Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: V For Vendetta

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: V For Vendetta

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Well, the wife was like "no way", so we rented some movies.

Now iI have my own Vendetta!
    Bummer Ultra...unless of course you rented some uh...adult movies. :wink: In which case it's ok!

On another note...

I've done some reading on this and it seems like people want to make V for Vendetta into some sort of anti-Conservative crusade. I'm conservative politically and I really enjoyed the movie, so don't let that type of talk scare you away if you are conservative. It was originally written in the early 80s in response to the drifting on English politics more towards conservatism, so it's not entirely inaccurate to make that assumption, but to me it gives a harrowing look into what could happen to even OUR country if we suspend our freedoms out of fear, whether they be rejected by liberals or conservatives. I'm sure there are plenty of people drawing parallels to today's western world, and to me the story just takes what is going on today and exaggerates it.

You could really take the story at any point in history and relate it to some sort of political movement as most of the time when a party siezes power and dictators rise it usually happens in a similar way no matter the location.

To me the entire story just emphasizes the importance of our Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Things like freedom of the press, freedom of speech and the right to privacy are just so incredibly important, and if we suspend those freedoms out of fear then it makes it easier for some maniacal ruler to sieze control.

Anyway...good movie. :grin:

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

:drunken:
    I heard that the original writer of the graphic novel wants nothing to do with the movie.

Prophet Guest

I went to the movie last night. It was entertaining, definite political overtones and hollywood ideology woven into the script. It was a few hours worth of entertainment, I'll leave it at that.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I just saw this movie. One word- Wow. That movie was absolutely and completely astounding. Obvious political undertones. I laughed out loud at the so-called "conservative" party.

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    I just saw this movie. One word- Wow. That movie was absolutely and completely astounding. Obvious political undertones. I laughed out loud at the so-called "conservative" party.
    Well, I lie on pretty much the opposite end of the political spectrum from you PPE, and even I thought it was great.

It relates very well to today's society, and how if we're not careful things could get out of hand with the War on Terror and the huge emphasis on national security. I know you probably think we're already there PPE :wink:, but I think the movie shows what is so great about our country. We still have freedom of speech, freedom of the press, personal liberty and so on and so forth.

"ltrey33" wrote:
    Well, I lie on pretty much the opposite end of the political spectrum from you PPE, and even I thought it was great.

It relates very well to today's society, and how if we're not careful things could get out of hand with the War on Terror and the huge emphasis on national security. I know you probably think we're already there PPE :wink:, but I think the movie shows what is so great about our country. We still have freedom of speech, freedom of the press, personal liberty and so on and so forth.
    Yeah, I know what you are saying. I don't think we are quite at the level of the people in the movie obviously. I just thought it was a great movie but I think that many staunch conservatives will not like it. I can agree with you that it shows what is great about our country.

I was kind of surprised by it. When you said "political undertones" i wasn't expecting a movie centered around politics. :lol:

Anyways.. this is the best movie I have seen all year. Regardless of political affiliation... watch this movie. The theater I went to was empty... Kind of sad considering how good the movie was.

Ddawg84 is offline Starter

saw it toady... i really really enjoyed it!!!

"ltrey33" wrote:

Yeah, I know what you are saying. I don't think we are quite at the level of the people in the movie obviously. I just thought it was a great movie but I think that many staunch conservatives will not like it. I can agree with you that it shows what is great about our country.

I was kind of surprised by it. When you said "political undertones" i wasn't expecting a movie centered around politics. :lol:

Anyways.. this is the best movie I have seen all year. Regardless of political affiliation... watch this movie. The theater I went to was empty... Kind of sad considering how good the movie was.
    Well...I meant that the undertones were in relation to today's politics. The movie itself is certainly based around the politics of the story and very much on historical politics.

"ltrey33" wrote:
    "ltrey33" wrote:

Well...I meant that the undertones were in relation to today's politics. The movie itself is certainly based around the politics of the story and very much on historical politics.
    Agreed. It's strange how people from complete opposite sides of the political spectrum can enjoy the same movie despite the fact that it is based around politics. This is one reason why I despise the two-party system. It separates us. Makes it us vs. them. anyways... I'm ranting.

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Saw it last night as well and wow is vendetta pretty damn smart. He seems to be 10 steps ahead of everyone else.

That chancellor dude reminded me a lot about hilter and how he was always shouting, always mad, and always giving someone ridiculous orders to follow or have their head blown off. :lol:

Hard to see the uk becoming a facist type goverment right now although it just a movie. Wonder if anglovike saw this yet, if not he should. :wink:
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast