Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,219

    Viking Longship to Sail Across North Sea

    [size=13pt]Viking Longship to Sail Across North Sea[/size]

    By JAN M. OLSEN

    Associated Press Writer


    Last Updated:May 27. 2007 5:00PM
    Published: May 27. 2007 5:00PM


    On the skipper's command, deckhands haul in tarred ropes to lower the flax sail. Oars splash into the water. The crew, grimacing with strain, pull with steady strokes sending the sleek Viking longship gliding through the fjord....

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #2
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,403

    Re: Viking Longship to Sail Across North Sea

    Yup. It's pretty cool. It's from the Viking ship museum that one can visit in Roskilde here in Denmark. They build those ships themselves with the old methods.

    This is the website from the Museum. For those interested it is actually possible to book a trip on one of their many Viking ships.

    Thanks to PPE for the sig.

  3. #3
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,219

    Re: Viking Longship to Sail Across North Sea

    Cogs, your link did not work.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  4. #4
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,403

    Re: Viking Longship to Sail Across North Sea

    "singersp" wrote:
    Cogs, your link did not work.
    I made a mistake, it has been rectified.

    Thanks to PPE for the sig.

  5. #5
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,219

    Re: Viking Longship to Sail Across North Sea

    "cogitans" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Cogs, your link did not work.
    I made a mistake, it has been rectified.
    Thanx for the link Cogs. It had just what I was looking for. I watched the animated video & looked at the actual pictures .

    I can't read Dutch, but it appears to take 4 years to build one. At least the one shown in stages by the pics.

    There certainly is a lot of detailed pieces that go into building one.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  6. #6
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,564

    Re: Viking Longship to Sail Across North Sea

    "singersp" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Cogs, your link did not work.
    I made a mistake, it has been rectified.
    Thanx for the link Cogs. It had just what I was looking for. I watched the animated video & looked at the actual pictures .

    I can't read Dutch, but it appears to take 4 years to build one. At least the one shown in stages by the pics.

    There certainly is a lot of detailed pieces that go into building one.
    You should buy one and put it in your yard.

  7. #7
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,219

    Re: Viking Longship to Sail Across North Sea

    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Cogs, your link did not work.
    I made a mistake, it has been rectified.
    Thanx for the link Cogs. It had just what I was looking for. I watched the animated video & looked at the actual pictures .

    I can't read Dutch, but it appears to take 4 years to build one. At least the one shown in stages by the pics.

    There certainly is a lot of detailed pieces that go into building one.
    You should buy one and put it in your yard.
    I'd love to have a small version of 1 in my yard decked out with Vikings norseman logos & decked out in purple & gold.

    It would piss-off the Packer fans here in WI, that's for sure.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  8. #8
    sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,505

    Re: Viking Longship to Sail Across North Sea

    Are they bringing our Super Bowl Trophy . . . FINALLY???
    ;D

    "No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Similar Threads

  1. NFC North preview - Breaking Down the NFC North
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 10:22 AM
  2. Viking Ship Sails North Sea!!!
    By cajunvike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 06:15 PM
  3. Fresh blood has stepped aboard the longship....
    By romanswinter in forum Free Beer!
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 10:16 PM
  4. NFC North
    By vikingsalltheway in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 05:13 PM
  5. San Diego & North County Viking Fan's
    By indigo joe in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 01:01 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •