Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

Vikes09's football season

Hey guys, it’s that time of year again, and it’s another exciting year of football for me. I’m heading into my junior year in high school, and I thought I could keep a record of my spring training and season for the next 2 years or so.

Just as a brief overview of what’s happened so far….
    I was originally a defensive end for my few years of playing, and I not only loved that position, but I became really good at it. Until recently I became somewhat of a health freak right before summer thanks to football and our off-season program, and I started loosing weight fairly quickly. After about 3 months I lost 45 pounds while still weight lifting and I was really in shape. Because of that I easily became the fastest DE, but was by far the smallest. We periodically test our 40 yd. dash times, which we do by running in groups consisting of 3 guys at a time. I asked the receiver coach if I could run with a couple of the receivers. He thought I was joking, and he jokingly said that he would let me, but if I didn’t beat at least one of them I’d have to run a couple timed 400’s as punishment. I was pissed off, and accepted his offer. I ended up beating that group of our receivers, and ended up running a 4.75. (Very skeptical considering our coaches are the ones timing, but it’s a time none-the-less) The DB coach pulled me aside, and asked if I had ever played safety! I was so excited, and all the coaches were fine with my position swap. I have been learning the position ever since, which has been a tad bit difficult with my coach, but I’ve come along adequately. Anyways, this all happened near the end of last year. I think that basically covers everything that’s significantly happened in the past off-season so far.

To get started, today was our first day of our 2-a-days. I walk into our team room, and I notice a depth chart on the walls. When I started looking at it I noticed that I wasn’t listed with the safeties. I wasn’t sure what was going on and asked one of our coaches if there was a mistake. He then showed me the other DB list, and that I’d moved to corner. That was really frustrating, and it was a horrible feeling knowing I’d have to learn another position while I was just getting the hang of safety. One side of our defense has a really solid corner, while the other side has an undersized kid who’s scared of contact. I was placed behind the former. It’s now an even steeper uphill battle to start.

We got started at 9:00 on the dot with each of the positions breaking up into our stretching groups. It was followed later by position specific drills. I did horrible during our agility drills, and my footwork was sketchy at best. But I can work on that, so I’m not too worried. Disappointed, but not worried. The agility drills were followed by coverage skills, and I did really well in most of those, but just because of my recovery speed. After that we got together as a defense and did a form of pursuit drills which I only participated in once because of the plethora of corners in our program. Today we reviewed our basic scheme (split strong 3), which is simple and isn’t hard to grasp by any means, and just 1 variation that’s also extremely simple. We then had about an hour for lunch. We returned with some more agility drills in which I did better, but not good enough to impress anyone. I then participated in our scout offense, our special teams, and any other way to contribute and try to show some flashes. I was tired at the end, to say the least, and we had to do conditioning drills. Three Gassers, each timed. If you didn’t make them you have to run them every day after practice. If you make them, you don’t have to run them till the season starts. Needless to say I made, them and ended the day strongly. We headed into our locker rooms at 4, with a full day of football behind us.

This year our school is picked to go all the way, and we’re excited of where we might end up. Of course, saying we’re that good isn’t worth a darn if we don’t go out there and prove it. Here’s to tomorrow!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikes09's football season

Thanks for the synopsis V9!
    Enjoy the position changes, it helps you to understand the game better in the long run.
    Best of luck to you!
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

Good Luck V9.
    I hope you have a great season.
    Do you play in Mn?
    What conference?

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Good luck in the next couple of years v9. Keep workin' hard and maybe you could play for the gophs some day!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Don't worry about being behind the good player, if your coaches are worth anything they'll put the best players as starters.
    I started at DE in high school, and similar to you, I was the smallest lineman on the team by at least 20 pounds (6-0, 200lbs).
    It's amazing how far good technique and discipline will get you at the High School level.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Good luck my friend.
    Keep us updated.
    Like Prophet said, the more positions you work at the better you will understand the game.

By the way, I hated Gassers.
    We always had to run them after every practice.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"vikes09" wrote:
    Hey guys, it’s that time of year again, and it’s another exciting year of football for me. I’m heading into my junior year in high school, and I thought I could keep a record of my spring training and season for the next 2 years or so.

Just as a brief overview of what’s happened so far….
    I was originally a defensive end for my few years of playing, and I not only loved that position, but I became really good at it. Until recently I became somewhat of a health freak right before summer thanks to football and our off-season program, and I started loosing weight fairly quickly. After about 3 months I lost 45 pounds while still weight lifting and I was really in shape. Because of that I easily became the fastest DE, but was by far the smallest. We periodically test our 40 yd. dash times, which we do by running in groups consisting of 3 guys at a time. I asked the receiver coach if I could run with a couple of the receivers. He thought I was joking, and he jokingly said that he would let me, but if I didn’t beat at least one of them I’d have to run a couple timed 400’s as punishment. I was pissed off, and accepted his offer. I ended up beating that group of our receivers, and ended up running a 4.75. (Very skeptical considering our coaches are the ones timing, but it’s a time none-the-less) The DB coach pulled me aside, and asked if I had ever played safety! I was so excited, and all the coaches were fine with my position swap. I have been learning the position ever since, which has been a tad bit difficult with my coach, but I’ve come along adequately. Anyways, this all happened near the end of last year. I think that basically covers everything that’s significantly happened in the past off-season so far.

To get started, today was our first day of our 2-a-days. I walk into our team room, and I notice a depth chart on the walls. When I started looking at it I noticed that I wasn’t listed with the safeties. I wasn’t sure what was going on and asked one of our coaches if there was a mistake. He then showed me the other DB list, and that I’d moved to corner. That was really frustrating, and it was a horrible feeling knowing I’d have to learn another position while I was just getting the hang of safety. One side of our defense has a really solid corner, while the other side has an undersized kid who’s scared of contact. I was placed behind the former. It’s now an even steeper uphill battle to start.

We got started at 9:00 on the dot with each of the positions breaking up into our stretching groups. It was followed later by position specific drills. I did horrible during our agility drills, and my footwork was sketchy at best. But I can work on that, so I’m not too worried. Disappointed, but not worried. The agility drills were followed by coverage skills, and I did really well in most of those, but just because of my recovery speed. After that we got together as a defense and did a form of pursuit drills which I only participated in once because of the plethora of corners in our program. Today we reviewed our basic scheme (split strong 3), which is simple and isn’t hard to grasp by any means, and just 1 variation that’s also extremely simple. We then had about an hour for lunch. We returned with some more agility drills in which I did better, but not good enough to impress anyone. I then participated in our scout offense, our special teams, and any other way to contribute and try to show some flashes. I was tired at the end, to say the least, and we had to do conditioning drills. Three Gassers, each timed. If you didn’t make them you have to run them every day after practice. If you make them, you don’t have to run them till the season starts. Needless to say I made, them and ended the day strongly. We headed into our locker rooms at 4, with a full day of football behind us.

This year our school is picked to go all the way, and we’re excited of where we might end up. Of course, saying we’re that good isn’t worth a darn if we don’t go out there and prove it. Here’s to tomorrow!

Sounds like all you gotta do is beat out the undersized kid who is scared of contact...sounds familiar...that's exactly what I had to do to start at corner.
    Just keep on pushing and you will make it.
    GOOD LUCK!!!

What is your height and current playing weight?
    Also, what are your maxes in bench, squat, etc.?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Perch56 is offline Pro-Bowler

good luck this year! im also in football this year (senior) and we just finished our 2 a days today, and our first scrimmage is on friday. can wait for the games b/c last year we were a couple plays away from playing in the championship game. we could have played at ford field, that would have been awesome

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

I hope you can adjust good, and i hope for you you and your school have a great season.
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Good luck to ya!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast