job?

    round and round we go , loosing your job is hardly punishment

    "Caine" wrote:
    I was pulled over once because a car similar to the one I was driving was used in a hold up.
    I allowed the officer to search the vehicle - to confirm it was not the one he was looking for - and I continued on my way, untasered and unbeaten.
    Should I have gotten my knickers in a knot over the event?
    if you want to waive your rights thats up to you.

    what would have happened if you would have asserted your rights?

    "Caine" wrote:
    "fourdoorchevelle][quote" wrote:
    Ironically, those who insist that they meet that higher standard are, more often than not, incapable of meeting that standard themselves.
    The same people screaming about bad cops are typically people who believe themselves to be above the law or that they are somehow owed something by our society.
    :

    being a libertarian pretty much takes me out of that group. so i must be a druggie and have several run in with police? (a response to another generalization posted)
    :

    give me a break
    My generalization was an intentional response to NUMEROUS generalizations I had been fielding throughout the discussion.
    Yet, oddly, you want to haul me on the carpet for the ONE I did, and support those made previously?


    And, in the paragraph quoted, I used the word "typically".
    Most of the people I see that are "Cop Haters" DO fall into the category I described...not ALL, but MOST.
    Hence, the word "typically".
    [/quote]

    first off you didn't use the term cop haters. you said
    who insist that they meet that higher standard
    big difference

    i have never stated i hate police officers, in fact reread my posts

    i like how you have totally avoided my orignal cited incident

    [youtube=425,350]68oOT2fhnpc[/youtube]

    not beaten unconscious, but unconscious then beaten.
    5 officers fired


    now this comes up every time , and there are good cops of course. but since they are merely doing their job they aren't the ones who are going to get the spot light. but when your job is to serve and protect and stuff like this happens , it deserves the attention.

    in my opinion these are far worse than citizens doing this same thing.


    "Caine][quote" wrote:
    "Caine]<br" wrote:

    since their job is to interrupt your day and what your doing and to make you pay a fine in a normal scenario than why would they be beloved?

    best case scenario they save a life or stop a crime from being committed. thats why they get a big fat pay check , great pension and retirement. no one shows up to my work with cameras when i figure whats wrong with the vehicle im working on. only when some shop is ripping their customers off.

    if your job offers you a shotgun/m-16/40 as standard issue , than you should have thick enough skin to deal with being labeled as does every other profession.
    Their JOB is to enforce the law.
    If you are having a negative run in with them, typically (There's that sneaky word again) you have BROKEN a law, and are on the receiving end of a citation/arrest.
    So, again, that would be a self-inflicted situation.
    so people should love officers for giving them tickets? dance cain dance

    "Caine]Yet" wrote:
    [quote]

    pfffft did i say that?!!! rofl!! spin cain spin

    "Caine]<br" wrote:
    [quote]

    really? mechanics dont get fired for incompetence?


    "Caine]<br" wrote:
    [quote]

    maybe not split second but have your ever had a wheel fall off on the freeway? how about a drive line fall out on the freeway? i might get to move up the seniority chain at my current job because the technician didn't use grade 8 bolts and caused a 5 car freeway accident. lives hang in the balance


    "Caine]<br" wrote:
    [quote]

    yes mechanics are beloved and adored by all .... heh

    maybe if i where shot at the job would come with guns and tactical training , maybe if they didn't want to get shot at they should do something else for a living


    "Caine]<br" wrote:

    you asked for it
    Also, in NO OTHER PROFESSION

    [quote author=Caine]
    Know what the #1 cause of death is for Police Officers?
    Suicide.
    Know why?
    Because of the incredible stress we - as a society - put on them.
    They have to be perfect, every time.
    They have to get the right guy, the right way, and before anyone else gets hurt.
    And if they don't...well, they get crucified in the papers, on tv, and on the internet.

    Ever screwed up an auto repair?
    Were you dragged through the mud for it?
    I doubt it.

    But hey, keep on hating cops.
    That's your perrogative.

    Caine

    where did i ever say i hated cops , i have family member cops who i get along with great

    you have never seen the tv expose's where they take the hidden camera into the "dirty auto shop"

    really?



    edited: have to fix tha quotes

    http://justlube.net/?page_id=44

  5. #105
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139

    Re: Vikings new linebacker?

    "fourdoorchevelle" wrote:
    [quote]

    REMOVED for SPACE

    "Caine]<br" wrote:
    [quote]

    you asked for it
    Also, in NO OTHER PROFESSION

    "Caine]<br" wrote:

    where did i ever say i hated cops , i have family member cops who i get along with great

    you have never seen the tv expose's where they take the hidden camera into the "dirty auto shop"

    really?



    edited: have to fix tha quotes
    1st:
    I didn't see your video, and I didn't comment on it.
    I wan't ignoring it, I simply saw the other 4 first.
    I have FREELY admitted throughout this entire thread that there are bad cops that do bad things and that they should be punished when they do.


    What I have argued is that they are not ALL bad, and that OFTEN when people ASSUME that the Police are wrong, they in fact are NOT, it is simply bias on the part of the individual, and a snap judgment made based upon an out-of-context snippet.

    After finally watching your video, I agree that those officers should be fired and prosecuted for - at the very least - felony battery.
    However, that doesn't alter my original statements that not all cops are like those, and that most, in fact, are NOT.

    2nd:
    I am neither dancing nor spin doctoring as I really don't feel the need to do either.
    I have merely presented a view point that does not conform to yours.
    Sadly, instead of taking my comments intact, you broke them up and tried to make them into something they were not.


    I never stated that people shouild love cops for receiving tickets, I merely pointed out that when you receive a ticket it's USUALLY because YOU did something wrong.
    That isn't the Cop's fault.
    Yet MANY people blame the cops for giving them tickets ("Don't you have real criminals to bust", "Why are you harrasing me", "Gotta fill yopur quota?"...I've heard a ton of them) even though it was THEIR actions that lead to it.

    3rd:
    About the "Cop Haters"...that post had a very specific target (not you), and was in response to a series of posts (none of which were yours).
    Nevertheless, that doesn't alter the fact that in my experience many of the people who scream about abusive Cops and try and label them all are, more often than not, involved in activities which lead them into direct opposition with the Police.


    4th:
    You tried to compare your job to that of the Police, really?
    Since your circumstances are nowhere near the same, I'd be interested to see how you feel the two line up.
    But feel free to try.

    While Mechanics may get fired for incompetance, so do Police Officers.
    But it doesn't take an incompetant Officer to make a mistake...one that will ALSO get them fired.
    It's difficult to compare the two fields because the situations they deal with are so dissimilar to yours.
    In high stress situattions, they have split seconds to react...you don't have that type of pressure (And neither do I).


    Maybe if they didn't want to be shot at....????
    What?!?!?
    No one WANTS to be shot at.
    And that type of response is a cop out (no pun intended).
    Most do the job because they want to HELP people.
    They want to make a difference in their communities.


    But I still fail to see how your job is even remotely close to theirs.

    Caine


  6. #106
    Purplebus is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    81

    Re: Vikings new linebacker?

    This doesn't look like a linebacker thread. I was interested in reading about a linebacker. Guess I'll have to turn back a page or two.

  7. #107
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,491

    Re: Vikings new linebacker?

    "Purplebus" wrote:
    This doesn't look like a linebacker thread. I was interested in reading about a linebacker. Guess I'll have to turn back a page or two.
    lol... the initial post was a cop who tackled an innocent kid, put him in a coma.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  8. #108
    Purplebus is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    81

    Re: Vikings new linebacker?

    I just found out. I went back page by page to discover that. I see why everyone is so tense now.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,232

    Re: Vikings new linebacker?

    "Caine" wrote:
    "fourdoorchevelle" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "fourdoorchevelle]<br" wrote:

    Also, when Law Enforcement officers "step out of line" [size=15pt]they ARE punished...usually a lot worse than the rest of us[/size].
    See, if you or I get arrested for a Domestic, we get some jail time, a ticket, and some public ridicule (for being a tard).
    If a cop gets one, he loses his job.
    We get multiple DUI's...no biggie.
    Cop with multiple DUIs...loses his job.
    And the list goes on.
    Cops get fired or suspended all the time for things that you or I would merely get a slap on the wrist for.
    They are held to a FAR higher standard.
    all your examples are while not in uniform. what about when a citizen detains the wrong person? is it kidnapping? what about when 5 officers beat an unconscious man? i'd be happy if i only lost my job and didn't spend 5 years in the pen for assault with a deadly weapon with intent to do great bodily harm.


    Yes, the initial examples I gave were typically out-of-uniform infractions.
    But the POINT was that for the very SAME infraction, their penalty is typically HIGHER.
    When they screw up on the job, their every action is looked at under a microscope, and split second decisions are debated for hours and days.
    They have FAR less latitude than you or I.


    so should the police who beat the motionless do pen time? isn't that only right? or is loosing their job enough? again your statement of much worse punishment i think is false. loosing your job when powers are abused is pretty much a given in any field . avoiding jail time is a whole separate issue

    "Caine" wrote:
    As for detaining the wrong person, it goes to "good faith" errors.
    Sadly, criminals don't typically have the word "Criminal" stenciled on their forehead, so SOMETIMES the officer has to ascertain the identity of people who may resemble the physical description.
    again compare citizens arrest with the wrong person to an officer doing the same thing. is there a penalty for the officer ? or is it considered part of the job?

    round and round we go , loosing your job is hardly punishment

    "Caine" wrote:
    I was pulled over once because a car similar to the one I was driving was used in a hold up.
    I allowed the officer to search the vehicle - to confirm it was not the one he was looking for - and I continued on my way, untasered and unbeaten.
    Should I have gotten my knickers in a knot over the event?
    if you want to waive your rights thats up to you.

    what would have happened if you would have asserted your rights?

    "Caine" wrote:
    "fourdoorchevelle][quote" wrote:
    Ironically, those who insist that they meet that higher standard are, more often than not, incapable of meeting that standard themselves.
    The same people screaming about bad cops are typically people who believe themselves to be above the law or that they are somehow owed something by our society.
    :

    being a libertarian pretty much takes me out of that group. so i must be a druggie and have several run in with police? (a response to another generalization posted)
    :

    give me a break
    My generalization was an intentional response to NUMEROUS generalizations I had been fielding throughout the discussion.
    Yet, oddly, you want to haul me on the carpet for the ONE I did, and support those made previously?


    And, in the paragraph quoted, I used the word "typically".
    Most of the people I see that are "Cop Haters" DO fall into the category I described...not ALL, but MOST.
    Hence, the word "typically".
    first off you didn't use the term cop haters. you said
    who insist that they meet that higher standard
    big difference

    i have never stated i hate police officers, in fact reread my posts

    i like how you have totally avoided my orignal cited incident

    [youtube=425,350]68oOT2fhnpc[/youtube]

    not beaten unconscious, but unconscious then beaten.
    5 officers fired


    now this comes up every time , and there are good cops of course. but since they are merely doing their job they aren't the ones who are going to get the spot light. but when your job is to serve and protect and stuff like this happens , it deserves the attention.

    in my opinion these are far worse than citizens doing this same thing.


    "Caine][quote" wrote:
    "Caine]<br" wrote:

    since their job is to interrupt your day and what your doing and to make you pay a fine in a normal scenario than why would they be beloved?

    best case scenario they save a life or stop a crime from being committed. thats why they get a big fat pay check , great pension and retirement. no one shows up to my work with cameras when i figure whats wrong with the vehicle im working on. only when some shop is ripping their customers off.

    if your job offers you a shotgun/m-16/40 as standard issue , than you should have thick enough skin to deal with being labeled as does every other profession.
    Their JOB is to enforce the law.
    If you are having a negative run in with them, typically (There's that sneaky word again) you have BROKEN a law, and are on the receiving end of a citation/arrest.
    So, again, that would be a self-inflicted situation.
    so people should love officers for giving them tickets? dance cain dance

    "Caine]Yet" wrote:
    [quote]

    pfffft did i say that?!!! rofl!! spin cain spin

    "Caine]<br" wrote:
    [quote]

    really? mechanics dont get fired for incompetence?


    "Caine]<br" wrote:
    [quote]

    maybe not split second but have your ever had a wheel fall off on the freeway? how about a drive line fall out on the freeway? i might get to move up the seniority chain at my current job because the technician didn't use grade 8 bolts and caused a 5 car freeway accident. lives hang in the balance


    "Caine]<br" wrote:
    [quote]

    yes mechanics are beloved and adored by all .... heh

    maybe if i where shot at the job would come with guns and tactical training , maybe if they didn't want to get shot at they should do something else for a living


    "Caine]<br" wrote:

    you asked for it
    Also, in NO OTHER PROFESSION

    "Caine]<br" wrote:

    where did i ever say i hated cops , i have family member cops who i get along with great

    you have never seen the tv expose's where they take the hidden camera into the "dirty auto shop"

    really?



    edited: have to fix tha quotes
    1st:
    I didn't see your video, and I didn't comment on it.
    I wan't ignoring it, I simply saw the other 4 first.
    I have FREELY admitted throughout this entire thread that there are bad cops that do bad things and that they should be punished when they do.


    What I have argued is that they are not ALL bad, and that OFTEN when people ASSUME that the Police are wrong, they in fact are NOT, it is simply bias on the part of the individual, and a snap judgment made based upon an out-of-context snippet.
    my point was that officers are not always punished more harshly than civilians, again i never stated that all officers where bad. apples and oranges argument


    "Caine]<br" wrote:
    [quote]

    Also, in NO OTHER PROFESSION are you so vehemently HATED for simply putting on a uniform
    i was trying to help you under stand why officers are not beloved, people don't enjoy receiving tickets and you came back with

    Their JOB is to enforce the law.
    so yes you danced around the point

    then you said this

    "Caine]Yet" wrote:
    [quote]

    and some how spun me explaining why leo's are not beloved into they are at fault

    "Caine]<br" wrote:
    [quote]

    again on the why they are "hated"


    "Caine]<br" wrote:
    [quote]

    while responding to my post
    But hey, keep on hating cops.
    That's your perrogative.
    so forgive me if i thought you where referring to me



    "Caine]<br" wrote:

    look into the context of the original comparison

    you said
    Too many people lump the majority of honest, hard working, honorable Law Enforcement Officers in with the small yet VERY noticable minority of floop-tards that slipped through the screening and got hired.
    and my response was the only time automotive technicians make the paper is when they screw up

    seems to me that automobile repair doesn't have a very good reputation, but if you want to make this a mechanic is as important as an leo argument, feel free

    [quote author=Caine]
    While Mechanics may get fired for incompetance, so do Police Officers.
    But it doesn't take an incompetant Officer to make a mistake...one that will ALSO get them fired.
    It's difficult to compare the two fields because the situations they deal with are so dissimilar to yours.
    In high stress situattions, they have split seconds to react...you don't have that type of pressure (And neither do I).


    Maybe if they didn't want to be shot at....????
    What?!?!?
    No one WANTS to be shot at.
    And that type of response is a cop out (no pun intended).
    Most do the job because they want to HELP people.
    They want to make a difference in their communities.


    But I still fail to see how your job is even remotely close to theirs.

    Caine

    and i know several leo's that have left the relatively small town i live in to go be on the force in oakland to "bust some heads" as they put it...... for less money


    but again this wasn't an argument about mechanics and leo's jobs being similar it was about why they are vilified and make the papers, and why your statement that officers are punished more harshly is false

    http://justlube.net/?page_id=44

  10. #110
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139

    Re: Vikings new linebacker?

    [quote author=fourdoorchevelle]...but again this wasn't an argument about mechanics and leo's jobs being similar it was about why they are vilified and make the papers, and why your statement that officers are punished more harshly is false
    [/quote]

    And yet, I disagree that the statement is false.
    While many of the situations I listed previously were "off Duty", in each case the ramifications for Police Officers were maore severe than for non-officers.
    For the exact same offense that might land you a couple days in jail, a police officer can (and likely will) be fired in addition.


    on the job...well, again, their job is so much different than most.
    But you cited "Citizen's Arrest".
    In Wisconsin, we don't have that.
    We cannot "arrest" anyone.
    We can "detain until the police arrive".
    But if I were to "detain" someone incorrectly - it depends upon why I did so, and what I believed the relevant circumstances were as to whether or not I'd get charged with false imprisonment.
    If I acted in "good faith", I'd probably not be charged.

    Believe it or not, I get why they are vilified.
    I get why the media makes such a big deal about the bad ones.
    Much the the media beat Abu Ghraib to death.
    Dirt sells.
    And the more power or authority the subject has, the more it sells.


    But that doesn't alter the fact that MOST encounters people have with police - where the individual is being arrested or cited - are encounters where the individual is WRONG.
    The police are simply doing the job they were hired to do, yet so often the subjects blame the officers for their being arrested/cited.


    No, you shouldn't love a cop for giving you a ticket...but you should recognize that it's YOUR fault he had to.

    Caine

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ex-Vikings linebacker Hilgenberg dies at 66
    By cogitans in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-27-2008, 05:33 PM
  2. Vikings believe E.J. Henderson is a Pro Bowl linebacker
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-16-2008, 01:40 PM
  3. Vikings: Depth at linebacker becomes a concern
    By ultravikingfan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2006, 04:11 AM
  4. Vikings Sign Linebacker
    By sodaknick in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-06-2006, 02:48 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •