Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: union busting republicans..........

"ltrey33" wrote:
    The point is that no matter which political party is in office the middle class takes it up the rear end. We're a middle class family, and we're republicans, and we don't make nearly 300,000 or even 200,000 dollars a year. Bush gave tax breaks to the "wealthy" yes, but also keep in mind that they still pay a whole boat load of taxes because they make that much more. The truly poor pay very little or no taxes (and some even get money back). So the bottom line is that the really wealthy can afford it, the poor don't have to worry about it, and the burden is put on the middle class. The difference is that democrats support higher taxes for BOTH the middle class and the upper class, while giving back more to the lower class. Either way the middle class takes the brunt of the tax beating....it's just a matter of different ideaology of who should get your money and how much they should get. Don't bash someone just because they're republican, we're all entitled to our opinions.
    You're quite right about the middle class as the fulcrum point, but I feel it necessary to weigh in and make some clarifications about your assertions.
    The difference between republicans and democrats when it comes to social spending on poverty-reduction programs TODAY is really quite negligible. The republicans of today are a far cry from the Nixon- era republicans. President Bush, for instance, still maintains a high level of spending for the Department of Education (NCLB), and the Department of Human Services (I think it's DHHS at least) now spends incredible amounts of money, which has been increased through the compassion campaign. I don't think it's tenable to argue that republicans favor lower social spending. At least that has not been the case in the last five years.

And while there certainly is a difference between the parties on who to tax and how much, I should point out that in the past 5 years, the current republican administration has spent America into the largest deficit in its history while expanding the size of government. The tax break/cut sounds good now, but the middle class will be even more tax-burdened in ten years. The middle-class households don't have to pay now, but they will have to pay a lot in ten-fifteen years from now, perhaps sooner. And they'll have to do it regardless of whether the reps, dems, or refs, are in office.

Unfortunately, loans/grants for college tuition has become much harder to obtain. At the same time, states are cutting back their funding on public universities. I am concerned that this policy (ushered in by reps at both national and state levels) will doom the growth of the middle class. These policies make it more difficult to obtain the resources for higher education, which, as many know, have become the linchpin for mass upward mobility. While the future is incredibly hazy, the reps higher education policy and low tax, high spend fiscal policy don't bode well for the future growth of the middle class. IMO, they are quite regressive.

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

"zimtwister" wrote:
    bowchee [bobby bouchei] i am just saying that there are a lot of uninformed people who, if informed would not vote republican. welcome aboard ppo- by the way i'm in zimtown.-
    There's those kinds of people in both the Republican and Democratic parties.

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

zimtwister is offline Coach

the one good thing about giving charity yourself is you know exactlly where its going. i saw this reporter ask bush what a loaf of bread costs these days- he said i think i seen it on sale for $7.50.thats how out of touch these guys are[yes i'm sure kerry would have no clue also, dang rich politicions]have a great weekend! skol vikes!
    "you dream of beating me, its time you wake up and apologize."

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"zimtwister" wrote:
    bowchee [bobby bouchei] i am just saying that there are a lot of uninformed people who, if informed would not vote republican. welcome aboard ppo- by the way i'm in zimtown.-
    And you are misinformed.

For the record, under the Bush tax cuts every tax bracket got a tax break (everyone got the same percentage of their taxes cut).

BTW, the wealthiest 2% pay over 50% of income taxes, meaning they account for over 50% of the income tax revenule.

Both parties are Bull SH*T. Until we get rid of the piss poor leaders, both dems and reb, and get back to the kind of hard working honest leaders this country
    was founded by. I'm talking about people who are in office to serve the public and not them selves. This country will keep siralling down into this deep dark abyss and will become another blip on the radar of great societys that became to confident and imploded. I also think congress in the worst of the worst. The idea that congress can vote themselves there own raise is almost but not quite as stupid as we the people letting them do it.
    6949da5ce3db19514b6088f4f00ffabd

"Viking_Spirit" wrote:
    For the record, under the Bush tax cuts every tax bracket got a tax break (everyone got the same percentage of their taxes cut).

BTW, the wealthiest 2% pay over 50% of income taxes, meaning they account for over 50% of the income tax revenule.
    what source are you consulting for those figures?

The last time I checked ( and I checked 1999 data) the wealthiest 2% accounted for about 25% of income tax revenue. If it's doubled in the past 5 years, that's incredible.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Viking_Spirit" wrote:

This is circular logic at its worst...and unless you can show me specific numbers to back that up, just totally wrong!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

I've seen those numbers used on a bunch of political shows (Crossfire, O'Reilly Factor, Scarbourough Country, Inside Politics, etc.). If those figures are wrong, then there's alot of pundits who have that wrong.

Edit-I think it was the top 2% accounting for over 50% of the tax burden, not over 50% of income tax revenue. My bad on that one.

why do these controversial posts always seem to start on Fridays? Things get heated up and then the work day is over and few people return to them over the weekend and they get dropped. it's just so anti-climatic and lacks closure.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast