Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unjust

purpleFavreEaters is offline Coordinator

Unjust

So did anybody else watch the State of the Union last night? I watched most of it but will be the 1st to admit GW just doesnt do it for me. What really disurbs me is the fact that they removed all those people before it began for wearing t-shirts they felt where protests. One women for example was wearing a shirt that stated "Support our Troops" I mean wtf why remove her, anywyas here is the article from the Trib discussing it. I am really disgusted in the direction our country is heading under the leadership of GW.
    Slogan T-shirt wearers removed from State of the Union gallery

WASHINGTON — Cindy Sheehan, mother of a fallen soldier in Iraq, wasn't the only one ejected from the House gallery during the State of the Union address for wearing a T-shirt with a war-related slogan that violated the rules. The wife of a powerful Republican congressman was also asked to leave.
    Beverly Young, wife of Rep. C.W. Bill Young of Florida — chairman of the House Defense Appropriations subcommittee — was removed from the gallery because she was wearing a T-shirt that read, "Support the Troops — Defending Our Freedom."

"Because she had on a shirt that someone didn't like that said support our troops, she was kicked out of this gallery," Young said on the House floor Wednesday morning, holding up the gray shirt.

"Shame, shame," he scolded.

Mrs. Young was sitting about six rows from first lady Laura Bush and asked to leave. She argued with police in the hallway outside the House chamber.

"They said I was protesting," she told the St. Petersburg Times. "I said, "Read my shirt, it is not a protest.' They said, 'We consider that a protest.' I said, 'Then you are an idiot."'

They told her she was being treated the same as Sheehan, a protester ejected before the speech Tuesday night for wearing a T-shirt with an antiwar slogan. Sheehan wrote in her blog Wednesday that she intends to file a First Amendment lawsuit.

"I don't want to live in a country that prohibits any person, whether he/she has paid the ultimate price for that country, from wearing, saying, writing, or telephoning any negative statements about the government," Sheehan wrote.

Capitol Police took Sheehan, invited as a guest of Rep. Lynn Woolsey, D-Calif., away in handcuffs and charged her with unlawful conduct, a misdemeanor. She later was released on her own recognizance.

Capitol Police Sgt. Kimberly Schneider said police warned her that such displays were not allowed in the House chamber, but Sheehan did not respond.

Woolsey gave Sheehan her only ticket earlier in the day — Gallery 5, seat 7, row A — while Sheehan was attending an "alternative state of the union" news conference by CODEPINK, a group pushing for an end to the Iraq war.

In her blog, Sheehan wrote that her T-shirt said, "2245 Dead. How many more?" — a reference to the number of soldiers killed in Iraq.

She said she felt uncomfortable about attending the speech.

"I knew George Bush would say things that would hurt me and anger me and I knew that I couldn't disrupt the address because Lynn had given me the ticket," Sheehan wrote. "I didn't want to be disruptive out of respect for her."

She said she had one arm out of her coat when an officer yelled, "Protestor."

"He then ran over to me, hauled me out of my seat and roughly (with my hands behind my back) shoved me up the stairs," she wrote. She was then cuffed and driven to police headquarters a few blocks away.

"I was never told that I couldn't wear that shirt into the Congress," Sheehan wrote. "I was never asked to take it off or zip my jacket back up. If I had been asked to do any of those things...I would have, and written about the suppression of my freedom of speech later."

Sheehan was arrested in September with about 300 other anti-war activists in front of the White House after a weekend of protests against the war in Iraq. In August, she spent 26 days camped near Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas, where he was spending a working vacation

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Unjust

As long as there is no balance in our government, things like this will continue to happen...and get even worse!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

I don't see the problem.

You can't where T-Shirts that try to get a point across there. Weather they are pro-war or anti-war.

purpleFavreEaters is offline Coordinator

The problem is that there is a rule that exists at all supporting the refusal of someones 1st amendmant rights especially in the very city that stands for our rights as a country.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Sheehan deserved to be removed. She was the guest of a Representative, and should have shown a little common sense. House rules have ALWAYS banned demonstrations on the floor. This has been in place for 50+ years. FYI, CNN is reporting that she was asked to close her jacket and she refused. (http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/01/31/sheehan.arrest/index.html) The is typical of her "tactics". Just like she claimed that the president refused all requests to meet with him, even though she had already met with him, in person, once before. Doesn't surprise me to see her stretching the truth. Also, it was not a party decision. Rep Young’s wife was also asked to leave with a much less offensive T-shirt.

Despite that, I was disappointed in GW's speech. He really just reiterated everything he has been saying for about the past month. He tried to offer some words about finding a solution to the war, but they came across as more of a directive for democrats.

I did like that he honored Justice O'Connor in his speech.

The rest was blasé, but that was no surprise.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Comon people,

This was the State of the Union speech, by the Commander and Chief of our Country, The President of the United States of America....

I don't care if it was Bush Jr., Bush Sr., Clinton., Kennedy, or Goerge Washington himself.

In no way is that an event to be wearing a T-Shirt anyways, show some dam respect. Talk about your support or or dislikes of any topic, to who ever you want outside of where the speech is taking place....

Show some dam respect..........

Personaly, they should have been kicked in the ass on the way out of the door....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Next time PurpleFavreEaters, please break up your paragraph into readable sections - makes it easier for us to read...

Thanks.
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

:argue:

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Bush is blasé...a puppet with Cheney's hand up his butt!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

I am fairly certain that this topic will end up locked, political threads are pretty much outlawed but I will say this.

If I invite you to my house for dinner and your wearing a shirt that says Meat is Murder, I'm throwing your ass out.

I'm not taking your shirt off, or taking away your right to wear the shirt. I am removing you from my property which is my right.

Take it a step further, say your shopping at Wal-Mart and you are wearing a shirt that says Wal-Mart blows, do they have the right to remove you? You bet your ass they do.

The funny thing in this situation is They were consistent, it wasn't an anti-war person getting thrown out it was a person wearing a shirt that had a message. They through out a republicans wife for wearing a support our troops shirt.

Their house, their rules. You don't like it then sit across the street.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast