Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: USDA announces beef recall

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Just another reason to support your local Butchers.

They are a dieing breed but will still get you a quality piece of meat, cut the way you want it and you won't have to worry about all the crap like this.

Long story short, go find a farmer that sells animals on the hoof, get a good butcher to slaughter it, age it and cut it to your specifications.

You can't go wrong.

"This is not a paid advertisement for my Dad who lives in Northome MN.

;D)
    That's mostly what everybody does around here. buy a half a beef and have the local grocery store process it.
    Bet no one gets sick from the meat either.

Hell I still cut and wrap all of the meat we eat in our house.
    I get shoulders and hinds from a local butcher shop and process it here in my house.

Course it helps that I have the knowledge, a grinder, a slicer and a beautifull bride who is willing to help.

;D
    I saw a movie like that one time. Them good ole boys used chain saws!

When it comes to pork, chicken, and turkey,the majority of americans eat 'confined ' animals. They don't even realize the great flavor of food that has seen the sun and been allowed some exercise.
    Same thing goes for eggs.
    Meat from a locker is the best you can get. Especially if they are good at curing, smoking, and sausage making as well.

I take it those weren't the 'happy' California cows invlved in the recall. It's a harsh penalty to recall beef thats already been consumed.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

This was done due to the way they were treating animals and the fact that they were processing animals that couldn't walk under their own power at times, which is a no-no. If an animal cannot stand, there are rules that it should not be processed. They are just sending a message to other processors that it isn't worth it financially to do what this plant did.

We always get out meat locally from people we know. The government, in their mindless desire to please companies who can 'bring efficiency" to the market, are making harder all of the time for safe, responsible small butcher shops to exist. Pisses me off to no extent.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Webby" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    http://kstp.com/article/stories/S349810.shtml?cat=1

The U.S. Department of Agriculture on Sunday recalled 143 million pounds of frozen beef from a Southern California slaughterhouse that is being investigated for mistreating cattle.

Officials said it was the largest beef recall in the United States, surpassing a 1999 ban of 35 million pounds of ready-to-eat meats.

Here are the best parts of the article

The federal agency said the recall will affect beef products dating to Feb. 1, 2006, that came from Chino-based Westland/Hallmark Meat Co., which supplies meat to the federal school lunch program and to some major fast-food chains.

2 years ago?

and

Officials estimate that about 37 million pounds of the recalled beef went to school programs, but they believe most of the meat probably has already been eaten. There have been no reported illnesses linked to the beef at any of the schools.

Class II recall.

No one will be sickened by this.

Just something fun for the media to run wild with.
    Eat all the recalled meat and if it doesn't make you sick then I'll believe you

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "Webby" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    http://kstp.com/article/stories/S349810.shtml?cat=1

The U.S. Department of Agriculture on Sunday recalled 143 million pounds of frozen beef from a Southern California slaughterhouse that is being investigated for mistreating cattle.

Officials said it was the largest beef recall in the United States, surpassing a 1999 ban of 35 million pounds of ready-to-eat meats.

Here are the best parts of the article

The federal agency said the recall will affect beef products dating to Feb. 1, 2006, that came from Chino-based Westland/Hallmark Meat Co., which supplies meat to the federal school lunch program and to some major fast-food chains.

2 years ago?

and

Officials estimate that about 37 million pounds of the recalled beef went to school programs, but they believe most of the meat probably has already been eaten. There have been no reported illnesses linked to the beef at any of the schools.

Class II recall.

No one will be sickened by this.

Just something fun for the media to run wild with.
    Eat all the recalled meat and if it doesn't make you sick then I'll believe you
    I did and I shat out a packer fan.
    I guess it was contaminated.

At least I know where they come from now.
    Mommy's genetic disorder explanation never did sit right with me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12